Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:47:04 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  New MTG « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New MTG  (Read 1646 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: January 11, 2023, 03:06:39 PM »

Bought my first new Magic the Gathering booster pack in a fairly long while and was impressed by the fact that while none of the fifteen random cards was spectacular, all were useful, no throwaways. The land included was a Forest and the artwork deviated from most basic lands I've seen in that it looked like a massive art deco city.

Someday someone should do a coffee table book showcasing that game's art.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 11:17:31 AM »

Be very careful about buying Magic: The Gathering cards. Hasbro might just send round the heavy mob.

Wizards of the Coast sent private detectives, allegedly from the infamous Pinkerton Agency, to retrieve leaked Magic: The Gathering cards from a YouTuber. Earlier this week, the YouTuber "oldschoolmtg" posted a video explaining that private detectives from the Pinkerton Agency arrived to his home over the weekend to retrieve cards from the upcoming "March of the Machines – Aftermath" set, which is due out in a couple of weeks. Previously, "oldschoolmtg" had posted several videos of him opening several packs from the mini-set, which revealed the 50-card set in its entirety. Per the videos, the YouTuber had 22 boxes of product that he had purchased from an acquaintance nearly a month before its official release date. According to "oldschoolmtg," the product was likely mistakenly shipped to his contact due to the set's familiarity with the "March of the Machines" set (which is widely available now) and wound up in his hands because the contact didn't realize that it was unreleased product

"oldschoolmtg" explained that after posting the videos, private detectives came to his doorstep to retrieve "stolen material." While the YouTuber claimed that the cards he showed off in his videos were legally obtained, he still turned over the product and took down his videos anyways. The Pinkerton detectives allegedly took not only the products, but also the leftover boxes and wrappers.

Wizards of the Coast confirmed to multiple websites, including Kotaku, that the Pinkertons were indeed "part of their investigation." The Pinkerton Agency is an infamous security agency known for their aggressive and occasionally violent operations against organized labor. The Pinkertons not only have a place in the history books, they were also used as an antagonist in Red Dead Redemption 2. The agency is now part of the Securitas AB corporation, a multinational security company.

According to his video, the Pinkerton agents provided "oldschoolmtg" with the contact information for a Wizards of the Coast representative, who was apparently apologetic about the situation. "He was very apologetic about making my wife cry first thing in the morning by sending these heavy-duty lawmen [to] come collect stuff and talk about stolen products and jail time," the YouTuber stated. "But they don't believe we stole anything — which we didn't. I don't know if they believe anybody really stole anything or if it was just an accident or whatever. But they wanted the product back so they could try and figure out where the hole was so they could plug the hole." Wizards also apparently offered the YouTuber some form of compensation, although it's unclear whether he'll be fully reimbursed for the now confiscated product.

We should note that this is the second major story surrounding card game supply chain breaches in the past month. ComicBook.com previously reported on the discovery that The Pokemon Company had launched an investigation into the theft of a number of rare Pokemon cards stolen from one of their printing facilities. That occurred in 2021 and also allegedly involved an internal investigation of some kind.

I am very curious about what legal rights the company had here vs the householder, but certainly looking at it from a PR point of view we couldn't see any way the company could get a win out of doing things this way.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »

Someday someone should do a coffee table book showcasing that game's art.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Magic-Gathering-Zendikar/dp/142158249X

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 12:09:10 AM »

I think when you wrote this, the Brothers War was the newest set?  What do you think of Murders at Karlov Manor?  I think it looks good so far from what I've seen but I'm just talking about the art.  There seems to be a lot of griping about the set from the players online but I'm not really sure what the reason is.  My husband is a MTG expert and even he can't figure out why there's so much hate.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 12:38:54 AM »

I thought MTG stood for Majorie Taylor Green.  Lookingup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 06:03:07 AM »

No idea who that is, but no. It's Magic: The Gathering.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 07:33:35 AM »

She's a loony tunes far-right politician.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 09:24:28 AM »

I think when you wrote this, the Brothers War was the newest set?  What do you think of Murders at Karlov Manor?  I think it looks good so far from what I've seen but I'm just talking about the art.  There seems to be a lot of griping about the set from the players online but I'm not really sure what the reason is.  My husband is a MTG expert and even he can't figure out why there's so much hate.

I saw those and I admit, they look impressive, reminding me a little of the Agatha Christie-themed quest in Oblivion, if you've played that, but I almost never buy new MTG cards anymore, not only because I have so many already, more than I could ever need, and not only because the prices have been so inflated, but because I don't like the directions the game has been taken in this decade and prefer old school. When my daughter comes home this summer I'll see if she wants to go to the card shop and pick up some single cards out of the bin, and by then some from that set will probably be there for a quarter a card.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  New MTG « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.