Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:28 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bizarre First Drafts Of Famous Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bizarre First Drafts Of Famous Movies  (Read 7400 times)
chainsaw midget
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 08, 2020, 08:40:28 PM »

Let's talk about the strange first drafts of movies. 

Frankly there's enough changes in the early Star Wars scripts to make a whole nother topic just on them. 

I also think the original ending of Clerks where Dante is killed by a robber is pretty well know. 

Here one I just found out.  In an early draft of Back to the Future, Doc Brown was a bitter cynical old failure.  Their actions when they go back in tim result in the 80s turning into some strange retro futuristic timeline.  Also, Rock and Roll is never invented.

We missed a really awesome version of Twilight.  (Yes, at one point Twilight was going to be cool.)  It was going to feature Edward as a vampire hunter that worked for the FBI and Bella as a badass vampire.  It was going to be an action movie where vampires fought SWAT teams in tree tops.  Basically nothing like the actual books, but I don't think that would be a problem this time.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 08:53:41 PM »

The  5,000 fingers of Dr T has way more than I can list, but was pretty disturbing!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045464/trivia?ref_=tttr_ql_trv_1

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
claws
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »

The first draft of Purple Rain when it was still called Dreams saw Prince's parents both die (murder & suicide) leaving behind a shattered Prince. The script was changed when director Albert Magnoli came aboard. Prince wanted to shock the audience "just like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" but Magnoli convinced him not to make the movie that dark and disturbing.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 01:34:19 AM »

Will Smith movie Hancock, was originally called Tonight He Comes and had the storyline of an ordinary housewife being stalked by a superhero, who eventually rapes her and kills her when he ejaculates and the force of it blows a hole through her back.

Pretty Woman was written as a serious drama about prostitution and ended up with the businessman dumping her at the roadside when she was unable to stop her drug habit.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 04:54:04 AM »

not sure if this counts but HENRY PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER was originally going to be a documentary about pro wrestling. When a museum owner who'd agreed to let them have access to his wrestling memrobilia suddenly doubled his asking fee at the last moment, they decided to make a horror film instead!

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
kornula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 08:58:05 PM »

not sure if this counts but HENRY PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER was originally going to be a documentary about pro wrestling. When a museum owner who'd agreed to let them have access to his wrestling memrobilia suddenly doubled his asking fee at the last moment, they decided to make a horror film instead!

That's why I love movies!  Stories like that are what fuels MST3K
beat_truck
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »

Not exactly bizarre, but due to budget cuts, Day of the Dead was originally going to be very different than the version we got.  The original script is available to read on the 'net.

Smokey and the Bandit 3 was a mess, but I've read that it originally was going to be some really convoluted mess called Smokey Is The Bandit, where Jackie Gleason lost his marbles and played both parts or something. Buggedout
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »

The first draft of SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939) had Peter Lorre as Dr.Frankenstein. And Lugosi's Ygor part was small. But director Rowland V. Lee liked Lugosi, who's per for week by Universal was dirt cheap, expanded the part so Lugosi, who was broke in 1938 due to the British ban on horror movies, some extra income. As a result, Lugosi stole the show.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:21:23 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »

Not really a famous movie, I guess, but DIRTY DANCING 2: HAVANA NIGHTS was originally a very serious historical drama set during the Cuban revolution. The producers later added dirty dancing.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 03:16:32 PM »

Battlestar Galactica started life as a pure Star Wars clone, close enough to cause a lawsuit.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 02:09:55 AM »

Not exactly bizarre, but due to budget cuts, Day of the Dead was originally going to be very different than the version we got.  The original script is available to read on the 'net.

Smokey and the Bandit 3 was a mess, but I've read that it originally was going to be some really convoluted mess called Smokey Is The Bandit, where Jackie Gleason lost his marbles and played both parts or something. Buggedout

Smokey Is The Bandit was actually filmed with Jackie Gleason playing both the sheriff and Smokey and preview audiences got confused so the film was re shot.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 04:49:26 AM »

just done some foolproof 'internet fact checking' (erm, yeah), but it does apparently seem that at one point BACK TO THE FUTURE was suggested to be renamed SPACEMAN FROM PLUTO (because no one would want to see a movie with 'Future' in the title?), and Marty McFly was going to be on the verge of suicide before discovering a time machine that was either a fridge or a car-wash.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
chainsaw midget

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 12:54:40 PM »

The Truman Show was originally The Malcolm Show, and it was a much darker thriller. 

Monsters Inc was originally about a middle aged man who was depressed and stuck in a rut discovering a book of monsters he drew as a child.  The monsters would then come to life and reveal themselves to be his unresolved childhood fears. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 02:31:48 AM »

I read that the first drafts of The Room and Troll 2 made it seem like they were actually going to be good movies   Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 01:17:06 PM »

I read that the first drafts of The Room and Troll 2 made it seem like they were actually going to be good movies   Wink

LIES!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bizarre First Drafts Of Famous Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.