Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:27:50 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  movies that start with some kind of 'infomercial'... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: movies that start with some kind of 'infomercial'...  (Read 2731 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: December 09, 2020, 01:28:47 PM »

the other day I watched Michael Crichton's LOOKER which starts with an advert for women's cosmetics.

for some reason I really like that gimmick of starting a film with a pretend advert/infomercial type thing, and was thinking of other movies that do it

I came up with Cronenburg's SHIVERS, which starts with an advert for hotels (iirc)

BODY MELT starts with some kind of health spa/fitness presentation thing...

CHOPPING MALL starts with a promotional video to show the effectiveness of the chop-bots...

any more?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 04:31:30 PM »

Network (I think it's called) starts with a huge musical number that turns out to be an ad for deodorant...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
LilCerberus

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 04:38:06 PM »

Not sure if Westworld counts, but it's supposed to be an ad.....

Jackson County Jail starts out with an ad for "something", though they really don't say what..........

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 04:50:35 PM »

Not sure if Westworld counts, but it's supposed to be an ad.....

yeah that counts... it looks like 'live' interviews but at the end of the clip it's clearly a promo ad thing for the place

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 04:53:41 PM »

maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking of an 80s/90s action-y type film that started with quite an over-the-top promo advert for bazookas/rocket launchers? where they're all being fired by sexy women in combat gear

maybe that was just a dream...

LilCerberus

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 10:15:07 PM »

I know the RoboCop series is Full of them, but I can't recall if they actually start with any or not...

claws
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:06:44 PM »

Trick 'r Treat (2007) starts with a vintage Halloween safety education film, though not really a commercial.
LilCerberus

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 11:41:59 PM »

I can't remember if it was Pure Genius or Real Genius, both of which came out at the same time (along with Better Off Dead & My Science Project), creating some confusion.........

It was the one involving some misfit Ivy League students working on a high powered laser, who use their scientific knowledge to pull pranks on one another, or find distractions like turning the dorm into a skiing lodge.

When they finally finish building the laser, they suddenly change their tune when it dawns on them that they've been working on a weapon for the government, as if nobody thought of that for the previous ninety minutes......

Anyhoo, it opens with an arms company trying to pitch this high powered laser (that doesn't exist yet) to the military with an ad of the laser being fired from a satellite & taking out some South American dictator while he's lounging by his pool...

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 01:33:22 AM »

sounds like fun, never heard of that...

I know the RoboCop series is Full of them, but I can't recall if they actually start with any or not...

haha, the last thing I did before posting this thread was dig out my copy of ROBOCOP  to check how it started. I was almost sure it started with the car ad of the guy stealing the car and getting electrocuted. it actually starts with a news report about violence in South Africa, which I have no recollection of seeing before?!

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 01:35:01 AM »

Trick 'r Treat (2007) starts with a vintage Halloween safety education film, though not really a commercial.

yeah I vaguely remember this..  I'll say it counts

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 04:50:19 PM »

sounds like fun, never heard of that...

haha, the last thing I did before posting this thread was dig out my copy of ROBOCOP  to check how it started. I was almost sure it started with the car ad of the guy stealing the car and getting electrocuted. it actually starts with a news report about violence in South Africa, which I have no recollection of seeing before?!

Yes, they talk about Pretoria being an embattled nation state.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  movies that start with some kind of 'infomercial'... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.