Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:55:12 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  William Grefe Movies (Wild Rebels, Stanley, Sting of Death, Etc.) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: William Grefe Movies (Wild Rebels, Stanley, Sting of Death, Etc.)  (Read 2485 times)
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 23, 2020, 05:50:05 PM »

I’m about to listen to some commentary tracks from him on the Something Weird double feature DVD I got for his movies Death Curse of Tartu / Sting of Death.

I read that they were released as a drive-in double feature way back in 1966. I’m curious if they really put Death Curse of Tartu on as the A picture since that gets first billing. Neither are great films but Sting of Death is definitely the superior picture. It even has an original song in it called “Do the Jellyfish” by Neil Sedaka. YouTube it with caution as that damn thing will get stuck in your head.

I also think I have his movie Stanley lying around somewhere on a budget release. But after these two I can’t say I’m in a rush to watch it  BounceGiggle

Anyway have you folks seen anything by him or have any opinions of his movies?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »

DEATH CURSE OF TARTU was actually shown on TCM last year or so... I think I wrote a "dumb film" review here about it.  It's rotten... and sometimes fun because of that fact.  Truly a turd pile.   Thumbup TeddyR 

Found it :

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,150541.0.html
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:03:43 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:34:22 PM »

DEATH CURSE OF TARTU was actually shown on TCM last year or so... I think I wrote a "dumb film" review here about it.  It's rotten... and sometimes fun because of that fact.  Truly a turd pile.   Thumbup TeddyR 

Found it :

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,150541.0.html

Haha cool stuff!

I just got done listening to the commentary tracks and here are a few things I found interesting...

*Grefe had already made Sting of Death before Tartu, but the distributor only wanted double features for drive-in horror movies. So Grefe had to make a movie as fast as possible to rush it out by A certain deadline so both could get distributed. He wrote Tartu in one 24 hour period then shot the whole movie in 8 days.

*All the animals used in Tartu were real and owned by an animal handler Grefe would work with a bunch. For the alligator Grefe wanted a tame one to work with the cast. The handler owned alligators but he didn’t have any big enough for what Grefe wanted. So he captured one in the Everglades the night before they shot the alligator scenes. The alligator was about 12 feet long and couldn’t fit in the handler’s pickup so he had to tie the alligator’s tail back to fit him in.

*The female cast didn’t want to work with the alligator. Grefe got close to the alligator to try to convince her it was safe and the alligator started beating him with his tail. Grefe said the hits felt like sledgehammers. She needed a lot more convincing after that.

*For Sting of Death the only reason they were able to get Neil Sedaka is because he just happened to be in town as they were shooting. They threw a few thousand dollars at him and he recorded, “Do the Jellyfish”

The commentary tracks were a lot of fun. You never know with some of these older directors. Grefe is still kicking, but I’m not sure if he’s recorded anymore. These ones are helped out greatly as well by having Frank Henenlotter (the guy who directed Basker Case) sit in. Also, just a follow up to something else I mentioned Grefe’s Stanley appears on the DVD set Gorehouse Greats. I’ve had that set for about 2 years now and haven’t gotten through much of it. It’s chalk full of crap, but is far from the worse budget set I own. You can get it for under $6 including shipping on eBay these days  Smile
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:39:40 AM »

Of Grefe's movies I've seen STING OF DEATH (1966) which is hilarious, the WILD REBELS (1967) which is stupid, STANLEY (1972) which is a z-budget WILLARD with snakes instead of rats, and IMPULSE (1974) with William Shatner- which I loved!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 06:25:50 PM »

Even the pressbook art is cheezy!

Oh- for the record...Neil Sedaka also did the music for the talking coochie movie CHATTERBOX (1977)!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »

Even the pressbook art is cheezy!

Oh- for the record...Neil Sedaka also did the music for the talking coochie movie CHATTERBOX (1977)!

Hehe I have to track down Chatterbox and similarly the movie about a penis with super powers featuring Vincent Price. I can’t recall the name right now, but I’m sure someone here knows  Smile

As for Sedaka I’m also pretty sure he edits his own Wikipedia page lol. Or at least a super fan/someone from his team does. The incorrect formatting and overly detailed descriptions of minutia are a dead giveaway.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 08:13:18 PM »

^ The one with Vinnie is IT"S NOT THE SIZE THAT COUNTS (1974)!

UGH! I haven't seen it- but I need to!

Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:59:42 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
JJ80
Nutter Magnet
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 08:48:57 AM »

I've only seen "Sting Of Death" but the bubble-headed 'Jellyfish' monster and the ridiculous party sequence with the Neil Sedaka song made it a worthwhile watch.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  William Grefe Movies (Wild Rebels, Stanley, Sting of Death, Etc.) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.