Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:23:38 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What was the first horror movie you ever seen? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What was the first horror movie you ever seen?  (Read 5135 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 08:40:39 AM »

I do not remember with any certainty, but I am pretty sure it was Dracula (1931) on TV in the early 60's.  I slept with the covers held tight up to my ears for the next 20 years.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 11:45:58 PM »

When My mom was a little girl, they brought a reel of Frankenstein vs The Wolfman to a birthday party she attended. She was so scared she threw up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:34:51 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 09:24:51 PM »

^ BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN most certainly counts!

I still need to see that

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Paquita

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 12:22:03 AM »

I am pretty sure there is a photo of me as an infant in my bassinet watching Night of the Living Dead.  I totally have to find the photo to prove it.  It might have been something else, but I remember seeing the photo when I was a kid and asking my mom if that was Night of the Living Dead and she said "probably".  I don't think that counts though.  I honestly don't remember the first one, I watched so many with my dad when I was little.  I guess I will have to go with Nightmare on Elm Street, I remember being in daycare or kindergarten and the kids always wanted to play "Freddy Krueger" and I was the only one that actually saw the movies.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 01:10:32 AM »

^ BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN most certainly counts!

I still need to see that

You won't regret it. It's spooky, funny, and sad.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Archivist

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 06:29:59 PM »

The first horror movie of which I was aware was Dracula (1979) with Frank Langella. I didn't know much about it apart from the title and images that were in newspapers of that time. Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of was being broadcast in Australia around that time, so I was familiar with the general legends surrounding Dracula.

Looking back, it appears that I didn't watch any horror movies until I was in my early teens, unless you count the rather mature The Black Hole (1979) which had horror elements.

1984 was a big year, with movies like Ghostbusters and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom that had horror elements, but again, I still didn't watch any horror movies directly.

The Gate (1987) was probably the first horror movie I saw, along with the Lovecraft schlock adaptation From Beyond (1986), both on VHS.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
pennywise37

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »

for me and i'm not even sure if it's my 1st one but it's the only one i can think of in (1987) why that year? because my brother taped off tv a Stephen King documentary which last i looked isn't even listed on IMDB!  it's pretty good to it was made to help promote The Running Man (1987) and that's one of my favorite horror movies. i have not read the book yet but at some point i'm sure i will.

anyways the commercials were taped since that night we went over some family friends and there's a commercial for Night of the Living Dead (1968)
and that one caught my interest and my brother introduced it to me and i'm not sure if this was on purpose but it was also my nephew's 1st horror film as well he's only 10
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2022, 08:06:13 PM »

I remember in 1968, me and my brother were living in a foster home, and the old hag that was our ' foster mom' was asleep in a chair, and the BLOB was on TV.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
pacman000

It's root beer & a candy cigar!

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2022, 10:41:17 PM »

The Blob (50’s,) Invasion of the Body Snatchers (59’s,) or Gremlins.

Tho, if I include Gremlins, I might have to include Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein. Fairly sure I saw that before the others.

There is one more I remember seeing a bit of one Halloween in 1st grade, but I don’t know the title. Then again, if I include movies I’ve only seen bits of, I’m not sure what the first one was.

Video Game Article Archive: https://vgaa.neocities.org/
WebSiteRing, Listing Old Websites & Bible Verses since 2016! https://websitering.neocities.org/
pacman000

It's root beer & a candy cigar!

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 10:48:17 PM »

*As a wedding present my parents had been given a movie projector and those were two of the films they got with it which I am told I wanted to watch constantly. I did not know these things were available to watch at home prior to VHS and I can't say I remember it growing up.
They were usually cut down to 20 to 40 minutes, focusing on highlights. I think there are some cut-down, 8mm, prints of Star Wars on YouTube.

Video Game Article Archive: https://vgaa.neocities.org/
WebSiteRing, Listing Old Websites & Bible Verses since 2016! https://websitering.neocities.org/
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2022, 10:22:42 AM »

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What was the first horror movie you ever seen? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.