Main Menu

Oppenheimer (2023)

Started by Trevor, July 21, 2023, 04:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel Knight

Quote from: ER on July 21, 2023, 01:35:57 PM
I haven't seen this film but for maybe the last week mention of it has surrounded me everywhere I turn, radio, TV, online. I can't tell if that's spontaneous and organic because it's great or if it's just got massive promotional dollars behind it.

Over the years I've learned that truly organic popularity doesn't exist anymore, and that's assuming that it ever did in the first place. The most "spontaneous" something looks nowadays, the more scripted it is, especially when it involves already popular figures. The amount of money flowing behind scenes to promote this thing must be insane.

The biggest example I can see all the time here is around the football player, Lionel Messi. He's actually from my city, Rosario, and sometimes photos of him in the supermarket or ordering food from takeovers start to show up around the media, trying to cash in at the idea of his usual low profile and family ties. I cringe every time somebody mention this, as if one of the most famous sportsman in the world would just buy stuff personally from a random store, or receive a total stranger in his house just to bring food. Behind those photos there's probably an army of PR people trying to make it as good as possible, with security guards all over the place.

Or perhaps I'm just too skeptical, which is a strong possibility. :tongueout:
Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2

M.10rda

Quote from: Trevor on July 23, 2023, 07:49:27 AM
Quote from: bob on July 22, 2023, 04:28:41 PM
I'm going to wait to see this until it comes out on bluray to see this

it's 3 hour run time is a much long  :buggedout:

The longest film I ever saw was Larry of Arabia  :wink:

3 hours ain't much these days, really, even in the theater. Cannot recall the longest stint I've spent in a theater watching one film. I made it through about 2/3rds of the CREMASTER cycle once in the mid-00s...

Rev. Powell

Quote from: zombie no.one on July 25, 2023, 02:06:54 PM

personally I cannot even remember the last time a new movie came out and made me think 'yeah I want/need to see this'...

There are always at least a couple a year for me (although they're never the big ones). Last one was BEAU IS AFRAID.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

chainsaw midget

I have no desire to see Oppenheimer.  Nothing about it appeals to me.  Barbie is one I'm at least curious about.  I might see it one day if I find it in the discount DVD bin.

The Burgomaster

I saw it in IMAX last weekend and really enjoyed it. I'll definitely buy the blu-ray when it comes out.
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."