Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:01:31 AM
713329 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Movies of the Future" - Troma Entertainment « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Movies of the Future" - Troma Entertainment  (Read 3355 times)
claws
« on: June 20, 2020, 04:48:29 AM »

^^ That is one of their slogans, and it made me wonder about Troma's future indeed. Troma was at their peak in the 1980s and had a few hits in the 1990s. Their last two produced movies are Return to Nuke 'Em High Volume 1 and its sequel Return to Return to Nuke 'Em High AKA Volume 2 released in 2013 and 2018. They uploaded over 100 titles on their youtube channel in 2012, with indie companies (Vinegar Syndrome) cherry picking movies for release on Blu-ray.

Seems like they haven't done much or anything at all in the digital age (except for uploading to their youtube channel). According to wiki Troma appears to be financial struggling for a long time. I guess Troma's future is based on nostalgia only, with no signs of revival like for example Hammer Film Productions. What do you think?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 05:58:36 AM »

I am surprised that in the age of the si-fi channel and Sharknado that they haven't been able to stage a renaissance. Perhaps not with exactly the same format for their movies but in some manner.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
claws
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 06:44:14 AM »

True. Troma made most their money from buying and altering (Troma-tizing) indie movies and making distribution deals with other companies (during the haydays of video rental). It wasn't until the 1990s when Troma finally launched their own video label. The indie film market obviously has changed since the 1980s, they don't have to depent on Troma to release their stuff anymore.
Troma has an interesting back catalogue but they never gave them a proper release on DVD, Blu-ray or digital. They were either too lazy or too cheap to restore their own movies in HD widescreen.
chainsaw midget
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 08:00:05 AM »

Lazy and cheap pretty much defines Troma. 

Tack, gross and tasteless on there and you've nailed 'em. 

There just doesn't seem to be the marker for their particular brand of gross anymore and the indie scene has grown to the point where their particular style of cheap no longer stands out. 

If they were smart, they'd do another Toxic Avenger or Sgt. Kabukiman to take advantage of superhero popularity. 
claws
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 08:29:33 AM »

A former online friend dabbled in acting, she somehow crossed paths with Lloyd Kaufman and became a "Tromette of the Month" or something like that in the 2000s, resulting in a 10 second bit-part in Poultrygeist, and pictures of Kaufman ogling over her boobs.

Trash with no class, but that is Troma's trademark.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 08:33:08 AM »

They have a new one coming out this year. NSFW trailer: https://youtu.be/egGBrd0_s3Q

Lloyd Kaufman (and Michael Herz) are super-old and insists on doing everything themselves, so it's natural they've slowed down.

I'm not much of a fan of their style. But you have to give them credit for remaining independent and not selling-out their beliefs (trashy as they may be).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 10:09:18 AM »

That looks DREADFUL.

Now I want to watch it . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 10:28:57 AM »

I love Lloyd but he is getting up there in years. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is slowing down just because he finally needs to.

As for Troma’s releases I will say that them making so much of their catalog available for free is great for fans. However, a side effect of it is it’s really killed the market for most of their DVDs/Blu-rays. As a re-seller I’d love to carry Troma titles and have had the opportunity to. However I never have outside of a few rare copies because they’re impossible to make a profit with. Some of their rare and impossible to find releases still catch a good price. But them not remastering movies plus the movies being easily available for free doesn’t leave a crowd wanting to buy physical copies.
claws
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 01:22:06 PM »

That Trailer actually has me interested  BounceGiggle

If anything, Vinegar Syndrome saved quite a few Troma titles from obscurity by releasing them in widescreen und in most cases uncut for the very first time ever on Blu-ray:

dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2020, 01:57:43 PM »

That Trailer actually has me interested  BounceGiggle

If anything, Vinegar Syndrome saved quite a few Troma titles from obscurity by releasing them in widescreen und in most cases uncut for the very first time ever on Blu-ray:

I appreciate the work Vinegar Syndrome does, but most of their titles are too rich for my blood. The only copy of Zombie Island Massacre I’ve ever owned was on a Triple B Header release Troma put out years ago.

