Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:00:03 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  JUDY (2019) starring RENEE ZELWEGGER « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JUDY (2019) starring RENEE ZELWEGGER  (Read 1448 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: May 28, 2022, 10:49:41 PM »

JUDY (2019) starring RENEE ZELWEGGER

This was broadcast on PBS out of NYC tonight.  I expected it to suck.  It was stunning.  I couldn't believe that that ending choked me up.  Great job! 

RENEE ZELWEGGER deserved her Oscar.  Anybody else see it? 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
pennywise37
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 01:10:30 AM »

really? i think she was the perfect choice for the role she was amazing in it i bought it for a couple of bucks a few years ago on bluray and i thought the film was terrible. i liked the (2001) Judy Garland film was done better that one i really loved. i forget what the actress's name who played her in that but she won an award for it. i think that Renee Zelwegger did with an oscar for the role if my memory is right. 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 08:43:39 AM »

I though the movie was just OK but Zelwegger was tremendous.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 12:34:55 PM »

It was smart for the script to focus on the end of JUDY's life, a short period of time.  RENEE obviously can't sing, but I gather that by 1969 JUDY was burned out anyway and it works. 

pennywise37

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 05:41:20 PM »

i think she can see i loved her in Chicago (2002) but is she as good as Garland that would be a Hell No she isn't her vocal cords aren't that good.  one thing in that movie that was a lie that i can think off the top of my head is that young guy Garland ended up meeting near the end of her life he married her and never left her but in the film they wrote in that he did leave her broken hearted.  i think Judy was someone who was hard to read at times, they had Liza in it well not the real one of course but the one in the film they should have had her in that film more than they did. 

iv'e seen far far worse movies to be fair but i guess my expectations were too high for it apparently but when it comes to Renee though she was wonderful in it Judy had one hell of a good voice and though she was pretty much broken down by the drugs she took and from life in general i think by the end of her life
she played that really well and since she was close to Judy's Age when she did it was more convincing rather than have a 25 year old play her with age make up on.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 10:32:37 PM »

SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BURNED OUT.  It works for the story they wanted to tell, significantly fiction. 
If one had a soft spot for JUDY GARLAND, one might be touched by that sad and sweet movie.  I do have JUDY's Carnegie album, which is really a must for fans of great live records.  As early as that (1962) one can hear the wear in her voice.  The famous stumbles in performance.  JUDY's 1968 / 69 shows in London were very well received then crashed and burned.  The fiction capitalizes on that in a sentimental tender way. 

pennywise37

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 11:34:14 PM »

for the film yes i was thinking along the lines in real life when i typed that i think Mickey Rooney said it best in his (1991) bio when he said that when Judy got famous for The Wizard of Oz (1939) fame rose to quickly before she was ready for it and did not handle it that well in his opinion and i would have to agree with that, i know the drugs on how she got started wasn't her fault but her mother's and i think the studios if that part is right, some say it's not some say it is i dunno whom to believe.

either way she became i think became wore out and difficult with the booze and everything because they were pulling her every which way and not giving her time to rest. she needed some time to recharge so she could put all her energy in the promotion of this or that but instead they said no they would not do it so the drugs and the booze became how she coped and i can't say that i blame her. it's quite sad really a woman as Talented as she was die so young and a lot of it was her mom who was one of the worst people and who controlled her and so forth and the studios as well.  i think the if i read this right not recently her managers really took advantage of her and her money which is why she was always broke.  i would not be surprised that he wanted to take a break at the end before she died but she had bills to pay. 

i dunno how much of this i got right but i'm sure some of it is right at least and that's better than none.  you can watch any movie of her life and all you will do is just feel sorry for her cause of how unhappy she really seemed later in her life. she also looked 20 years older than she was when she died due to the drugs and the booze. and from working non stop as well
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »

Bluesad
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:34:50 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  JUDY (2019) starring RENEE ZELWEGGER « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.