Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:28:46 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Star Trek: Strange New Worlds « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds  (Read 5962 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: January 29, 2023, 04:13:59 PM »

I waited about seventeen years for there to be another live action Star Trek series I enjoyed, and I finally have it. This one is a winner!  Cheers Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 04:18:19 PM »

Have you watched Below Decks?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 10:46:09 PM »

Yes! I love it too!

Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 09:02:45 AM »

Have you watched Below Decks?

ER did specify live action.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 06:04:40 PM »

Yes! I love it too!

I thought you might.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 01:52:21 AM »

The Iggy Pop in Deep Space 9 episode might have replaced The Trouble With Tribbles as my favourite episode from any Star Trek series.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 06:51:54 PM »

Darn it, they are not getting season two right. It's happening again.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 01:02:26 AM »

I don't understand Star trek. They just sit in that main room and look out at space and say stuff
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 05:43:57 PM »

I don't understand Star trek. They just sit in that main room and look out at space and say stuff

Question I....disagree, Chris.

I think I figured out what was bugging me about SNW. While the first season was pretty good, and the second season has not been bad thus far, I think those producing it (are so woke?) have no concept of a command structure, so when some subordinate (who happens to be a butchy lesbian character) mouths off to Spock, critiquing his delivery of an order he's given her, instead of Spock responding like a superior officer, he responds like a whipped white male and apologetically tells her, head ducked with shame: "Yes, I am trying to work on that." (Work on the coldness of his Vulcan nature, in other words.) All the classic series maintained the idea of this being the military, there being a chain of command, it wasn't a group of equals who sat around and corrected one another and outdid one another on how sensitive and enlightened they were. The attitude here is exactly how everyone is equal and some have a lot to learn before they're acceptably beaten into proper social correctness by a select few held up as the exemplars  of behavior and outlook.

It reminds me of how Peter Jackson took the master/servant relationship out of Tolkien's portrayal of Frodo and Sam, and just made them friends, perhaps at best a guy and his boss, two buddies. We can't seem to understand a hierarchy anymore, even in a show about the crew of a military vessel.

So that's what bugged me.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:53:35 PM by ER » Logged

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 08:58:50 PM »

Tonight's Lower Decks crossover episode was awwwwwwesome!

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 03:34:46 AM »

I'll need to watch the new episodes. Picked up Kristi the Lower Decks rpg as a saturnis present.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 02:46:01 PM »

I have picked at the faults of this show but I truly do enjoy it and I wish it ran for longer than ten episodes per year. I will miss it when it's gone.

Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 08:26:20 PM »

It reminds me of how Peter Jackson took the master/servant relationship out of Tolkien's portrayal of Frodo and Sam, and just made them friends, perhaps at best a guy and his boss, two buddies. We can't seem to understand a hierarchy anymore, even in a show about the crew of a military vessel.

Yeah, I do find this a bit off, including sometimes in the new Trek shows like you mentioned.  They keep it light in Strange New Worlds when it happens as it's meant to be banter basically separate from the command type stuff, so I don't find it *super* galling, but yeah, it's too much and doesn't feel right for what SHOULD be a regimented situation they're showing.  Occasionally they had similar bits in TOS, like Chekov would get in a line, but tonally it would fit a bit better.

I'm reminded of this scene from TNG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtKNZw4Bo

I can't imagine a scene like that happening now.

That said, I am also enjoying Strange New Worlds too!  Good show.  Not to season 2 yet, started it a week or so ago.  Anson Mount as Pike is a standout, but I think most of the cast is solid, and episode 2 (with the comet) was quite interesting and pretty much classic Trek stuff.
BRΛINΦΠΦTΣMPLΣ
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2024, 11:28:27 AM »

Question I....disagree, Chris.

I think I figured out what was bugging me about SNW. While the first season was pretty good, and the second season has not been bad thus far, I think those producing it (are so woke?) have no concept of a command structure, so when some subordinate (who happens to be a butchy lesbian character) mouths off to Spock, critiquing his delivery of an order he's given her, instead of Spock responding like a superior officer, he responds like a whipped white male and apologetically tells her, head ducked with shame: "Yes, I am trying to work on that." (Work on the coldness of his Vulcan nature, in other words.) All the classic series maintained the idea of this being the military, there being a chain of command, it wasn't a group of equals who sat around and corrected one another and outdid one another on how sensitive and enlightened they were. The attitude here is exactly how everyone is equal and some have a lot to learn before they're acceptably beaten into proper social correctness by a select few held up as the exemplars  of behavior and outlook.

So that's what bugged me.

wow! w/ tHat kinda description of it being a hollowed-out shell of itz former self and flatlining into a politicized entropic death-hell certainly sold me! ^-^b
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Star Trek: Strange New Worlds « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.