Main Menu

New member ROBOTS?

Started by Allhallowsday, July 30, 2020, 05:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allhallowsday

When I come here I notice lots of members "logged in" who don't seem to have ever posted anything...
If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

claws

"Who's Online" is showing these "new members" posting something, but they never do. Seems like quite a few signed up on July 16th.

claws

Example

QuoteDavinMix    11:58:10 AM    Posting a new topic in Off Topic Discussion.
QuoteKeganhype    11:59:59 AM    Posting a new topic in Off Topic Discussion.
QuoteBrianvax    12:06:12 PM    Posting a new topic in Off Topic Discussion.

Rev. Powell

Yep. As long as they don't successfully post spam, we just ignore them. Since you have to have 10 posts to post a link, a lot of them just try to post spam but are automatically blocked. They rarely get through the automated defenses.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

RCMerchant

Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Allhallowsday

Quote from: Rev. Powell on July 30, 2020, 07:45:10 AM
Yep. As long as they don't successfully post spam, we just ignore them. Since you have to have 10 posts to post a link, a lot of them just try to post spam but are automatically blocked. They rarely get through the automated defenses.
Maybe they should be banned? 
I always look at who is online when I come to this forum.  It is now another feature that no longer works.

Rev. Powell

Quote from: Allhallowsday on July 30, 2020, 04:43:51 PM
Quote from: Rev. Powell on July 30, 2020, 07:45:10 AM
Maybe they should be banned? 
I always look at who is online when I come to this forum.  It is now another feature that no longer works.

I don't want to spend my free time banning annoyance bots. Ban one, another registers tomorrow. It may be possible to ban registrations from certain problematic ips or email domains, however. There probably aren't any legitimate users here using "mail.ru" addresses. I'll look into it.

Rev. Powell

I tried a filter that may keep a large number (not all) from registering.

Allhallowsday

I haven't seen several "members" unknown to me as "active" ever before until just recently.  "Members" as it turned out aren't "active" at all.  I understand the state of things and felt I should report it.  Thanks, Rev!   :thumbup:

Trevor

There's quite a few bots that come on as being online here: I even messaged one a while back, no reply though.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

ER

I did a double-take when I thought I saw one of the bots had my son's name.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.