Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:41 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "It's better to burn out" thread « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "It's better to burn out" thread  (Read 2235 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« on: January 04, 2021, 06:34:58 PM »

Something rock stars have always loved to say....

Of course, every now & then, there's a perfect example about as far outside of the twenty-seven club as you can get....
Someone who was so dedicated to their craft, that it kept them going just a little bit longer in the face of death, or they were in poor health & didn't want to go out old, forgotten........

For example, I've been listening to a lot of Roy Orbison lately...
I remember that I didn't really get into this guy until he performed with The Traveling Wilburys.
Then he put out a new album, & then he passed.
Wasn't until afterwards that I learned he'd had a rather meteoric rise, only to be hit by tragedy & a heart operation at a young age... 
At that point, he knew he should have been taking it easy, but he was so invigorated by newfound success over the past few years, that he had to get back in...

Another example is Alex Trebek...
I was never a fan of Jeopardy, or any other game show, but ever since he passed away in November, there's almost always a different person on the evening news talking about how driven he always was, from the day he started, to the last day of his life....

So, any other examples that it's "better to burn out than to fade away?"

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
claws
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 07:08:07 PM »

I've never heard this before, but then again I never followed rock stars that closely to remember every quote.

Prince was quite busy prior to his passing. He was on tour, went to a dance party and concert days before he died.
LilCerberus

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 07:14:31 PM »

^Yes, I understand Prince got around on his bicycle...^

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 07:26:51 PM »

I've never heard this before, but then again I never followed rock stars that closely to remember every quote.

I first heard that saying during the intro to Def Leopard's Rock Of Ages...
It's also in Neil Young's Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black), but it's a lot easier to hear in My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)
Kurgan also says in the chapel scene in the movie Highlander (1986), and Queen uses this soundbite in the song Gimme The Prize on the soundtrack.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 07:45:08 PM »

I agree with John Lennon.

Sheff: You disagree with Neil Young's lyric in Rust Never Sleeps: "It's better to burn out than to fade away..."

Lennon: I hate it. It's better to fade away like an old soldier than to burn out. If he was talking about burning out like Sid Vicious, forget it. I don't appreciate the worship of dead Sid Vicious or of dead James Dean or dead John Wayne. It's the same thing. Making Sid Vicious a hero, Jim Morrison—it's garbage to me. I worship the people who survive—Gloria Swanson, Greta Garbo... I don't want Sean worshiping John Wayne or Johnny Rotten or Sid Vicious. What do they teach you? Nothing. Death. Sid Vicious died for what? So that we might rock? I mean, it's garbage you know. If Neil Young admires that sentiment so much, why doesn't he do it? Because he sure as hell faded away and came back many times, like all of us. No, thank you. I'll take the living and the healthy.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 07:47:40 PM »

Theodore Roosevelt, one of my personal heroes.  He always said he was going to go like a steam engine  until he was sixty, then drop dead.
And that's pretty much what he did.  I mean, the guy took a bullet in the chest in 1912 on the way to a campaign event, and insisted on finishing his speech WITH A FREAKING BULLET BETWEEN HIS RIBS before he let the doctors treat him!  Then, when he lost that election, he decided to go explore an 800 mile long, previously uncharted branch of the Amazon River for grins and giggles. He got an infected wound in his leg, lost 40 pounds, and nearly got eaten by cannibals, but he and his crew mapped that river, which bears his name to this day!  Then when the USA entered World War I, he sought permission to organize a brigade, assume a general's rank, and go fight on the Western Front.  Woodrow Wilson wouldn't let him go, but TR made sure all four of his boys signed up and fought.  One of them, Quentin, never came back.  The rest were all wounded.  TR soldiered on to the end and was preparing for another run at the White House in 1920 when he died in Dec. 1919.  One of his friends said: "It is a good thing Death came for him as he slept, because otherwise there would have been a hell of a fight!"

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 07:57:18 PM »

^Yes, Indy, that's what I'm talking about; somebody who could keep on trucking!^

LilCerberus

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »

Sheff: You disagree with Neil Young's lyric in Rust Never Sleeps: "It's better to burn out than to fade away..."

Lennon: I hate it. It's better to fade away like an old soldier than to burn out. If he was talking about burning out like Sid Vicious, forget it. I don't appreciate the worship of dead Sid Vicious or of dead James Dean or dead John Wayne. It's the same thing. Making Sid Vicious a hero, Jim Morrison—it's garbage to me. I worship the people who survive—Gloria Swanson, Greta Garbo... I don't want Sean worshiping John Wayne or Johnny Rotten or Sid Vicious. What do they teach you? Nothing. Death. Sid Vicious died for what? So that we might rock? I mean, it's garbage you know. If Neil Young admires that sentiment so much, why doesn't he do it? Because he sure as hell faded away and came back many times, like all of us. No, thank you. I'll take the living and the healthy.

Trying to avoid people who cut their life's fuse short just because they could, but this is on point & very poignant....
Makes it that much more poignant how the over rated Darby Crash offed himself in a pathetic attempt to become famous the night before John Lennon was murdered...........

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 11:31:20 PM »

Who is Sheff?  
That is all a LENNON quote?  

edit:  I found the quote at wikipedia.  And NEIL YOUNG's own interpretation of his lyrics; he said Rock n' Roll is not about survival.  I agree with NEILLENNON often took things too literally, and personally.  In a personal context, I agree with LENNON.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 12:30:13 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
LilCerberus

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »

If I recall correctly, Rush Limbaugh's grandfather (of the same name) lived to be 104, and walked everyday to has private law practice until his death in 1996!

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »

I'd like to live past 100. I know it ain't gonna happen- but I don't worry too much about it. If i'm dead, I won't know. I don't know. Nobody really knows.
Unless your a ghost.  Buggedout

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "It's better to burn out" thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.