Main Menu

Perfect Blue (1997)

Started by Cult_Moody_Movies, September 11, 2023, 10:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cult_Moody_Movies

Recently went to a convention in PA, looking for something to do in the evening I noticed that the local Regal was showing Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue. This was the first time watching it since the I watched it on the Sci-fi Channel WAY back in the 90's. I really think it is one of the most underrated horror/thriller films of the 1990's and shows that animation can be more then the generic western fair of fairy tales and slapstick.  In my opinion it is a film that defined 1990's horror that predicted the dangers of internet culture including harassment, celebrity stalking, mental health, and so on. I highly recommend Kon's work (even if you don't like anime) including Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, and Paprika but I feel Perfect Blue is a great start to his filmography.

Trailers -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsz9D7hNgg8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8I4v9U4mw

Rev. Powell

Agree, everyone should see this. If you think anime is all kids' stuff, this will change your mind.
I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...

Dr. Whom

I watched it way back in the day, so my memory is a bit hazy, but I was blown away by it.
"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

WingedSerpent

Quote from: Dr. Whom on September 12, 2023, 12:49:49 AM
I watched it way back in the day, so my memory is a bit hazy, but I was blown away by it.

Funny.  I remember watching it back in the day, and not really liking it.  Maybe my tastes have changed and should give it a re-watch some day.
At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...

Archivist

I watched this in the late 90s and found it very good, albeit rather unpleasant. Maybe a rewatch is in order.

There are apparently quite a few visual similarities in Black Swan (2010) that seem lifted from Perfect Blue. Aronofsky owns the remake rights to Perfect Blue, too. By the way, I disliked Black Swan immensely.
"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus

M.10rda

Cult Moody, agreed entirely - prescient and great film. (PAPRIKA is my favorite Kon, however, and will be on my list on another thread here...)

Cult_Moody_Movies

Quote from: M.10rda on September 15, 2023, 06:51:43 PM
Cult Moody, agreed entirely - prescient and great film. (PAPRIKA is my favorite Kon, however, and will be on my list on another thread here...)

His death was a loss to anime, animation and film.

Cult_Moody_Movies

It's also an excuse when I make a horror/Halloween playlist to put J-Pop on it. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ_DH7jzoxQ&list=PLB01D0FF169A2E688

chainsaw midget

It's a great drama/thriller/horror thing that does it better than I ever really expected anime to be able to pull off.  I say this as an anime fan too. 

I loved the jumping from the light posts/character running contrasts in particularly.