Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:32 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 146
Author Topic: Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking  (Read 225162 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #615 on: June 15, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »

At my grandmother's wake one of her favorite quotes was read: “The first step to humility is recognizing one is proud.”
I can't count the number of times I heard her say that, especially to me, being convinced all Americans, even half-Americans like me, were too proud.

Are you sure she thought all Americans are proud or that you exemplify pride? 

I finally got around to looking that quote up, and was surprised to see it was used by CS Lewis in Mere Christianity, though whether it originated with him I don't know. Likely not, since it is surely an old sentiment, probably one often stated amid the rock-walled convents of Ireland 1600 years ago and more. If my grandmother had had a coat of arms, that would be the legend sitting at the bottom, as pride, she was convinced, began the slow rot of the soul.

But what did surprise me was my grandmother quoting a Protestant, if she was quoting Lewis...

^ "Mere Christianity" is a term used by G.K. CHESTERTON (creator of Father Brown).  His writing influenced C.S. LEWIS who may have sought a reconciliation of all Christian faiths.  There was a great deal of interest in returning to Catholicism by English theological writers in the 20th century.  CHESTERTON did convert to Catholicism. 

The deep faith of your grandmother is admirable. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #616 on: June 15, 2022, 02:28:35 PM »

At my grandmother's wake one of her favorite quotes was read: “The first step to humility is recognizing one is proud.”
I can't count the number of times I heard her say that, especially to me, being convinced all Americans, even half-Americans like me, were too proud.

Are you sure she thought all Americans are proud or that you exemplify pride?  

I finally got around to looking that quote up, and was surprised to see it was used by CS Lewis in Mere Christianity, though whether it originated with him I don't know. Likely not, since it is surely an old sentiment, probably one often stated amid the rock-walled convents of Ireland 1600 years ago and more. If my grandmother had had a coat of arms, that would be the legend sitting at the bottom, as pride, she was convinced, began the slow rot of the soul.

But what did surprise me was my grandmother quoting a Protestant, if she was quoting Lewis...

^ "Mere Christianity" is a term used by G.K. CHESTERTON (creator of Father Brown).  His writing influenced C.S. LEWIS who may have sought a reconciliation of all Christian faiths.  There was a great deal of interest in returning to Catholicism by English theological writers in the 20th century.  CHESTERTON did convert to Catholicism.  

The deep faith of your grandmother is admirable.  

I didn't know you had an interest in Chesterton, John. You should join the American Chesterton Society and help support his memory. I been a member since 2010.

My grandmother used to think Dublin (especially south of the Liffey) was Hell's doorstep, and all of America was the antechamber. Me, I am the soul of humility and self-deprecation.

PS: Did you know Lewis wanted to convert to Catholicism, but as one born in Ulster he felt he'd be betraying his roots to do so, so he came as close to it as he could as an Anglo Catholic?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:34:11 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #617 on: June 15, 2022, 03:25:33 PM »

PS: Did you know Lewis wanted to convert to Catholicism, but as one born in Ulster he felt he'd be betraying his roots to do so, so he came as close to it as he could as an Anglo Catholic?

Yes, and expect that your explanation is accurate. 

I have an interest in all English writers and theologians.  I also like the BBC Father Brown series for the title character (though English murder stories are largely contrived and absurd).  Since you mentioned MERE CHRISTIANITY I'm surprised as a member of the CHESTERTON Society you didn't mention him.  I have a soft spot for the "apologists" like SAINT AUGUSTINE

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2022, 03:58:41 PM »

Yes, and expect that your explanation is accurate. 

I have an interest in all English writers and theologians.  I also like the BBC Father Brown series for the title character (though English murder stories are largely contrived and absurd).  Since you mentioned MERE CHRISTIANITY I'm surprised as a member of the CHESTERTON Society you didn't mention him.  I have a soft spot for the "apologists" like SAINT AUGUSTINE

When you say the Father Brown series, do you mean the authentic versions of GKC's stories done in times past, or the current series with Ron Weasley's dad in the role? I have enjoyed the current shows but you know they don't reflect Brown as Chesterton penned him.

I do like Chesterton's books but deep down I think Gaiman hit the nail on the head when he said if Chesterton had written less, he'd have written better.

Ever seen The Apostle of Common Sense series done on EWTN in the 2000s? It was through those that I came to know of the Chesterton Society. I think the episodes are on YouTube now and are worth a look.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2022, 05:17:54 PM »

^I did not know the actor from Father Brown was the other actor's father.  I do know that the current series is a bit far from CHESTERTON's vision, but his concept.  I don't read books at all anymore, unfortunately. 

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #620 on: June 16, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »

Tadpoles were a food staple for the Aztecs. Just thinking about that as I look at at the night....

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #621 on: June 16, 2022, 07:52:39 PM »

Tadpoles were a food staple for the Aztecs. Just thinking about that as I look at at the night....

Their biggest source of protein seems to have been from the other Mexican tribes they conquered.
The Aztecs are the only advanced civilization in the history of the world that practiced wide-scale cannibalism; they are also the only advanced civilization that developed in a region with no large native herbivore species to provide meat.  Coincidence?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #622 on: June 17, 2022, 01:16:41 AM »

The country seems to be baking in something of a heatwave and I am stuck in work.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #623 on: June 17, 2022, 06:43:19 AM »

The mercy of Allah resides in the shade.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #624 on: June 17, 2022, 07:00:11 AM »

I wonder if rhinoceroses ever go crosseyed trying to stare at their horn?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #625 on: June 17, 2022, 07:11:11 AM »

Carlee has never seen Jaws before so Kristi put it on for her. As I walked past, I pointed at Roy Schnider and said "I can't believe at the end of the movie the shark eats him."  BounceGiggle

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #626 on: June 17, 2022, 04:41:20 PM »

I'm attempting to bleach part of my hair so I can dye it. I'll see how successful I'm at it.

yeah no.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #627 on: June 17, 2022, 07:34:44 PM »

Couldn't sleep yet tonight so I replied to an email from Florida from this man who is the best salesperson I have ever known and I challenged him to sell Israeli bonds to a group of those Nation of Islam guys you see standing beside roads selling incense. He asked what he'd get if he pitched Israeli bonds to them and I said I'd buy him a trophy that proclaimed him world's bravest salesman. He was like yeah and have it shipped to whatever morgue he was reposing in after they got done with him. I agreed pretty much, yeah.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #628 on: June 17, 2022, 08:33:10 PM »

I'm attempting to bleach part of my hair so I can dye it. I'll see how successful I'm at it.
My hair has been bleached and dyed, though it has made me feel a bit weird.

yeah no.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #629 on: June 18, 2022, 06:18:59 PM »

If ever you'd like to read about an amazing life, lived both in wartime and peace, look up Leonard Cheshire.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 146
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Random Thought Thread Part III: The Thinking « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.