Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:59:37 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Demented Kid's Films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Demented Kid's Films  (Read 21726 times)
Mighty Atomic Pikachu
« on: February 19, 2001, 06:26:37 PM »

I know this has been brought up before, but I'd like to investigate the realm of kid's films that are just plain wEiRd with a capital 'W' and/or a bit disturbing.  My picks:

Pinocchio And The Emperor Of The Night

Pokemon: The First Movie

Rainbow Brite And The Star Stealers

Kingdom Chums

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians

Pet Shop (bad, bad)

Warriors Of Virtue (super STINKY bad)

Beanstalk (UGH!)

Catnapped! (this one is fun)

One-Eyed, One-Horned, Flying Purple Peopleater (this is actually the title)
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2001, 06:38:36 PM »

Have you ever seen Herschell Gordon Lewis' two childrens film JIMMY THE BOY WONDER (1966) and THE MAGIC LAND OF MOTHER GOOSE (1967)? But, they are good and entertaining. Just don't see why people call them bad. H.G. Lewis' childrens films are worthy of 100% entertainment. Too bad they don't make them like they used to. Now we have s**tty childrens films like BABY GENEUSES and POKEMON: THE FIRST MOVIE that make our kids a bunch of ignorant morons (not to be crude with my statement, but that is just how I feel).
Brock
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2001, 01:06:27 AM »

Care Bears II: The Next Generation.
Land Before Time 2 through 37.
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom.
Storybook.
Timmy the Tuba (Creepy claymation short?)
Greywizard, The Unknown Movies
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2001, 03:40:07 AM »

This week at The Unknown Movies, I reviewed the demented kiddie film JIMMY, THE BOY WONDER, which you can read at:

http://www.badmovieplanet.com/unknownmovies/reviews/rev283.html
Boz824
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2001, 01:03:15 PM »

C. Hill
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2001, 03:42:30 PM »

Don't forget about Jack Frost.  No, I'm not talking about the Michael Keaton movie, the killer snowman flick, or the Rankin-Bass thing.  Of course that leaves only the Russo-Finnish co-production of Jack Frost.  I'm not sure if this film's dementedness can be accredited to the fact that it's foreign or if it really is just totally insane.  Anyway, it's one of my favorite MST3K episodes and I really wish SciFi would show it again.

Also worthy of mention I think would be The Brave Little Toaster.  I'm not quite sure why, but this movie disturbed the hell outta me when I was a kid.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2001, 03:47:47 PM »

Let's see, at one of the video stores in my home town there was a blank box inscribed with the cryptic words THE ELECTRIC GRANDMOTHER.  It was bright yellow and there were no pictures or description on the back.  That was plainly situated in the kids section.  I always found that vaguely creepy.  (Note: I dimly recall seeing this show on Nickelodeon when I was a kid, but I remember next to none of the details.)

Not really a movie, but the SUPERBOOK series that shows up on the Christian channel at three in the morning is pretty disturbing.  As the message of the show bizarrely puts it, be Christian or die.

All I can think of for now.
Abby
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2001, 05:00:30 PM »

Electric Grandmother is really "I Sing The Body Electric" by Ray Bradbury. That same story has also been adapted into a Twilight Zone episode or two, but the Maureen Stapleton version is superior, if kitschy.

'Mad Monster Party' completely freaked me out when I was four years old. That last scene where the guy's head pops off and he starts stuttering gave me nightmares for weeks ... I never forgot that movie. Then again, Willy Wonka frightened me in a similar fashion.
Chadzilla
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2001, 06:58:14 PM »

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom seems to be an insane children's film.  My kid loved it though, so did I come to think of it.

I liked Dragonworld one of Charles Band's Moonbeam movies.  Ditto Johnny Mysto, Boy Magician (or whatever).

If I may put in a vote for a "good" children's film then see The Iron Giant, it is great!
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2001, 08:34:30 PM »

The only one I can think of is Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker. What happens to Tim Drake is insane. Good movie.
Warren H.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2001, 09:53:40 PM »

What about the Littlest Vampire, released recently.  It falls under my category of "Who the Hell Funded This?"  A children's movie with flying vampire cows with horrible, glowing red eyes.  Nasty looking vampires, also with glowing, red eyes.  Its message of, "It's great to be a (undead, pasty-grey, fanged, blood-drinking) vampire!"  And the ultra-cheap production values that wouldn't convince a 6 month old that the action was occurring anywhere but on a cheap set.
But most of all . . . the cows man, brr.
Nathan
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2001, 11:43:02 AM »

Hey, all I can say is that my sister took my three-year-old to see this, and he still has giggly flashbacks to the vampire cows.

Nathan
Nathan
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2001, 11:46:01 AM »

...Especially considering some of its Moonbeam Entertainment compatriots (anyone who can sit through all three Prehysteria flicks is just plain non-human).  Beanstalk had at least a modicum of wit, and Margot Kidder was obviously having a ball in her over-the-top mad scientist performance.

I've got a full review at http://www.coldfusionvideo.com/b/beanstalk.html

Nathan
peter johnson
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2001, 12:24:24 PM »

The single worst kid's film I ever saw as a kid was "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" -- and I still love Dick Van Dyke as an actor --:  Bad songs(Very bad songs!), stupid story, bad music -- did I mention unlistenably bad songs?  I ran from the theatre at one point and just hung out at the concession stand, going back into the theatre to see if they'd stopped singing.  I know I was around 9 or 10, based on my memories of the kids I was with.
As a child, my English mother read aloud to me the real Mary Poppins and Dr. Dolittle, so I naturally despised these movies as well.  Where is it written in stone that childrens' movies MUST have atrocious songs and wierdly uninteresting dance numbers?  I don't recall either of these things (Singing and dancing) taking place in the wonderful books these abominations were based upon.Nathan wrote:
>
Inukko
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2001, 01:09:59 AM »

Clockmaker... hehe.

"Don't fuss with me, kid!"  "Fuss with THIS!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Demented Kid's Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.