Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:53 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Missing white woman syndrome (Killing of Gabby Petito) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missing white woman syndrome (Killing of Gabby Petito)  (Read 3888 times)
claws
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Occidentali's Karma

« on: September 22, 2021, 01:03:11 AM »

Missing white woman syndrome is a term used by social scientists and media commentators to refer to the alleged disproportionate media coverage, especially in television, of missing-person cases involving young, white, upper-middle-class women or girls compared to the relative lack of attention towards missing women who are not white, women of lower social classes, and missing men or boys.

I've been following the Gabby Petito case after watching the police body cam footage of their domestic dispute while traveling, a few days before she went missing. The footage was released September 16.

(CNN) - Autopsy results have confirmed that the remains found Sunday in the Bridger-Teton National Forest are those of Gabby Petito, a 22-year-old woman who disappeared while on a trip exploring national parks with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, according to the FBI in Denver.
The FBI tweeted that Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue ruled the manner of death a homicide in his preliminary findings.
"The cause of death remains pending final autopsy results," the FBI said.
"Anyone with information concerning Mr. Laundrie's role in this matter or his current whereabouts should contact the FBI," Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider said.
The FBI in Denver said the agency would like information from anyone who may have had contact with Petito or Laundrie or who visited the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area between August 27-30 or may have seen their vehicle.
Petito's remains were found Sunday in an undeveloped camping area in Bridger-Teton National Forest on the eastern edge of Grand Teton National Park, officials have said.
Authorities in Florida are searching for Laundrie, who has not been seen in a week.
Petito's family said through an attorney earlier Tuesday that they need time to grieve.
"We will be making a statement when Gabby is home," attorney Richard Benson Stafford said in a statement obtained by CNN affiliate KSL.

Full story: cnn.com

Not really a weird news story. I thought the missing white woman syndrome bit is kind of weird but true I guess. It's sad what happen to this young woman but I also feel guilty for being drawn by this missing white woman syndrome thingie. Anyway, her fiancé has guilty written all over but he is now missing as well. Curious how this will turn out,
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:57:15 AM by claws » Logged

Is it October yet?
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »

I heard a comedian address this back in the late '80s or early '90s, who pointed out how the press tends to report the murders of "pretty" women, & I noticed he was right, but at the time, I also noticed they were still reporting the murders of black women who happened to be pretty....

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 04:37:47 PM »

My ex girlfriend from the 80's had both her parents murdered and set fire to her house. It was not solved for years. Not a word of it in the media except local news. They were old and very poor.

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2005/10/suspect_details_lawton_slaying.html

Meanwhile, some rich blonde woman in California goes missing- and everyone acts like it's the Manson murders times 3, and ends up on Dateline and 20/20.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 05:41:59 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 12:10:00 PM »

The boyfriend still remains missing. The boyfriend's parents changed the timeline surrounding the circumstances about their now missing son. A man claims he met and spoke briefly with the boyfriend while hiking yesterday.

Frustrating, because the boyfriend's parents remain silent about everything.

Is it October yet?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 01:36:06 PM »

The boyfriend still remains missing. The boyfriend's parents changed the timeline surrounding the circumstances about their now missing son. A man claims he met and spoke briefly with the boyfriend while hiking yesterday.

Frustrating, because the boyfriend's parents remain silent about everything.

Hopefully he's offed himself by now.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 12:31:37 AM »

And it seems that he is dead.

https://www.news24.com/news24/world/news/watch-gabby-petito-boyfriend-brian-laundrie-found-dead-20211022

Rot in hell, you piece of s**t.  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 02:25:42 AM »

I figured as much. He was a coward for (I assume) doing what he did and then taking the easy way out. Unless there is more behind the story.

Is it October yet?
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 04:45:40 PM »

They found "parts" of him...
There's speculation he thought he could hide out just long enough, but the assorted creatures that dwell in the swamp got 'im first.....

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
claws

Occidentali's Karma

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 02:40:22 PM »

Petito Family v. Laundrie Family Civil Lawsuit

The suit alleges that Laundrie informed his parents he killed Petito “on or about,” August 28, days before she was reported missing, and that they were planning to help him flee the country after the murder. Per the lawsuit, Petito's family are seeking damages for “intentional infliction of emotional distress.”

The Laundrie Family never commenting on the murder is kind of weird I think. Anyway, that's the update on this case.

Is it October yet?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Missing white woman syndrome (Killing of Gabby Petito) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.