Main Menu

Movies or Series still not avalable in America/US Blu-Ray.

Started by Cult_Moody_Movies, August 31, 2023, 06:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cult_Moody_Movies

A random thought came to mind. While I (and I am sure many of you) have found ways to get around missing out on films, if you are wanting official releases of obscure titles you are sometimes SOL.

What are some of the films you are wanting on for an official DVD/Blu-Ray/4K?

Here are some for me:
Felidae (1994)

Crimson Bat, the Blind Swordswoman (1969)

Sweet Home (1989) - The game would also be awesome to get a legit translation as well.

The Masters of Time (1982)

Lensman (1984) -

Rev. Powell

Only available in expensive imports from Japan, but I have a feeling that may change soon.

I published a list (updated from a similar 2011 list) back in 2019. Since then, "She's Allergic to Cats" showed up on Amazon Prime, "Teenage Tupelo" got an independent Blu-ray, and "Son of the White Mare" and "Celine and Julie Go Boating" got major releases.

https://366weirdmovies.com/wheres-the-weirdness-part-2-top-10-weird-movies-not-yet-on-home-video/
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

M.10rda

Great article, Rev!

Because you ask:
>>>  At any rate, Cremaster deserves at least a footnote here; if you track it down somehow and catch a glimpse, tell us what you think.

As I posted on here in the past, I attended a marathon screening in 2004 or 2005. I tapped out early in CREMASTER 4, iirc, and now I regret it, as the stills look like fun and also as #5 is clearly really out there. All I can claim is that the Cycle is, largely, more entertaining to read about and fantasize about than it is to watch. By hour 5-ish I was drained and donezo.

I remember little about #1. #3 has a fabulous premise and sounds like it would be an epic HOLY MOUNTAIN-like experience, but it just crawls along (...often vertically...) and never delivers the frisson one expects. Also, there are looong musical interludes of two screamo/hardcore bands performing their atonal, ear-splitting crap... not a fan.

#2 was the standout for me... I still remember it pretty clearly and think about it sometimes. It's essentially a second screen adaptation of Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song w/ Matthew Barney himself playing Gary Gilmour (convincingly) and Mailer playing... Harry Houdini?!  There's a palpable atmosphere of dread and doom, and even some suspense. Nice photography too - throughout the cycle, of course, but in this one it's actually in service of a coherent story.

...Let it live larger in your dreams!

Rev. Powell

Quote from: M.10rda on September 01, 2023, 08:02:07 AM
Great article, Rev!

Because you ask:
>>>  At any rate, Cremaster deserves at least a footnote here; if you track it down somehow and catch a glimpse, tell us what you think.

As I posted on here in the past, I attended a marathon screening in 2004 or 2005. I tapped out early in CREMASTER 4, iirc, and now I regret it, as the stills look like fun and also as #5 is clearly really out there. All I can claim is that the Cycle is, largely, more entertaining to read about and fantasize about than it is to watch. By hour 5-ish I was drained and donezo.

I remember little about #1. #3 has a fabulous premise and sounds like it would be an epic HOLY MOUNTAIN-like experience, but it just crawls along (...often vertically...) and never delivers the frisson one expects. Also, there are looong musical interludes of two screamo/hardcore bands performing their atonal, ear-splitting crap... not a fan.

#2 was the standout for me... I still remember it pretty clearly and think about it sometimes. It's essentially a second screen adaptation of Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song w/ Matthew Barney himself playing Gary Gilmour (convincingly) and Mailer playing... Harry Houdini?!  There's a palpable atmosphere of dread and doom, and even some suspense. Nice photography too - throughout the cycle, of course, but in this one it's actually in service of a coherent story.

...Let it live larger in your dreams!

Yeah, one of our correspondents went to the screening of the whole series at the Metrograph this year and found it a little underwhelming. I saw another "rare" Matthew Barney movie, "Redoubt," and it was OK but nothing special. Barney did a better job of creating a legend than a movie. But I think that with Cremaster he may have a point that it was always meant to be a museum exhibition rather than a movie. The idea being that you wouldn't watch it front to back, but could just catch a bit until you'd had your fill, then move on to another exhibit.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Cult_Moody_Movies

Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) -

From what I understand Amazon Prime had an HD version so I figure this was eventually going to come....that wasn't the case.

The Secret of Roan Inish (1994)

This one was also on Amazon Prime. There is a DVD version in a combo pack but would prefer an HD version.

Jim H

One of my mother's favorite movies is Truly, Madly, Deeply.  It helped her deal with the loss of my father.  I've wanted to get her a better copy than her old VHS, but the DVD isn't great and the bluray is UK only and region locked.  I guess I could figure out a region free solution, but that's not something she'd want to deal with.  Contemplating buying it and ripping/reburning it with region protection ripped, but it's absurd that's even needed.

Bit of an aside, they published Alan Rickman's diaries as a reference to that film (he co-stars in it), as they're titled Madly, Deeply.  I assume it meant something to him as well.