Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:39:38 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What makes a movie, a bad movie?? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What makes a movie, a bad movie??  (Read 5686 times)
Scott Davis
« on: April 05, 2001, 06:42:08 PM »

Really, I want to know.

Whats the criteria?(SP?)
Mofo Rising
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2001, 03:08:42 AM »

Well, I'd assume the main criteria in judging a bad movie is that you didn't like it.  Simple enough.

If you're looking for movies that fit this bad movie site, then you'd have to look at many factors.

I'd say the first of which is that the film did not succeed in it's original intention.  You usually see these films trying to make a statement or define a new level in artistic excellence.  You usually see these films failing miserably at this goal.  This is usually pretty painful to watch unless the filmmaker was so inept that it rises to the level of ill-begotten entertainment.  Ed Wood fits nicely into this category.  UNBREAKABLE fits in this category too, but that film isn't entertaining.

A second category are films that know they really have no artistic merit and are just there to entertain.  Take a look at RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD or DEAD ALIVE.  Two of the finest films I've ever seen, but I don't think very many people would describe them as art.  A lot of sci-fi and horror films (read "genre" films) are in this category.  Okay, I view DEAD ALIVE as high art, but it doesn't appeal to the general public.

At the very bottom of the rung you find films that have no artistic leanings or entertainment value.  The kind of films that wouldn't even hold up to an MST3King, the pain is that great.

These criteria change from person to person.  I don't think you need someone else to tell you when a film is bad.  You know them when you see them, and you see them quite a bit more often than you should.
Gerry
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2001, 12:05:11 PM »

To me a bad movie is one that does not appeal to the general public for whatever reason.  That does not bar it from being a good or even great movie.  It's just one of the movies that, when you mention the title, people look at you with an expression that says, "You like that movie?"

A few examples:

Reptilicus (I recorded it off of AMC last night with great glee and do a little dance checking my tape this morning to make sure it recorded.  My wife just shakes her head in incomprehension.)

Equinox (The movie that did the Blair Witch thing 30 years before BW, i.e. college kids lost in the woods have a supernatural encounter.  Even I admit that this movie is terrible, but for some reason, I just can't stay away from it.  It's uber-cool.)

Cyborg (Jean-Claude Van Damme fight post-apocalyptic bad guys to save the world.  From the first minute you know this Pyun film is a stinker, but I watch over and over and over, savoring it's noxious fumes.)

There are so many more.  They're bad, I know it, but I like them anyway.  And most of the world just can't comprehend it.

That is my definition of a bad movie.
FLANGEPART
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2001, 12:25:01 PM »

Can't get a better explination then that. Neat and to the point. I would keep in mind the subjectivity inherant in the enjoyment of bad films. Never let some one else opinion bug you. Andrew K hates MST3K, but thats cool. As long as you arn't forced to watch it at gunpoint, what the hey? I dig the show, and most of us like the show, because it suits our ..oh...peculair sense of humor. For proof of that...read this site! Other then that have fun, and reread Mofo's posting.
porky pig jr
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2001, 07:58:16 PM »

I would say, as a minimum a good movie is a well-crafted one whereas a bad movie seems falling to pieces. Ed Wood's movies are probably the perfect examples of bad movies - in every respect. In a sense they are perfect (ly) bad movies. Of course well-crafted movie doesn't make a great one. It is a necessary but not a sufficient condition. People go to see his movies mostly to laugh at his ineptness.

Few of b-movies but well-crafted movies (my personal opinion) are Faster p***ycat, and Female Troubles. It is a very well made, good action through, a great fun to watch. These are not great work of arts, but I wouldn't call them bad movies either. Night of a Leaving Death is a really well-crafted movie. Probalby one of the greatest B-movies.
Warren H.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2001, 09:01:21 PM »

There are a few things that make a movie bad
1) Technical Ineptitude - Bad lighting, bad sets, bad photography, bad sound, etc.
2) Talent Ineptitude - Bad writing & acting; possibly direction if shooting for high art and failing
  These two shortcomings can easily be overlooked unless there is also
3) No enjoyment factor - The movie cannot be enjoyed in any way by anyone.  It has no artistic merit for the fun impaired and no fun to be had for the artistically challenged.  An utter bomb in all senses of the word.

A truly bad movie combines all three of the above, making it unwatchable (literally, if the lighting is bad enough), incomprehensible (literally, if the acting is bad enough), and downright boring.  And being boring is the only bad thing a movie can really do, isn't it?
Andrew K
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2001, 10:53:07 PM »

Well, my problem with MST3K is (sticking to this topic) is that so may people think that being on the show is ENOUGH to make a movie a bad movie. A lot of good movies (such as  This Island Earth) are now "bad" in the eyes of many just because they appeared on the show (never mind that not only do you have to hear all those smartarse remarks, but the movies are usually badly cut). If The Bicycle Thief appeared on the show, people would think it's a bad movie.  A good number of movies on the show were indeed among the worst ever (for starters, there's Monster A-Go-Go, Beast of Yucca Flats, The Creeping Terror, King Dinosaur, Hobgoblins, Werewolf, The Wild Wild World of Batwoman, Robot Monster,  The Eye Creatures, Bride of the Monster, and, of course, Manos). But there are much, much worse films out there which I have seen-Frankenstein's Daughter, Missile to the Moon, The Giant Claw, Reptilicus, The Cyclops, Phantom from 10,000 Leagues, Murder by Television, Zontar-the Thing from Venus, Night Fright, anything by Andy Milligan or Al Adamson. And then there's movies I haven't seen, which are supposed to be even worse-Maniac, Devil Monster, The Irish Gringo, Range Riders, Bad Girls Do Cry, The Incredible Petrified World, The Gore-Gore Girls, etc.  For me a movie has to be more than just ineptly made-it has to be insult my intelligence to the point where I am infuriated with the filmmakers 's contempt for their audience. Of course, that doesn't leave me with many movies to like...
flangepart
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2001, 01:44:49 PM »

Don't forget ,Chief, the show was cancelled before they had a chance at the real stinkers, and they coulden't always get rights to all the flicks they wanted. Add to that, they were only following their own tastes, and its easier to live with. I like Gorgo, and This island Earth  as they are. I just also see the Comic possabilites in the material. I'd love for the guys to get hold of Reptilicus, Giant Claw, Zontar-Thing from Venus....a remake of you-know-what(For god knows why!)...sadly, it was not to be. Oh well. Guess it up to us now....hehehe.:)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What makes a movie, a bad movie?? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.