Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:37:37 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE GREEN KNIGHT « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE GREEN KNIGHT  (Read 4234 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: July 30, 2021, 08:52:38 AM »

My favorite movie of 2021 so far.

https://youtu.be/sS6ksY8xWCY

King Arthur's nephew Sir Gawain accepts a challenge from the mysterious Green Knight to strike one blow against him, which the knight will return in kind in exactly one year. Gawain cuts off the Green Knight's head, the Green Knight picks it up and reminds him to meet at the Green Chapel in one year. Most of the movie is devoted to the strange adventures Gawain experiences on his journey from Camelot to the Green Chapel to meet his destiny.

If you're familiar with the tale, you'll notice that it's not exactly the same, and there are new incidents on Gawain's journey that weren't in the poem (although they feel like very authentic Arthurian legends that were probably taken from other stories).

It's the best Arthurian movie since EXCALIBUR, it's closest cousin. THE GREEN KNIGHT delves even more into the strangeness of the old legends, though. Magic is everywhere in Gawain's world.

If I had to search for a complaint, I might say the cinematography is too murky, especially at the very beginning. That's more of a personal preference than an actual flaw, though.

At any rate, 5/5 from me.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:28:49 AM »

Looking forward to seeing this one.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »

My favorite movie of 2021 so far.

https://youtu.be/sS6ksY8xWCY

King Arthur's nephew Sir Gawain accepts a challenge from the mysterious Green Knight to strike one blow against him, which the knight will return in kind in exactly one year. Gawain cuts off the Green Knight's head, the Green Knight picks it up and reminds him to meet at the Green Chapel in one year. Most of the movie is devoted to the strange adventures Gawain experiences on his journey from Camelot to the Green Chapel to meet his destiny.

If you're familiar with the tale, you'll notice that it's not exactly the same, and there are new incidents on Gawain's journey that weren't in the poem (although they feel like very authentic Arthurian legends that were probably taken from other stories).

It's the best Arthurian movie since EXCALIBUR, it's closest cousin. THE GREEN KNIGHT delves even more into the strangeness of the old legends, though. Magic is everywhere in Gawain's world.

If I had to search for a complaint, I might say the cinematography is too murky, especially at the very beginning. That's more of a personal preference than an actual flaw, though.

At any rate, 5/5 from me.

That looks PDA: Pretty Damn Awesome. Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 08:40:55 PM »

I did like how the titular Green Knight was handled.  The design looks good for a forest elemental type creature, and the practical effect suit design looked great.  I hope somebody tries to cosplay as him.

The sparing use of CGI will hopefully please others.  When it was implemented, it was to varying results.  The giants (briefly seen in the trailer) look like CGI,but their other worldly creatures, so it was acceptable.  The fox character, however, took me out of the scene.  Its the uncanny valley effect, when you try to make something real that the flaws become more noticeable.

Strong use of color is implemented throughout the film.  Our protagonists golden cloak, standing out among more muted earth tones and such.  Some scenes have strong color themes or highlights imposed on them, either for mood or in one scene, implied magical powers.

The director plays around a little with weird angles, and painting-esque composition on screen.  Reminded me of some of  the fantasy art books I have.

As for whether or not I liked the movie as a whole.....that's the part I'm not sure of.   Its not a movie for everyone, I can say that.  I do want to see it again, but I want to wait until its on blue ray/ DVD with a directors commentary.  I'd love to hear his thought process on making this. Also, so I can re-watch some parts to pick up on what I missed.  I'm glad I saw it on the big screen, though.  Maybe I was expecting more of a modern style  LOTR style fantasy film, which this is not. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »

I found this disappointing. It is very slow, and at times, it reminded my of the high concept artsy movies of the 70s, where the protagonists wander from one weird situation to the next, with no obvious narrative function. That being said, it is an interesting and very watchable take on the Arthurian romance (although the movie takes care never to explicitly mention anything Arthurian)

Some random thoughts
This Gawain is the least competent questing knight, this side of Monty Python.
The director of photography took the 'dark' in Dark Ages very literally.
This is one for the Dev Patel fans. He is in the vast majority of the shots. I don't mind, and I think he is doing a great job here, but your mileage may vary.

All in all, an intriguing movie. There was just one instance that took me out of the movie: when the Lady asks Gawain if he believes in magic. Given the nature of his quest and the place where he is, that is a very silly question.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 06:09:29 PM »

I generally liked this but I'd be hard pressed to explain what I liked and didn't like about it.  Well, it's a good looking movie well performed, I can say that.  But I'd find it hard to even discuss.  I'd only recommend it to people whose tastes I knew pretty well though, I'd say that.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 06:51:50 AM »

All aspects I wondered about. Excalibur, eh?  This will go a long way to determining just when I see it.  (I choose movies and books the way most people do food: what would 'taste' good today?)   Thanks. 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »

All aspects I wondered about. Excalibur, eh?  This will go a long way to determining just when I see it.  (I choose movies and books the way most people do food: what would 'taste' good today?)   Thanks. 

After more consideration and seeing other people's reactions to the film, I think I might have misled people with that comparison. It's very much like EXCALIBUR in terms of the setting and mood, but it doesn't have as much action, it's much slower paced.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »

After more consideration and seeing other people's reactions to the film, I think I might have misled people with that comparison. It's very much like EXCALIBUR in terms of the setting and mood, but it doesn't have as much action, it's much slower paced.

Setting and mood are most of what I recall from EXCALIBUR so the comparison works for me.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 12:04:08 AM »

Setting and mood are most of what I recall from EXCALIBUR so the comparison works for me.   Wink

The thing I most remember about Excalibur is Trevor Jones' music.  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:12:58 AM »

The thing I most remember about Excalibur is Trevor Jones' music.  Cheers

I remember them using Carl Orff's "O Fortunata." Definitely one of my earliest exposures to classical music.

https://youtu.be/0JNlOTccdck

Archivist

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 02:07:20 AM »

When I was 13, we read the King Arthur legends for English class. When assigned to write my own take on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, I wrote about a furious sword battle where Sir Gawain had the upper hand, but a sudden riposte from the Knight severed one arm, and then a leg. The Green Knight bound his wounds and dragged him into the castle, into a room filled with other limbless knights, screaming and in chains. Gawain was just the latest in a line of those who had come to kill the Green Knight and failed. The story ends with the Knight closing the vast wooden door, muffling Sir Gawain as he began to scream like the others. Funny how I had forgotten this until now!  TeddyR

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 05:20:38 AM »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 05:22:59 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 05:43:02 PM »

Some random thoughts
This Gawain is the least competent questing knight, this side of Monty Python.

Looking at some reviews of this movie -I guess that was  the point.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE GREEN KNIGHT « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.