Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:24:15 PM
714145 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars, A Bad, Bad Movie « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Star Wars, A Bad, Bad Movie  (Read 2855 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2023, 06:00:32 PM »

A NEW HOPE is one of my least favorite movies in the saga, and sometimes I'm amazed at how it became so insanely popular in the first place.

Y'see, STAR WARS was STAR WARS in 1977.  Is that now "STAR WARS A New Hope" with retitle?  Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 10:04:46 PM »

There's a similar point given here:

"Why The Empire Strikes Back is overrated"

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20200430-star-wars-why-the-empire-strikes-back-is-overrated

That might explain why I was confused when I saw the start of the second movie. I thought that the Empire experienced heavy losses at the end of the first movie, but now the rebels were on the run again. It's as if the first film was irrelevant, and what might have happened was explained only briefly in the scroll text.

I assumed, given the title of the second movie, that the Empire was at a disadvantage but found a way to strike back.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2023, 01:26:26 PM »

A NEW HOPE is one of my least favorite movies in the saga, and sometimes I'm amazed at how it became so insanely popular in the first place.

Y'see, STAR WARS was STAR WARS in 1977.  Is that now "STAR WARS A New Hope" with retitle?  Lookingup

Hey, you gotta recognize them somehow.  BounceGiggle

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2023, 01:35:40 PM »

Hey, you gotta recognize them somehow.  BounceGiggle

I was 16 the year STAR WARS came out.  Changing the title decades later is... oh bah-ruh-uhther...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 03:44:09 PM »

To me, this whole 'A New Hope' thing is symptomatic of the thing Star Wars has become. It started out as an essentially stand alone take on the Flash Gordon style SF, and then they developed this overarching mythology out of the various elements that were most popular. As the mythology grew, they had to somehow fit in the first movie and pretend that this had been planned all along. Now I am aware of the genesis of Star Wars and George Lucas's vision, but in the first trilogy they were pretty much picking and modifying whatever elements from the background saga that took their fancy.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 10:37:19 PM »

Inspired by Joseph Campbell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Rg7tbBZdM

Reminds me of that scene from Reign of Fire, where kids who grew up with no electricity, TV, movies, etc., are enthralled by adults retelling the Star Wars story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBA1wii70o

I remember a sadder one, which I think involved kids watching an old video tape of a children's show in the movie Threads.

Finally, there's a related scene from Postman and others.

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2023, 10:34:45 PM »

Related:

"Liam Neeson Says ‘Star Wars’ Is Being Hurt by ‘So Many Spinoffs’: ‘It’s Taken Away the Mystery and the Magic’"

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/liam-neeson-disses-star-wars-hurt-spinoffs-1235526503/

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars, A Bad, Bad Movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.