Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:50:47 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Genre Interest: Where did it start? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Genre Interest: Where did it start?  (Read 7342 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: September 08, 2020, 06:45:59 PM »

I was thinking and wondering where and when...Just trying to figure out recently where my initial interest in sci-fi, fantasy, horror, movie monsters truly began.

Suspect some major early influences from childhood that led to this interest was comic books (loved Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four, The Mighty Thor, The Justice League of America, and  The Legion of Super-Heroes titles as a kid), but then there were also cartoons (I grew up watching He-Man, Scooby-Doo, The Smurfs, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Teddy Ruxpin, Inspector Gadget, The Real Ghostbusters, The Mighty Hercules, Marvel Animation like Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk and Namor too) and there was also kids' show like The Muppet Show, Sesame Street which now that I really think about featured monsters and aliens and critters of all kinds.

Also there was a kids variety show in Canada called "Switchback" on which I recall them airing episodes of the 60s Batman series and The Munsters. Plus there was the Wonderful World of Disney which led me to check out Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pete's Dragon, The Jungle Book, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Witch Mountain films, the Herbie films. They sparked my interest in Sci-fi with Tron and The Black Hole. Growing up in the 70s and 80s too I recall the popularity of stuff like Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Teen Wolf, Back to the Future, Superman movies. In the 70s TV series such as The Incredible Hulk, The Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, and The Bionic Woman were all quite popular as I recall watching them too as a kid..

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »

for me it started with The Incredible Hulk 1978 TV series  Thumbup

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »

When I was a very young child growing up in Texas, there was a Sunday afternoon movie feature on Channel 11 called "Family Theater," but what it really showed was classic horror films. DRACULA, THE WOLF MAN, FRANKENSTEIN, THE MUMMY - even one of the most boring horror movies of all time, THE MONOLITH MONSTERS.  I loved those old movies and they inspired a lifelong love of horror films.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 07:01:39 PM »

I lived in a suburb where everybody had cable in the early eighties...
I seem to recall my mom & my sister complaining about the production values of Mister Roger's Neighborhood of all things.... Apparently, in this one episode, he failed to completely pull a handpuppet down over his shirt sleeve...

In the summer of '86, my parents split up, my mom was going through the psycho divorced mom and the born again christian thing at the same time, so I was hiding out in my room 24/7 with a cheep black & white, & we lived on a block where cable wasn't available.....
That's when I started to figure out that the really fun movies were on in the wee hours of the morning...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 07:36:31 PM »

I think it may have been seeing YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN at the drive-in in 1976 or 1977 that drove me to my "monster kid" phase. Soon after I know I picked up "Dracula" and an H.P. Lovecraft anthology from the library.

For sci-fi, I probably just liked some of the covers of the books my mom was reading at about the same time I became interested in monsters. I remember I got a subscription to Isaac Asimov's magazine, and later "Omni." And of course STAR WARS hit around the same time, when I was the perfect age for it (9).

Soon after those I discovered "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings." I'm not sure how I came across them but I know it was in 5th or 6th grade.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:40:11 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 09:25:15 PM »

When I saw FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN in 1967.
I discovered Famous Monsters of Filmland the next year in a foster home.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 10:56:33 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 09:54:18 PM »

Actually also recall watching Star Trek on TV as a kid...and seeing film versions of the Canadian series The Starlost.

Also remember kids passing around a Star Wars magazine on the school bus which was before I ever saw those films...

Recall the debut of the 1970s King Kong on TV and my Grandmother wanting to watch it...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
VenomX73

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »

King Kong 1976 is my favorite King Kong movie!

The soundtrack is amazing and the island scenery was beautiful  Thumbup

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 10:35:00 PM »

Might've been The Legend Of Boggy Creek when I was 16, or it might have been Blood Freak a few years later...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 12:42:24 AM »

When I was growing up, every Friday and Saturday night you had old horror movies shown from around 10 until 1 or 2 am. In those days the channels didn't run 24 hours and I'd sit up and watch the films until they shut down.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 12:44:25 AM »

Mine started with watching things like Star Trek, Space 1999, The Incredible Bulk, etc on TV when I was a kid.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 03:27:54 AM »

Jaws (1975) in the movie theater drive-in a few years after its initial release, when I was maybe 4 years old. Star Wars (1977) in the movie theater right around that same time. A couple years later in 1979/1980 it was one of my uncles' Jonah Hex comic books. After that, my mom and dad would leave their Stephen King books lying around the house and I would pick them up and read them when I was about 8 years old. My mom and dad initially objected to my reading Stephen King's work, claiming that it would warp my brain, but when they saw me tackling the 1000+ pages of The Stand, they were happy that I was at least reading something at that age.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 07:02:36 AM »

King Kong 1976 is my favorite King Kong movie!

The soundtrack is amazing and the island scenery was beautiful  Thumbup

I saw that when I was 14 with my little sister Wendy.  1976 at the Strand Theater in Paw Paw.
She cried like a baby at the end. She was 5.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:05:37 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 07:13:54 AM »

no idea really.

my earliest tv memories are of KNIGHT RIDER, FRAGGLE ROCK and THE A TEAM. and also knowing that when TJ HOOKER started it was time to go to bed. nothing's really changed since then, although now I sometimes stay up past 8:30pm

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 07:26:49 AM »

I was always a fan of fantasy in all its forms, having read Lord of the Rings at 13 or so and hooking me instantly. A movie that definitely marked me was ARMY OF DARKNESS, because not only was cool fantasy with a medieval setting, but also tought me that horror could be scary and funny too. After that I started to watch pretty much any crappy fantasy or horror movie I happened to come across.

With the passing of time I learned to enjoy movies as a whole and started to watch a lot of different stuff, particularly action, sci-fi, and mystery.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Genre Interest: Where did it start? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.