Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:05:13 AM
713344 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Going back to nuclear. For or Against? Please keep it civil. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Going back to nuclear. For or Against? Please keep it civil.  (Read 6460 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2022, 04:31:56 PM »

I'm sorry, what were we talking about? Question

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »

China is a Communist country? LOL.

Question
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »

China is a Communist country? LOL.

Question

China does have the second most billionaires of any country, not a feature normally associated with Communism. But, we're off topic.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
LilCerberus

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2022, 10:56:35 PM »

Hydrogen? I've got a facebook friend who's always plugging that.....

How about an industrial turbine connected to a giant role of toilet paper that's being unraveled by an infinite number of cats?

How about an industrial turbine connected to a mile long stationary tandem bicycle, thus providing employment & solving obesity at the same time?

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2022, 12:30:06 AM »

rev - it sort of is though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomenklatura
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »

I think China today is a hybrid form of authoritarian semi-capitalism that doesn't really meet the classic definition of "Communism." I don't know what to call it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2022, 02:17:56 PM »

So... Nuclear power?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2022, 03:27:12 PM »

world governments looked at Sars and ebola and got to work making sure it never happened again. In the process of doing so they created and released a disease a thousand times worse than those. We are currently at risk of a nuclear war breaking out over what appears to be a pretty easy to solve issue that  was held at bay by past groups of leaders.  point is: I don't trust these people with nuclear power. I can already see people flippantly saying "oh well Arizona is radioactive for a million years so we can't go there"
LilCerberus

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2022, 03:40:40 PM »

Here in Virginia, we have two perfectly good nuclear power plants that half the coast relies on....

It's the grid that bothers me, such as the blackouts caused by hurricanes Isabel & Irene, or the blackout of 2003, when one line overheated & knocked out power to several states....

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2022, 03:01:31 AM »

Question

The ruling political party in China is Communist but its economy is a capitalist mixed economy, consisting of private and public corporations. It has around a thousand billionaires, with many women, but they've been experiencing significant losses due to the current global economic crisis.

https://www.axios.com/2022/03/20/china-new-billionaires-faster-us

I think there are few Communist countries left in the world. Two are North Korea and Cuba: they don't allow private corporations, although I think two companies in the latter have private investors with minority shares.

Interesting side note: China has had an average growth rate of around 7 pct across decades, one of the highest in the world. Cuba saw its economy grow by a factor of four in two decades, which means its ave. growth rate was around 10 pct per annum. The growth rate of North Korea is below middling, similar to that of the U.S.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2022, 03:06:19 AM »

I think China today is a hybrid form of authoritarian semi-capitalism that doesn't really meet the classic definition of "Communism." I don't know what to call it.

I think it's a mixed economy, similar to that of the U.S., but it emphasized public ownership, e.g., cooperatives, state corporations. The CCP is also a major partner in foreign enterprises and has strategic planning.

The latter is an integral part of the so-called East Asian Miracle, which was started first by Japan, and then followed by South Korea, Taiwan, and many others in the region.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2022, 03:15:43 AM »

To recap, for nuclear power, take note of energy returns, if not both energy quanty and quality. Consider the bubble chart in this page:

http://theoildrum.com/node/3786

Thus, you have an energy return (what you get from what you invest) plus energy supply demand (what the global economy needs to maintain basic needs, if not wants).

Given that, one source (Albert?) points out that with total uranium supplies worldwide may provide around 5 years of power if the world economy uses nuclear. Extract from the oceans, and you probably get an additional decade. But this does not factor in rare metals, etc., needed for reactors, etc. These have even greater supply constraints.

With that, plus the point that oil production per capita peaked back in 1979:

https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/2013/07/peak-oil-what-peak-oil.html

the world population will need to get every source of energy it can access in order to maintain the world economy.

Finally, possible sources that can replace nuclear are tide power and hopeful tech for geothermal:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

https://www.quaise.energy/

The freaky thing, though, is that it reminds me of certain sci-fi disaster movies. Gee, what could go wrong?

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2022, 03:23:22 AM »

I forgot to add this point, and this connects what I was talk about economies and late capitalism:

The energy supply mentioned refers to meeting basic needs. Capitalism goes beyond that.

For example, the U.S. only has around 5 pct of the world's population but needs around 20 pct of oil to power up around a quarter of the world's passenger vehicles and light trucks. It's part of a world population where the top 20 pct are responsible for over 60 pct of personal consumption.

One can argue that the 20 pct are lucky and that they have to say sorry to the 80 pct because the latter will never get what they have. Unfortunately, capitalism doesn't work that way: the 20 pct earn a lot from income and returns on investment because of greater sales of goods and services to.....the 80 pct.

In short, in order for the 20 pct to get what they want, their businesses have to sell more to the 80 pct, who are not only their customers but also their workers.

That's why the reference to late capitalism is important: in that stage, economies experience high levels of income which lead to high levels of consumption. That's why the ecological footprint per capita of richer countries is many times higher than those of poorer ones.

Meanwhile, more of the 80 pct are growing richer and consuming more, which is what the 20 pct want to happen for reasons already given:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-22956470

With that, some estimate that the amount of energy and resources needed to sustain such a global middle class will be the equivalent of three more earths.

That's why the question of going back to nuclear is a non-issue: we'll need to go back to that and more. That is, we'll need to put every energy source we can get our hands on online to maintain that global capitalist economy.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Going back to nuclear. For or Against? Please keep it civil. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.