Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:13:17 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Psycho (1998) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Psycho (1998)  (Read 2867 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: February 07, 2021, 03:42:05 AM »

I recently re-watched the original (which I've only seen a couple of times before, and probably not in the last 20 yrs?), and was struck by how brilliantly it holds up. It is amazing.

so I decided to rewatch the remake, which I only saw once when it came out, and remember disliking, but I wanted to see it again to get a fresh perspective.

ANd the answer is no. no. no..... WHY? why did this happen. Why did they think you could have a shot-for-shot remake and not end up with a completely redundant 100 minutes of movie?

The ONLY reason this could've been justified is if the original was deeply flawed in some way, but the original is a masterpiece.

The good thing about this remake is that, whereas the phrase "style over substance" is usually how the criticism goes, it proves that 'style' may have a lot more importance in comparison to 'substance' (i.e. content) than we give credit for... they made basically exactly the same film, and it's a shadow of the original.

Apparently Tarantino said he prefers the remake, but I think he's just trying to be 'cool'

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 06:23:19 AM »

...and what's up with the cows?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »

The same thing happened with The Omen remake. Shot-for-shot redundancy, and like they’re really going to improve on Gregory Peck’s performance.  Lookingup

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
chainsaw midget

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:35:21 AM »

I just don't understand why this movie even exists. 

As much as I usually hate the ideas, I can understand people that remake movie but want to take it in a different direction or want to update it for the times, but this... this did neither. 

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »

it's baffling! it doesn't even work in a postmodern sense

The same thing happened with The Omen remake. Shot-for-shot redundancy, and like they’re really going to improve on Gregory Peck’s performance.  Lookingup

wow I forgot about that. another crapstorm

claws
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 10:51:26 AM »

Most pointless remake ever. Great cast, but they couldn't save it.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »

... no. no. no..... WHY? why did this happen. Why did they think you could have a shot-for-shot remake and not end up with a completely redundant 100 minutes of movie?...  Apparently Tarantino said he prefers the remake, but I think he's just trying to be 'cool'...

The only thing "memorable" to me about that film was that it starred ANNE HECHE.   Lookingup I can't stand VINCE VAUGHN maybe that movie is why... (dirtball). 
TARANTINO was an auteur at getting at our imaginary underbellies, but his taste in movies should squarely make him a prominent member of this forum! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 02:42:47 AM »

I don't really have anything against Vince Vaughn but he was a lame Norman Bates imo... the climactic final showdown scene was so badly done it was comical.

also, on the original it almost sounded like you could just about believe that Anthony Perkins was doing his own mother's voice... to me it did anyway. Vaughn sounded nothing like his mother.

minor details like that in the remake grated on me as well.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »

It was obviously a clever tactic to get some quick bucks, nobody gave a damn about the whole project. It's our fault for giving our money to these robbers.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
pennywise37

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 08:36:52 PM »

i've seen this a couple times yeah it's a bad film but i've seen worse than this film and i think the concept on paper anyways, the idea of it to copy a script like that shot for shot isn't a bad idea. but the execution to copy a genius like Hitch it didn't work at all of course,  i haven't seen it in years so i don't  remember that much about it but i liked the idea of shooting the Original script but to copy hitch was a mistake. 

Anne Heche though was a bad choice that i thought was terrible when they first announced it. Vince Vaughn i thought he was fine in it but if i see this again that may change.   notice i didn't say Brilliant cause i like him as an actor but he hasn't really done much outside of comedy in recent years to show his how good he can be as an actor in recent years as far as i know.

i do think that Gus Van Saint did try to copy Hitch way to much and though he is a talented filmmaker s well hitch was in my opinion anyways a Genius.  not everyone agrees with me on that and that's fine.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »

before watching it I read a review that said Anne Heche looked like a blonde Pee Wee Herman, and then I couldn't unsee it  TeddyR

Janet Leigh is stunningly attractive in the original imo

pennywise37

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 10:39:56 PM »

see i like her as an actress as she can be good but she is simply terrible if i recall in the film and that short hair she had at the time doesn't fit the role either.

i don't hate the film like many seem to but as i  said there are far worse movies than this one, blonde pee herman i don't remember that review but than i don't remember reviews for any movie.

this is my take on it anyways if anyone goes to watch this if they haven't seen it go in with really low expectations. sometimes it's not so much the script or the direction but the casting can hurt the film and Anne Heche was a huge mistake to cast her in this.  Vince Vaughn was pretty decent in this now don't get me wrong he'll never be as good as Anthony Perkins hell no but honestly it could have been a hell of a lot worse in casting well that's how i look at it anyways
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Psycho (1998) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.