I love the work in theory, but just too pricey for me to splurge  Smile Especially with those titles which you can mostly find for free to legally stream.
claws
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 02:51:14 PM »

VS are catering to collectors obviously. All movies are brand new 2k scans from the original print, all discs include tons of extras, original art, liner notes etc. I mean, where else do you get to see Blood Hook in its original 111 minute version with pristine quality? This is the kind of love and care Troma should have treated their movies with. It's a shame they didn't bother.

dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 03:05:28 PM »

VS are catering to collectors obviously. All movies are brand new 2k scans from the original print, all discs include tons of extras, original art, liner notes etc. I mean, where else do you get to see Blood Hook in its original 111 minute version with pristine quality? This is the kind of love and care Troma should have treated their movies with. It's a shame they didn't bother.

Like I said I get it, but unfortunately can’t vote with my dollars to support it. I’d rather keep fuller pockets  Smile I just have way too much content freely available that I have trouble getting around to, to justify spending $30+ on a release.

Restoration jobs aren’t cheap so I hope Vinegar Syndrome keeps finding enough collectors to warrant the restorations and give them a profit. I loved Media Blasters’ Shriek Show label and they put out a lot of great releases without quite the top notch care Vinegar Syndrome is said to have had. But Media Blasters really cut down on their output of releases. I’m not sure if they even put out anything under the Shriek Show label anymore. I was pretty sure Media Blasters as a whole was dead outside of maybe their hentai label, but I just checked their website and it’s actually been updated fairly recently. Although they felt compelled to put a, “Yes, We’re Open” sign at the top of the page  BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:14:53 PM by dcj2112 » Logged
claws
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 03:34:50 PM »

Like I said I get it, but unfortunately can’t vote with my dollars to support it. I’d rather keep fuller pockets  Smile I just have way too much content freely available that I have trouble getting around to, to justify spending $30+ on a release.

Understandable. We all have to make ends meet. Collecting movies is my only hobby so I'm always glad to see favorites from the past getting the royal treatment and are up for purchase, though my buying habits did change over the years. I'm not buying as much as I used to but when I do I make it count  Smile

I loved Shriek Show back in DVD days but I don't think I own any Media Blaster/Shriek Show titles on Blu-ray.
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 03:45:32 PM »

Understandable. We all have to make ends meet. Collecting movies is my only hobby so I'm always glad to see favorites from the past getting the royal treatment and are up for purchase, though my buying habits did change over the years. I'm not buying as much as I used to but when I do I make it count  Smile

I loved Shriek Show back in DVD days but I don't think I own any Media Blaster/Shriek Show titles on Blu-ray.

Yeah, I don’t think Shriek Show put out much on Blu-ray if anything. I remember stumbling across the Flesh and Blood Show on Blu-ray which I believe was a release by them but it could have been by someone else or just a bootleg of their DVD version on Blu-ray.

I’m glad someone is buying these anyways  Smile As I said you vote with your dollars so if no one buys them they’ll go away. Currently I’m saving to buy a house so I’m putting almost all my votes towards that lol.

For a less expensive deal I hope VS licenses out some of their prints to the streaming services I use. That way they still get paid and more viewers get to see the prints. Plus, collectors still get the bells and whistles as exclusives not on streaming so everybody wins  Smile I know Code Red has done that and I love it. Much better than when Amazon Prime uses a crappy VHS rip and tries to promote it as “retro”
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 08:03:00 AM »

Small | Large

I remember watching this interview, it's hilarious but also quite insightful. Indies have it rough, that's for sure. I especially liked the part where he talked about his movie being removed from the only cinema it was showing because they had to make more room for INDIANA JONES SKULL f**kERTeddyR

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Movies of the Future" - Troma Entertainment « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.