Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:20:12 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Quentin Tarantino on streaming movies: 'It's almost like they don't exist' « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino on streaming movies: 'It's almost like they don't exist'  (Read 2859 times)
claws
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Occidentali's Karma

« on: May 26, 2023, 03:18:11 PM »

Quentin Tarantino is the latest A-list director to decry what the streaming business is doing to the film industry.

Speaking with Deadline from the Cannes Film Festival, the director of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood explained how the advent of films on streaming influenced his decision to retire.

"I like the idea of giving it my all for 30 years and then saying, 'OK, that's enough,'" he told Deadline film columnist Baz Bamigboye. "And I don't like working to diminishing returns. And I mean, now is a good time because I mean, what even is a motion picture anyway anymore? Is it just something that they show on Apple? That would be diminishing returns."

Tarantino went on to say that, in his opinion, true movies are released in theaters before they "eventually get to television." The director said that he will likely make his final film, reportedly called The Movie Critic, with Sony studios "because they're the last game in town that is just absolutely, utterly, committed to the theatrical experience. It's not about feeding their streaming network. They are committed to theatrical experience. They judge success by asses on seats."

Like Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, and Christopher Nolan before him, Tarantino thinks the streaming industry is devaluing the artistic value of filmmaking. "I mean, and I'm not picking on anybody, but apparently for Netflix, Ryan Reynolds has made $50 million on this movie and $50 million on that movie and $50 million on the next movie for them," he told Deadline. "Well, good for him that he's making so much money. But those movies don't exist in the zeitgeist. It's almost like they don't even exist."

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/quentin-taran...154739376.html

Does he have a point or is it just old "get off my lawn" way thinking?

Is it October yet?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 03:50:37 PM »

I think he has a point.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 03:52:56 PM »

He's talking about straight to streaming releases. His point, I think, is that everyone forgets about these Netflix original movies a few days after they premiere. There's none of the buildup that you get through a theatrical release that creates an ongoing conversation among movie fans. They're disposable. For example, have you heard of the three Ryan Reynolds movies he's talking about? I had to look them up.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 04:24:57 PM »

The world is changing and it is leaving these guys behind. For better or worse, this is how things are and it isn't the fault of Netflix or any other streaming giant. It comes down to the choice of people sitting at home to watch them instead of going to the cinema.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 10:22:23 AM »

Bigger things to care about but he's right, and while it is looking like going to a multiplex and seeing cinematic movies may be in decline like drive-ins were after the mid-'80s (well actually drive-ins didn't decline, they almost instantly collapsed...a lesson there) I think TV will swallow "movies" whole unless movies find a way to differentiate themselves from TV/streaming. Remember straight to video movies? A lot of recent releases that went to streaming almost from the start remind me of straight to video, no matter what their budget or who was in them. I think it bodes ill for the motion picture industry if it cannot keep its movies in theaters in the future. (It also should stop turning out such mediocre, predictable films. TV and streaming have owned the creative force in this century.)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 01:10:57 PM »

Our oldest theater chain Ster Kinekor is currently in business rescue and the other chain Nu Metro isn't doing too well either.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 04:12:37 PM »

I am sure the same kind of things must have been said when VHS and Betamax came around. You can either adapt to the new world or go the way of the dinosaurs.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 04:45:04 PM »

"I'm not picking on anybody"

- picks on Ryan Reynolds -

I don't do streaming (movies or music), but I've never really been a big fan of going to the cinema (or going to gigs) either. I like the owning the physical media part.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 05:53:49 PM »

I am sure Ryan Reynolds will be crying himself to sleep on his bed of $150 million dollars. PersonallyHis, I don't think Tarantino is a great director. Yeah, he can make a ton of money, but hey so can Ryan Reynolds. His best work seems to be well behind him. Increasingly his films seem to be a series of loosely connected situations rather than a single plot running through them. I remember watching The Hateful Eight with some other people and at the end of it, everyone said the same thing. It was a very long time taken to get to nowhere. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood got the same reaction from me.

