Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:49:28 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nothing But Trouble (1991) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Nothing But Trouble (1991)  (Read 8135 times)
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 29, 2020, 09:18:48 PM »

I picked this up on DVD since the fellas on Last Podcast on the Left mention it all the time. However, the reason I post about it here is that on another podcast the host went on and on trashing it (Pop Culture Pete). And then of course it is of course regarded as notoriously bad with Roger Ebert refusing to write a review for it and it bombing at the box office.

As for my impressions I found it to be an enjoyable time. But with horror elements combined with some of the biggest names of comedy from the 1980s/early 1990s, I’m pretty predisposed to enjoy such a film.

Anyway, what do you fine folks think of this one?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:44:06 PM by dcj2112 » Logged
pennywise37
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 11:22:38 PM »

i love it and it's easily one of my favorite films, i have it on VHS and dvd. i dunno if it's on blu-ray though to be honest i love this film so much that now get this,

my brother thought it was terrible when he first saw it that he at some point went back and watched it cause he saw how much i love this film that he ended up changing his mind about the thing. that NEVER has happened before or since on any other film that i can think of no joke. yeah i know it bombed when it came out

i also am a huge Digital Underground fan as well so that was another reason why i  wanted to see it too.
claws
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 12:47:38 AM »

Classic bad movie that is usually loved by many. I've only seen it once or twice back in the 90s. I was impressed by the set design but didn't care much about the rest. I thought for a comedy it failed at making me laugh.

I never gave the film a chance to grow on me. Wouldn't mind to revisit but it is not available on blu.
pennywise37

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:09:12 AM »

ya know i hope it does make you laugh now that you are older and even if it doesn't i give you props for at least giving it a chance.  i've got a dark sense of humor so this film is perfect for me. though i do wish they had used the Original title though
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 07:39:41 AM »

It's an enjoyable mess.

I run a "what was that movie" site on the side, and for a while this was one of the most asked about movies. It seems everyone had caught a minute or two of it when it constantly played on HBO in the 90s, and it stuck in their mind.

Dan Aykroyd's character's nose looks unmistakably like a small penis.

It wasn't my pick, but others insisted, so it made 366 Weird Movies' list of the weirdest movies of all time: https://366weirdmovies.com/269-nothing-but-trouble-1991/

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 10:04:46 AM »

I saw it for the first time earlier this year, though I have been curious about it for a very long time. 

As I somewhat expected, it was a total dumpster fire of a movie. For a supposed "comedy" it wasn't terribly funny, but I enjoyed it for the bizarre set designs and its overall weird vibe (and for Demi Moore's short skirt and cleavage). 

I think Aykroyd was going for a mix of "Beetlejuice" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" but as a first time director he didn't have the chops to pull it off successfully.

The movie definitely torpedo'd Chase & Aykroyd's statuses as comedy A-listers. I don't think either of their careers ever recovered from it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
chainsaw midget

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 01:01:23 PM »

It's a bizarre movie that at times seems like it doesn't even know what kind of movie it wants to be, but it's certainly an interesting one. 

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 01:19:15 PM »

I do like the setting of this movie.  The old style house with its secrets and traps (and this is pre -Saw in the middle of a trash dump over a mine fire that's been burring for years.  Like it almost combines the settings of Resident Evil and Silent Hill together, sans the supernatural elements.  I mean, the judge seems to be abnormally old, and then there's the  twins-but all still fall in the more naturalistic side of things.  I could see a stealth based game being made out of this movie.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
pennywise37

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 05:31:24 AM »

yes it is a Bizzar film and it's not for everyone to say the least, i don't think it killed anyone's career Dan Ackroyd's career he has done far worse movies such as Ghostbusters (2016) for example.

Chevy Chase? no his film career started to go downhill once he stopped doing R rated films and started to do family pictures. he changed it when he became a father. John Candy" uh no he's done far far worse The Clown Murders" (1976) anyone? that film is really awful and he's done worse than that too check out It seemed like a good idea at the time (1975) and Find The lady (1976) the sequel is worse and i think his worst film. 

but yeah i can see this being a video game, my dream video game is easily The Dark Tower Series i dunno why they never made it a video game but it would so freaking work.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »

I'd day Vega Vacation and the Checy Chase Show are what killed Checy Chase's career, that and his behind the scenes antics. 

With John Candy, I think he died before his career could. 
pennywise37

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 01:35:02 AM »

it wasn't just Vegas Vacation he had a lot of flops Invisible Man (1992) a film i liked was a huge flop he had one flop after another honestly can anyone remember the last hit he even had in the 90's? it wasn't because of this movie either "Cops & Robbers (1994) i think its' name was? is actually a pretty good movie but it flopped as well as did Vegas Vacation.

but no doubt it was my guess also his Ego as well. and i agree about Candy his films still did pretty good before he died as far as i can tell anyways. they weren't bad enough to kill his career though
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 07:59:48 AM »

It's a film I would have liked to have seen developed a bit more. It could have been a great film or maybe a really kooky TV show.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
pennywise37

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 04:24:16 PM »

that's a fair remark on it i do agree with that i wish it had been developed more i also think it's vastly underrated though i wonder if it would have been a hit had it been released today?  it is different though and it has the chick from Mr. Mom i believe who said i know what's wrong with your TV set This Shoe.

great line i think and i forget her name too, i do get a good chuckle that you can hear the balloons that Candy is Wearing when he's dressed as the daughter and he gives Chevy Chase a great big hug.   i doubt that was on purpose though, it makes me wonder how many takes they did of that cause the balloons popped?

TeddyR
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 09:54:34 PM »

it wasn't just Vegas Vacation he had a lot of flops Invisible Man (1992) a film i liked was a huge flop he had one flop after another honestly can anyone remember the last hit he even had in the 90's? it wasn't because of this movie either "Cops & Robbers (1994) i think its' name was? is actually a pretty good movie but it flopped as well as did Vegas Vacation.

but no doubt it was my guess also his Ego as well. and i agree about Candy his films still did pretty good before he died as far as i can tell anyways. they weren't bad enough to kill his career though

Memoirs Of An Invisible Man (1992) was not as bad as critics made it out to be, it just seemed at times that it didn't know whether it wanted to be serious or a comedy. And Cool Runnings (1993) is still one of my favorite John Candy movies, and not just because he died that year. It's hard to even call him a comedian in that film; the film is a comedy but not because of John Candy; his role was more serious and low-key when you watch him in it.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
pennywise37

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 03:15:31 AM »

looking it up Candy died in (1994) i can tell you what i was doing the day i found out he died actually me and my brother were watching 'The Love Bug (1969) on The Disney Channel as a matter of Fact. i love Chevy Chase's Invisible Man film and i agree with you part of it was serious and the rest was a comedy that was no doubt added from added some of it from Chevy himself. i dunno if it was all ad lib but it's a better film than most people think it is at least i think so anyways and Cool Running's (1993) is a classic Comedy and yeah it had serious moments but most comedy's have that i think.

the real reason that Chevy's career tanked for years is simply one reason and one reason only family movies he insisted on only doing them and that limits your talent i think. i dunno what films he does now cause i haven't seen a movie from him in years but his kids are now grown and adults he should branch out outside of family movies and do something different now.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nothing But Trouble (1991) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.