Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:55:58 AM
714198 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976)  (Read 727 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 01, 2022, 09:30:43 AM »

Jimmy Wang Yu! Yoga! Grenades! Blades! It's time to talk about...

Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976)

Plot: A blind kung-fu master gets news of his disciples dying at the hands of a one-armed kung-fu master. From then on he walks the country killing every one-armed person he sees for revenge. Meanwhile, a martial arts tournament gathers fighters from around China and beyond, many of them joining the rebel side against the unpopular Mongol dinasty.

Comments: With this sequel to One-armed boxer Jimmy Wang Yu takes his kung-fu films further away from the Shaw brothers style, not exactly sure if into his own territory or into Golden Harvest style. Anyway, there's little here that reminds me of the Chang Cheh kung-fu epics with their deliberate pacing and tidy scope shots. Everything in this film feels pulpy, bloody and rushed, but also estrangely energetic. From the very beginning the kung-fu fighting is over the top, with guys flying through the air, walking on walls and using all kinds of gizmos. The editing is also faster than in the previous instalment, and not only during the fights. My copy of the film ran around 80 minutes! And most of those are fights, either involving Wang Yu against a variety of assassins (loved the yoga master with extended arms: I bet Dhalsim was born here) or inside the martial arts contest.

My complains with the film are mostly with the editing as well. Not with the fast cutting during the fights, but with the loose plot (why bringing the Mongols here, other than being popular villains in Chinese cinema?) and the fantasy touches I thought what I was watching had absolutely nothing to do with the previous One-armed boxer, until Wang Yu threw in a flashback to the original to clarify things a little bit.

Oh, and there's also a moment in the final act when things get a little dull because Wang Yu decides to suddenly get rid of the martial arts contest subplot. It's a good thing that the final duel between Wang Yu and the blind master of guillotines is that good.

So, to sum up, not as good as the first One-armed boxer, but one of the wackiest kung-fu films I've ever seen.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Master of the Flying Guillotine (1976) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.