Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:59:18 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  On This Day: Your History « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]
Author Topic: On This Day: Your History  (Read 65774 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #615 on: March 25, 2024, 08:13:14 PM »

March 25:

1992 Rainy day, painted coffee beans with my mom.

1993: Packed to go to a three-day school retreat for 8th grade girls, run by nuns.

1994: Saw The Hudsucker Proxy with a boy from my geometry class named Ethan.

1996: My best friend’s brother came over and watched Braveheart sweep the Oscars.

1997: Stayed with my grandpa over almost all of spring break.

1998: Helped my friend Karen make a care package for her fiancé, in jail for dealing marijuana. (She’s a friend I have simply lost track of over the years.)

2003: Landon said he was once in a shop that had old yearbooks, and in a 1980 annual someone scribbled over the eyes of every blond girl in the senior class, sometimes deep enough to tear the paper. I called to try to buy that yearbook, but no luck.

2006: Saw George Carlin amid late-spring snow.

2010: In Rio, on our honeymoon. Honestly, I don’t recommend Brazil.

2014: An intern named Emily lifted her sweater to show us the Victoria’s Secret bra she was wearing.

2015: Told about a slave cemetery in Kentucky near where we lived when I was little that had a headstone from 1850 that read: Thomas, No Truer Friend A Christian Had/But One Master Serves He Now In Heaven. I suspect some odd social relationships arose out of slavery.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #616 on: March 26, 2024, 09:05:51 PM »

March 26:

1997: The Heaven’s Gate mass suicide was such a big story it was even used as a cautionary tale in my 12th grade AP Theology class.

1998: Lemme just say I was there for a particularly memorable day in someone’s life.

1999 Saw Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and didn’t like it all that much. (Snatch would be much better.)

2003: Babysat 3 ½ year old Tyler, who drew penises on Donald Duck and Goofy and darn near every character in his Disney coloring book. We were just shocked in the future when he told us he was gay.

2009:
My dad told me he was going to get married, and for once, not to my mom.

2015: My grandmother wrote everyone in the family an email angry that the skeleton of Richard III was given a Protestant funeral. She had a point.

2016: In a strange coincidence, on this day my dad also told me he was going to divorce his wife of seven years, and I didn’t think his reasons were honorable, namely yet another chance to get back together with my mom, who considered herself still canonically wed to him.

2017: In church I noticed the man I nearly married in the ‘90s had absolutely gotten his peculiar mannerism of freezing and staring while thinking hard about something, from his mom, who did the same thing right in front of my eyes, and it gave me chills to see her do that.

2018: My husband impressed me by purchasing a box of Tanith Lee books offline, including the Paradys series, one of my favorites.

2019: Tyler asked me if I had anything to do with the disappearance of a man he and his friend met off a sex app, who tried to lock them in his basement, and I said no. Years before Tyler also thought I killed my cousin Celia in Kansas, but she turned up fine. That boy lacks faith in me, I swear.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #617 on: March 27, 2024, 06:05:01 PM »

March 27:

1994: Talked to Brian in Michigan. Told him I watched Badlands, per his recommendation, and it didn’t do much for me, but we agreed The Bell Jar and The Catcher in the Rye both sucked.

1996: While I no longer confessed, I liked to talk in the confessional to a priest at St. Xavier Church, downtown, named Father Huber; bent his ear for a long time about my life.

1997: My friend Rob brought Scream for me to see. Meh, guess I’m a tough audience.

1998: There was a boy who was utterly into me, not the person I loved, but I did like him very much, which is far less stressful, and he followed me everywhere like a puppy that weird day, and even sat one desk over from me at the university library, staring toward me with this poleaxed grin, and I was divided between wishing he’d go away, and feeling a great awkward affection for him.

2000: Gave a talk on the Irish Potato Famine, and how Ireland was producing bumper crops, but English landlords exported them while blight killed potatoes, the food staple of the rural poor, reason 5,000 the Irish hated the English. (Lesson: never be so weak that someone can exploit you.)

2001 Sick, 102-degree fever.

2003: Friend of mine I hadn’t heard from for eleven days contacted me from Najaf, Iraq to let me know he was all right. I literally jumped up and down with relief.

2005: Woke up dreaming Tony Blair had been murdered, and told everyone at Easter dinner, only to be asked if I really had to discuss that during a holiday.

2020: Covid rumor of the day was Boris Johnson had infected the Queen.

2022: Finished John Bunyan’s Grace Abounding According to the Chief of Sinners, proving I will read darn near anything.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #618 on: March 27, 2024, 06:36:21 PM »

^ Do you keep a diary or something?
I can't recall what happened last week, unless it's important or made an impression. I mean, who cares about such minutia?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #619 on: Today at 05:38:04 PM »

I guess looking back interests me, Ron. This thread has inspired me to read diaries that were sitting on a shelf, and recall other times in my life. I don't want to impose on you, though, so if it doesn't interest you, I wouldn't be at all offended if you skipped reading it, like I skip many of the images you post for the same reason. (Though some have also been good.) If my mining of memories has bothered you, then I appreciate the fact you haven't attacked me over it. If it's ever interested you, thanks.

I hope that answers your question.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #620 on: Today at 06:03:33 PM »

^ Hey- if it rocks yer boat-cool! I was just curious. We did a diary a couple years when I was in english class in middle school, and it was kinda fun.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  On This Day: Your History « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.