Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:29:37 AM
714313 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My weekend movie marathon « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My weekend movie marathon  (Read 2194 times)
Will
« on: June 18, 2002, 02:00:05 PM »

Ok, here goes:

Trancers: It's a guilty pleasure, that Tim Thomerson. Plus it's funny to see Helen Hunt all excited about a real acting job in her VideoZone interviews. 3 slimes.

Trancers II: Return of Jack Deth: More of the same, but more. 2 1/2 slimes.

Trancers III: Jack Deth Lives: More of the same, but with the guy from Dirty Harry and Hellraiser. He even says "Come to Daddy...." oooooo 3 slimes.

Trancers IV: Jack of Swords: Hmmm...maybe I'll leave Trancers V alone....1 1/2 slimes. Overall, the series made me miss Full Moon, though. What happened? They used to kick Troma's ass! Now they do.....zip.

Chillers: Anthology film by a local (for me) filmmaker named Danny Boyd. Ultra low budget student film....but I liked it because a friend of mine is an extra. 2 slimes.

Shock: One of Mario Bava's best. Genuine chills, plus bad dubbing and Daria Nicolodi's ass! Makes me want to watch some Asia Argento movies.... 3 1/2 slimes

Outlaw of Gor: f**king SKULL. Where's Ator when you need a REAL hero? Jack Palance was better in The Sword and the Sorcerer. I mean, Hawk the Slayer. I mean, Cops and Robbersons.

Bloodsucking Nazi Zombies: Jess Franco. Great titles, horrid messes of movies. The dubbing and idiocy alone make it a fun watch for me though. 1 1/2 slimes.

Deep Rising: Heard George Romero gave it thumbs up so I checked it out. Has some ok action-comedy moments. Famke Jannsen is hot. Treat Williams is Treat Williams. 2 slimes

Exorcist III: Much better than I had heard. A few genuine chills, along with George C. Scott's good acting. You even hear Brad Dourif refer to something as "Child's play." Ha. 2 1/2 slimes.

Weekend Warriors: This is the worst of the 80s "ne'er do wells in the army" comedies. Absolutely terrible, but you do see the genesis of Lloyd Bridges' clueless captain in Hot Shots. As if that makes it more bearable. SKULL
Steven Millan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 07:17:39 PM »

Sounds like some good flicks you've got there,Will.
           Tom Simmons,the guy at Video Junkie,is a massively huge Tim Thomerson fan,just to share that fact with you.
            I also agree with your statements about Full Moon,about them having badly,badly slipped,since Tempe Video hackmeister general J.R. Bookwalter took over the company practically(without Charles Band even knowing it).    And,the upcoming "Trancers 6" won't be much without Tim Thomerson being in it(since a woman will part Jack Deth,and I'm sure that Bookwalter wanted to save the $$ when it came to casting).
               As for the other...
       * "Weekend Warriors","Outlaw Of Gor": glad I never,never  saw them.
       * "Deep Rising" :despite the mucho cool Lucio Fulci-inspired half eaten,but still alive victim,the rest of this is just another dopey entry onto Treat Williams' current "doing this just to eat" resume.
       * "Exorcist 3": okay sequel,has it moments(the priest ripped in length-wise half),but Brad Dourif's chilling performance really rips the roof clean off,and is the film's true staying power.
        * "Shock"("Beyond The Door 2"):anything by Mario Bava rules!!!
sm
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2002, 10:50:03 PM »

On "Exorcist III", I'm a fan. It has some cheesy acting, but Exorcist 2 sucked a**. This one had really good camerawork and effects. Very freaky, the scene where George C. Scott falls backward with the nurse on him reminded me of the type of camera trick I saw in "The Omen" with the mother falling from the banister. ANd you know the one scene that always creeps me out is the nurse walking in each room and you keep expecting the cliche scream and her getting killed..but then as she walks off to the right you see the shape glide from the left of the screen with that giant wicked..what was that..really sharp hedgeclippers? lol  Well anyhow, the storyline may not have been as interesting as some of the cinematography. I think the movie can only be appreciated if it's seperated from being associated to the original - because it's a completely different feel.

Btw, I was just thinking about "Prince of Darkness". Anyone else a fan of this flick? It could be seen as just cheesy 80's but there's something more to it that always made it appealing, I don't think I could put my finger on it tho.
Flangepart
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 10:50:21 AM »

Outlaw of Gor : Diden't mst3k do that one? Jack Palance, buffalo shots, "Toobular Boobular", And a "Comic side kick " as annoying as a grown up Kenny? (Shudder).
jmc
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 12:26:03 PM »

A lot of horror fans hold "Prince of Darkness" in pretty high esteem.  I thought it was a little slow, but not a bad movie, certainly better than a lot of Carpenter's later output.  

I know Exorcist II is a terrible, terrible movie, but it never fails to make me laugh.
sm
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2002, 12:40:06 PM »

Have you noticed how few modern horror films really deliver that same quality that many 70's films did? Granted the 70's produced ALOT of really really bad flicks, but in that crop of horror films especially they managed to put out a few with a certain feel to it. A feel of realism (ie: characters that didn't feel hollywood but regular everyday people, gangly and didn't always look glamorous) The ones i'm thinking of are flicks like "Exorcist", "Amityvillie", "The Omen" which used very creepy scores. Even "The Shining" (which it's sound effects during some scenes was pretty much pounding drums and a scrape on metal sound) I have no idea why but these primal sounding scores often made the film scarier. Tho "The Omen" was more of "Damien! Ohhhh! "..lol

But I'm even a fan of stuff like "Suspiria" that goes off the beaten path. Sure it had bad quality acting but something about the visual style and the ..once again..weird score worked for me.

"The Sixth Sense" came close to the old style. But the real art of making a good horror flick is all but gone, mostly because the 80's series of really bad sequels and campy gore killed the horror genre once and for all. IT resurfaced briefly and is trying to make a comeback. But today's horrors aren't much different than the way the 80's had them, except now maybe the teens kick some butt and some rock soundtrack is added.

"Excoricst 2" is so boring for me I can't ever stay awake long enough to laugh. Everytime they put her under that blinking hypnosis I think I go to sleep too..lol
john
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2002, 02:21:17 AM »

>Trancers II: Return of Jack Deth: More of the same, but more. 2 1/2 slimes.

I liked that they got all the same actors back. Even the girl playing McNulty is the same one as in the first movie.

>Trancers IV: Jack of Swords: Hmmm...maybe I'll leave Trancers V alone

But 4 & 5 are basically all one movie.

>And,the upcoming "Trancers 6" won't be much without Tim Thomerson

No Tim Thomerson??? You can't have a Trancers movie without Jack Deth!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  My weekend movie marathon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.