Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:28:11 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 146
Author Topic: Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking  (Read 225752 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2021, 05:23:57 PM »

^Will Ferrell finds out who his real father is, & he's on Santa's naughty list for publishing a children's book with a blank page.^

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2021, 05:55:03 PM »

^ Hmmm. That's not in the movie at all.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus

« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2021, 06:02:30 PM »

^Seriously? I know it's been a number of years since I've seen it, but that's the one thing I recall when they introduce the character....^

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2021, 11:30:10 PM »

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2021, 09:00:25 AM »

I keep having vivid dreams about people I know who have died.

Not long ago I dreamed about this woman I knew in Austin, whose house I stayed in, and she was sitting on the end of a boat dock with her back to me, apparently not surprised to find me there, and we had a short conversation in which she (like all the dead people in these intense dreams) told me she was waiting but she didn't know what she was waiting for.

Last night I had another one about my cousin Magda, who died in London last year, and she too told me she was waiting and didn't know for how long.

Then she said something that should have been nightmarish but somehow wasn't. She told me, "You'll do this too after you're murdered."

I told my husband this morning and he said, "You really gotta stop taking LSD before bedtime."  Lookingup

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #215 on: December 21, 2021, 04:32:17 PM »

I wonder if Captain Picard ever read the history of the inventor of his beloved tea? Earl Grey was a jerk.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #216 on: December 21, 2021, 04:33:14 PM »

I also wonder if the giant in the castle on top of the bean stalk ever flushed his toilet over top of Jack's cottage to get back at jack for his B&E?

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2021, 04:34:52 PM »

And finally I wonder if I have been buying defective Rice Krispies all these years since mine have never once snapped, crackled, or popped, just sort of hissed a little when wet, at best sounding like limp rain hitting a moist sidewalk.

LilCerberus

« Reply #218 on: December 21, 2021, 10:57:43 PM »

A Christmas Carol....

.... Is about A Christmas Karen.....

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #219 on: December 22, 2021, 08:49:14 PM »

Faking a mild speech impediment is a good way to cover up a foreign accent if you're imperfectly speaking a language that is not your native tongue.

I used to get paid to tell people tips like that.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2021, 09:21:54 AM »

Sometimes I think the Japanese represent the high-point of human evolution.

claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2021, 12:36:00 PM »

Faking a mild speech impediment is a good way to cover up a foreign accent if you're imperfectly speaking a language that is not your native tongue.

No offense but that is terrible advice. It is insulting to people with real speech impediments and insulting to foreigners.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 01:21:04 PM by claws » Logged

Is it October yet?
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #222 on: December 23, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »

No offense but that is terrible advice. It is insulting to people with real speech impediments and insulting to foreigners.

None taken, since I passed on what my bosses taught in the course, and they were admittedly unconcerned with people's feelings. From a pragmatic standpoint it was useful in covering some flaws in foreign pronunciation, and it activated most people's tendency to then become non-judgmental and at least in most western cultured to make excuses for the speaker due to handicap. It was about covering yourself and exploiting another person's perceptions. What's useful isn't always nice and there was a coldness to it all, no denying.

claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2021, 03:55:17 AM »

Elegantly explained racism. Our firm has over 50% foreign employees, half of them don't speak the German language perfect. Some do speeches for clients. If our bosses would 'teach' me to say such thing to them not only would I be embarrassed, I would sue the bosses for discrimination. Mocking people with disabilities? Wow. Common sense says this is wrong on so many levels. f**k that firm.

Merry Christmas  Cheers
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 05:20:03 AM by claws » Logged

Is it October yet?
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2021, 09:23:40 AM »

Elegantly explained racism. Our firm has over 50% foreign employees, half of them don't speak the German language perfect. Some do speeches for clients. If our bosses would 'teach' me to say such thing to them not only would I be embarrassed, I would sue the bosses for discrimination. Mocking people with disabilities? Wow. Common sense says this is wrong on so many levels. f**k that firm.

Merry Christmas  Cheers

Gosh, how about some thoughts in defense of my former employers, before I see what my birthday holds?

Firstly, people with speech disabilities constitute a "race"? I guess I would have thought of them more as representing a handicap since there are only three recognized human races.

Your reaction shows there is indeed a sensitivity recognized around speech impediments and why someone who evinces one might be cut slack rather than have the assumption be that this is someone with a foreign accent. Few are brave enough to jump on the words of someone with a disability, and frankly sometimes it's useful to capitalize on that allowance. Whatever you may think of it, if the technique didn't work it would not have not have been taught for decades. Whatever else may be true of them, my bosses were pragmatists.

Under the circumstances in which this particular technique is used, it's really no better or worse than faking a limp in the hope people won't be as inclined to stare at you, wearing glasses when your eyesight is good, dyeing your hair to look different, or any of a great many other employable deceptions out there in a world that exists right under the radar of the everyday.

Life isn't PC and like I said, these people, my former bosses, couldn't care less about hurting feelings, or for that matter ruining lives, to achieve an end. Insofar as they pause to consider morals at all in their undertakings, they see this and much else---correctly----as justified by their needs and goals.

And that's about all I have to add, except I respect your pique and kind of envy you the luxury of dwelling in a life where you allow yourself the quaint liberty of feeling selective outrage over something so small when in many other people's careers there are much bigger things to worry about,  including protecting other peoples' lives and not just their little feelings.

Mmerry Christmas back atcha....

« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 09:28:19 AM by ER » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 146
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.