Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:26:15 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tentacles (1977) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tentacles (1977)  (Read 1976 times)
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« on: December 10, 2020, 10:39:39 AM »

Jaws, but with a giant octopus, except that the inclusion of the marine biologist with his special bond with the orcas, who eventually kill the octopus, makes it an unexpected precursor of Jurassic World.

This could have been a perfectly adequate creature movie, but it is let down in the execution. If there is ever an award for most stilted dialogue, this is a serious contender. The story advances by leaps and bounds, entire plot lines are left hanging, characters appear out of nowhere (usually to be eaten by the octopus shortly after)....
This is most clear in the climactic scene, where the octopus chomps down on a sailing race for kids. On paper, this must have looked promising: intersperse shots of the mayhem on the water with shots of the adults on the shore enjoying themselves, while a lone character (played by Shelley Winters) is the only one to realise that something has gone horribly wrong. As it is, we get a confused jumble of random shots without any suspense whatsoever.
Which brings me to the most damning aspect of the movie: what passes for action are just shots of an octopus and of people looking scared at the camera. I can imagine that someone had an epiphany after watching Jaws and thought: this is a great way of making monster movies on the cheap. Simply never show anything. How they managed to get John Huston, Shelley Winters, Henry Fonda and Bo Hopkins on board, is anyone’s guess.

The version I saw on Youtube had Japanese subtitles, which, given the title, didn’t surprise me in the least. It must have been a bitter disappointment to many a Japanese, though.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:49:28 AM »

I seen that one! Pretty stupid.
For more late 70's John Huston junk- check out the BERMUDA TRIANGLE (1978)!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:57:29 AM »

basically agree with your criticisms but I'll add that STUPID sound effect that kept playing through the movie, and the constant bizarre freeze-framing of the screen which actually looked like an error... took me 3 or 4 attempts to make it through this one but I got there eventually. not proud

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 02:14:15 PM »

What a cast!!  What a turd!  What a bore! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Dr. Whom

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »

basically agree with your criticisms but I'll add that STUPID sound effect that kept playing through the movie

Ah yes, the octopus theme tune that played whenever there was an attack. I suppose they had to something to let the public know the octopus was doing all this. It surely wasn't visible on screen.
In fact, my original review was longer, but I cut it down to show the movie some mercy.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Dr. Whom

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 03:34:49 PM »

That poster is far better than the movie.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »

True dat.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »

Damn straight. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tentacles (1977) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.