Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:52:17 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  One fine Shakespeare adaption « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One fine Shakespeare adaption  (Read 3090 times)
Mofo Rising
« on: April 08, 2001, 12:49:31 AM »

You know, every once in a while you get sick of insipid bad movies (well, not really, but bear with me).  Every once in a while you need to see something based on High Art.  You need to watch something literary.

It is for this reason that I once again threw in STRANGE BREW.  Make no mistake, this is movie is firmly based in Shakespeare's HAMLET.

Look, you've got Pam Elsinore (Hamlet) who's father has just died.  She is due to inherit the Elsinore Brewery, but her father's brother has just married her mother in an attempt to take over the Brewery.  Thrown into this heady literary mix we have Bob and Doug McKenzie, a modern day Rosencrantz & Guildenstern.  It is in fair Canada, where we lay our scene.

Of course, I guess this would make that hockey player Ophelia, and where exactly do the armys of hockey-attired lunatics fit into the original play?  Okay, so maybe the whole thing breaks down in later scenes, but make no mistake, this is high drama!

Hoser.
Scott
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2001, 07:46:54 AM »

Did you ever see "McBeth" starring Orson Welles................................................... Great atmoshere. ....................... but seriously I could hardly sit thru STRANGE BREW when it first came out and I was a serious SCTV fan. Maybe I should see it again Mofo?

Dos anyone know if the old SCTV show can be found on video or dvd?
Brother Ragnarok
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2001, 01:39:53 PM »

Episodes of SCTV have recently been run on NBC right after Late Night with Conan O'Brien.  Check it out.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2001, 03:40:11 PM »

If you didn't like STRANGE BREW the first time, a second viewing may not be what you're looking for.  I was drunk when I rewatched it, but that's pretty much a must for STRANGE BREW.

The movie's pretty dopey, and it doesn't really aspire to anything else.  I still think it's funny they ripped from HAMLET.
flangepart
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2001, 01:59:36 PM »

Got to pop a top of Killian's Red for that. Strange Brew wet my wistle. Weird, and not  ashamed to show it. That and "greasy, pork filled German hamlet" as seen on MST3K. "to be, ot not to be.."  Mike" The verbal equivilant to DuhDuhDuhDuhhhh"....As for Real Hamlet, Give me Mel Gibson for the classic Interpitation, and Bragah for the Slight time shift he did to the story. From Beer and Pizza, to Wine and Cheese, theres a Hamlet for everyone!
Trilobite
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2001, 03:49:13 PM »

I actually liked it much more on the second viewing. It's more amusing than actually funny, but that's not a bad thing at all.
If you want a good and twisted adaptation of a Shakespeare play, check out Tromeo and Juliet.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  One fine Shakespeare adaption « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.