Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:41:26 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  23 years ago today... « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 23 years ago today...  (Read 11202 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2020, 11:56:49 AM »

Titanic (1997) was released in movie theaters across the country. Where were you and what were you doing in life when this disaster happened?

I was here in Alaska, living in my first apartment, making my living as a food server in a fine dining restaurant. I used my tip money to watch this movie in the theater, and the rest of my tips from that day to get arse-faced drunk right after.  Cheers

Let's see, according to my diary I was home from college for break, and I woke up and laid around and asked someone with synesthesia what purple sounded like to him (answer: a guitar), then when he had to go talk to people at his grad school I eventually had a nice dinner with my aunt and grandpa, and apparently stayed up late to hang out with a friend from the neighborhood I'd known in high school (and still know).

I don't remember hearing much about Titanic until early the next year, and since it was a mega-hit and i was a cynical late teeenager, I hated it on principal.

So, gee, now you know.... (I would say "now, 'ya'll' know," but Alex here once told me ya'll is about his least favorite word. So, Alex, then never be reborn in Kentucky or the west of Ireland.  Smile)

Are we done playing or you want to know about more dates? (Believe me, I'm good if you do....)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2021, 12:37:53 AM »

Titanic (1997) was released in movie theaters across the country. Where were you and what were you doing in life when this disaster happened?

I was here in Alaska, living in my first apartment, making my living as a food server in a fine dining restaurant. I used my tip money to watch this movie in the theater, and the rest of my tips from that day to get arse-faced drunk right after.  Cheers

Did you see it at the Fireweed?

Yes I did. I saw it at the loud theater #3; the big one. I watched my fellow Natives tear it down in 2010. I'm not a CIRI shareholder, thank goodness; they are dead to me because of what they did to the Fireweed.  Thumbdown Hatred

Coincidentally, the last movie that I saw there before the Natives tore it down was a reshowing of Avatar (2009); yet another James Cameron silly movie. To me, James Cameron is like a bigger budgeted Roger Corman, who I guess used to be Cameron's boss, so maybe a little bit of Corman rubbed off on him.

Did they tear the Fireweed down?

I did not know that and that's sad.   :/     (I lived in Anchorage for a few years.)    That was a real shoes-sticking-to-the-floor type of theater.

So... are you all saying that....     

...wait for it...

Your hearts will go on?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:40:25 AM by Zapranoth » Logged
pacman000
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2021, 04:25:35 PM »

Pics of the Fireweed Theater being torn down: https://aroundanchorage.blogspot.com/2010/08/goodbye-fireweed-theater.html  Bluesad

Not a movie palace; a 70's multiplex. Reminds me of the theater we went to when I was a kid/teen, which is now a church.

More pics of the Fireweed, before it was demolished: https://cinematour.com/tour/us/192.html
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:30:56 PM by pacman000 » Logged
kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2021, 06:38:35 PM »

I went there with two friends to see SPICE WORLD.. Our plan was to get really drunk and yell at the screen. We got drunk 30 minutes before the movie started.  They passed out about 10 minutes in.  I kept drinking and yelling at the screen while they passed out. 

Good thing we were the only three in the theater.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2021, 11:15:36 PM »

I went there with two friends to see SPICE WORLD.. Our plan was to get really drunk and yell at the screen. We got drunk 30 minutes before the movie started.  They passed out about 10 minutes in.  I kept drinking and yelling at the screen while they passed out. 

Sounds like you totally watched that movie the way would best be watched.    I haven't seen SPICE WORLD, but I'd believe anyone who says it sucked.
kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 08:25:56 PM »

Sounds like you totally watched that movie the way would best be watched.    I haven't seen SPICE WORLD, but I'd believe anyone who says it sucked.

it does suck. It's a super cheap ripoff of A HARD DAYS NIGHT.  Made even cheaper with the Spice Girls... and a cameo by Elvis Costello.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2021, 05:13:30 AM »

I got free tickets from Fox Kids' Kitty Fox (she was so hot back in the day) to watch Jurassic Park (1993) on opening weekend at the Fireweed Theater. So naturally, I bought a bottle of Everclear and spent the whole day getting drunk and movie-hopping. I got there at 9AM that morning and didn't stagger out of the movie theater until after 10PM at night. I watched almost every movie showing and watched Jurassic Park twice. I think it was the sticky floors that caused it, but that was a hell of a fun movie theater to get drunk in. I watched every major popular film of the late '70s/early '80s in that theater: Jaws (1975), Star Wars (1977), Superman (1978), Alien (1979), Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), E.T.: The Extraterrestrial (1982), Tron (1982), Conan The Barbarian (1982), Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi (1983), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), etc. Later on it was movies like Saving Private Ryan (1998) and Gladiator (2000), so I had a lot of fond memories in the good ol' Fireweed Theater.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  23 years ago today... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.