Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:59:42 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Power (1984) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Power (1984)  (Read 5726 times)
Fork
« on: April 05, 2001, 12:55:32 AM »

I remember liking this movie when I saw it years ago in the late 80s or early 90s, is this worth searching for, or is it bad? I know I used to like it, but sometimes when I watch things now, that I used to like, I don't always have the same opinion.
Brian Ringler
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2001, 01:10:02 AM »

Isn't it always that way, you see a movie and remember liking it and then you search like crazy for it and find it.  Then it turns out to be complete crap that you can't believe you liked at one point.  There are many exceptions but I think everyone here has at least one story of a movie they remember but once they got didn't like it anymore
Abby
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2001, 02:00:14 AM »

I saw The Power in a theater back high school. For some reason, I think it was 1988/89. It has Richie Valens playing the cop.

It was pretty lame ... I remember laughing in the movie theater.

But for every movie that I liked in the past and now feel differently about, there's another flick which bored me once yet now seems gripping.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2001, 03:34:32 AM »

I looked through IMDb trying to find out what movie you were talking about.  Isn't the movie Abby is talking about THE FIRST POWER?  I remember watching that movie before my actual critical phrase and thinking it was good.  I haven't watched it recently but. . .

So what was THE POWER about?  I've probably seen it, seeing as I've seen so many bad movies, but what were the particulars of the plot?

I could try to elucidate, but I have no idea what movie you are thinking about.

By the way, what happened to Lou Diamond Phillips?  He was in LA  BAMBA.  That movie made a hell of a lot, and is still relatively respectable.  The last movie I saw him in was BATS.  Where is his badass Indian from YOUNG GUNS?

And Abby, I would not recommend looking up movies you liked in the past.  For instance i used to love TROLL, GOTCHA!, and HAMBURGER: THE MOVIE.  It's one thing to realize that you had no taste as a child, another thing entirely to find the same movies and try to watch them.  There's nothing more sobering than finding out exactly how stupid you were as a kid.
Abby
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2001, 04:19:11 AM »

Ah, you're right. Sorry ... like I've said elsewhere, I'm sleep deprived and 'off.' The Power is that one about the Indian idol. First Power is Richie Valens.

It's funny you mentioned 'Troll.' I actually thought of that movie first when reflecting upon bad movies I loved as a kid. I adored that flick, even though I knew it was bad (that 'dancing with myself' scene with the dad ... ugh). But the midgets ... Noah 'Boxy/Atraiu' Hathaway ... the slimy muppets. It's still my favorite Gremlins-era entry.

I've been trying to find a copy of Troll 2 to show my boyfriend. I can't find one anywhere. I've chalked it up to legendary levels to him.

A year or so ago, a friend of mine decided to relive his youthful fancies with me by picking up 'Streets of Fire' ... with Eddie ( of The Cruisers fame ... Michael Pere or something?) and the chick from Pee Wee's Big Adventure. A rock n' roll Rick Springfield meets Road Warrior thing. I was so embarrassed for him as I watched his childhood adulation fade into accute self-loathing. He had been so excited about it ... and I just laughed and laughed and laughed.
Josh Leman
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2001, 11:23:40 AM »

Maybe you're talking about a supporting character played by Richie Valens , but I'm pretty sure the cop in The First Power is Lou Diamond Phillips.
Chadzilla
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2001, 12:21:58 PM »

An idol for a (phony) god name Destacatyl grants those who possess it Great Power before turning them in psycho killer monsters (talk about you mixed up zombies).  From the same creative team behind The Dorm the Dripped Blood (aka Pranks).  I think that the notorious Ed Montoro had his sticky fingers in this movie (it was released by the now defunct Film Ventures International) and was heavily altered prior to release.  Nonetheless it has a few good cheese moments involving levitation and, in a different scene, a garbage disposal.  My memory of it gives it 2 slimes, but seeing it fresh today may alter my opinion.
Abby
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2001, 01:48:28 PM »

Yes, It's Lou ... I call him Richie because he complains about La Bamba type casting.
Josh Leman
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2001, 05:45:52 PM »

Oh, ok.  Haven't seen La Bamba in a while, and I probably look like an idiot now.  But not as much as poor old Lou, I guess, since he's been reduced to tripe like Supernova and Bats over the last couple of years.
Fork
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2001, 05:44:17 PM »

Thanks Chadzilla, thats the one I was talking about.
Scott
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2001, 08:21:55 AM »

A film must have a good "what was that" kind of scene for it to have a lasting effect. Its something that special effects, stars, and money can rarely reach.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Power (1984) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.