If streaming services have found a better way for them of getting their product to the consumer, and the consumers agree, then filmmakers are going to have to adjust accordingly. For myself, I mean I'll admit I find the cinematic experience overrated. The volume is often too loud to listen to comfortably, you have other people often making noise and disrupting it, the tickets are overpriced (more the fault of the distributors than the cinema chains) as are the concession stands. Why the hell would I want to put up with that when instead I can put the film on in the comfort of my own home, at a time when I choose to watch it while also having the option of watching a whole lot more movies and it all costs me less.

The only way I could see the cinema being better is if I was going to see movies that no one else wanted to watch and the auditorium was practically empty. If you are getting that though the chances are your cinema is losing money. I have many fantastic memories of going to the cinema as a kid and watching movies with my mum, but if we'd been able to sit at home and watch those films together I can't see those memories as being any less precious.

ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 10:46:41 PM »

The trendline is not only towards streaming but even virtual sets and using only actors' likeness to computer-generate characters. After that, they'll probably be able to license people's appearances and voices, and then use AI to generate sets and characters. Probably similar can happen for screenplays, the music, etc.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 08:36:06 AM »

^ If that happens- I'll quit watching new movies. f**k that.
AI nay be able to copy all that sh!t, but creating art requires human emotions- and no machine can replace that.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 08:40:04 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 09:20:01 AM »

^ If that happens- I'll quit watching new movies. f**k that.
AI nay be able to copy all that sh!t, but creating art requires human emotions- and no machine can replace that.

I agree it has gone too far , not saying this kind of technology can’t be used in good ways, but the prospect of a movie that is basically an AI generated cast of famous actors doesn’t appeal to me. And with some of the ‘deep fakes’ they’re capable of now I’m sure it can be done

One minor exception… if they did a movie where they ‘resurrected’ a dead actor, eg Christopher Lee, and incorporated that into a new movie, I admit I’d be interested to see how it worked. Just once.

In fact Christopher Lee would be the perfect choice to do that with :)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 09:44:18 AM »

We already have movies where none of the characters on screen exist outside of that. We call them cartoons. We already use computers to draw them on rather than by hand. Having the computers generate them seems to be the next logical step on that chain.

I do agree that I don't want to see this taking over making films with real people, but I can also understand the appeal of this to moviemakers. No stars demanding script changes, no risk of actors having injuries, no one turning up late to set or being difficult, no big paychecks for a headline name. For a studio, there must be a lot of temptation right there. Even if it costs the same as a normal film, you still run less risks in the making of it and it is a hell of a lot easier to reshoot scenes. No trying to bring back actors who are already working on another movie, or have grown a mustache in the meantime etc. 

It will all be down to us though and if we all go and pay money to see them. I'd suspect if watching an AI-generated movie was made cheaper than one with real people it would be successful and replace traditional movies.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2023, 09:52:29 AM »

^ Then I won't watch them. Cartoons are- or "were" drawn by humans- not robots. And written by humans.
I'm an artist- and no computer can know what little details I may incorporate into a work- something that just clicks in my brain- that strikes me as weird or cool. f**k AI "art".

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2023, 12:10:03 PM »

We already have movies where none of the characters on screen exist outside of that. We call them cartoons. We already use computers to draw them on rather than by hand. Having the computers generate them seems to be the next logical step on that chain.

I do agree that I don't want to see this taking over making films with real people, but I can also understand the appeal of this to moviemakers. No stars demanding script changes, no risk of actors having injuries, no one turning up late to set or being difficult, no big paychecks for a headline name. For a studio, there must be a lot of temptation right there. Even if it costs the same as a normal film, you still run less risks in the making of it and it is a hell of a lot easier to reshoot scenes. No trying to bring back actors who are already working on another movie, or have grown a mustache in the meantime etc. 

It will all be down to us though and if we all go and pay money to see them. I'd suspect if watching an AI-generated movie was made cheaper than one with real people it would be successful and replace traditional movies.

I dunno....
While characters tend to have legs, the names behind it all tend to have a lot to do with attracting people to a movie...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Quentin Tarantino on streaming movies: 'It's almost like they don't exist' « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.