Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:17:04 PM
714316 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla Movies Suck!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Godzilla Movies Suck!!!  (Read 12107 times)
chaoszilla
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2002, 02:04:18 PM »

Actually, the Japanese mostly hated the film.  Gojira tai Mosuera actually did better than GINO ever did in Japan.  It was popular but never as popular as Gojira tai Destroyah or Gojira tai Mosuera.  I remember there were protests when I lived in Nagoya, claiming that this was a disgrace to Nippon(Japan if you don't know) and such.  People only like some of the spfx, but as the rest of the film, many people hated it, only a few people in fact liked it.  Plot wise it was awful and your "bold new direction" is an insult to my country.  Do Americans take Japanese as jokes?!
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2002, 02:15:43 PM »

> It is *the* defining aspect of his character

I would say that being several hundred feet tall is the defining aspect :)
Squishy
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2002, 08:31:50 PM »

When Godzilla-Mothra-King Ghidora: Dai-kaiju Soukougeki  hits video (and subsequently, foreign shores), this silly controversy will be laid to rest and Deanzilla will be forgotten.

I remember seeing Godzilla 1985  in the theatre. Many of us may consider it sub-par today--especially the "Raymond Burr-Dr. Pepper" version--but I'll never forget looking down the row as I got up at the end, and seeing a young kid gazing at the screen in awe. It had knocked his socks off so hard he was actually watching the complete end credits.

I enjoy sharing information and opinions here, but if someone doesn't like what I like, it's hardly a big deal. Tommy can watch Deanzilla until he's completely sick of it; I'll watch the REAL Godzilla movies. There's one for every mood, now.

Meanwhile, Roland and Dean are reduced to ripping off stuff like The Giant Spider Invasion  with "actors" like David Arquette. They coasted for quite a while stealing from everything in sight, but soon they'll be joining Brian DePalma parking cars for Hollywood's more creative people.
Drezzy
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2002, 09:29:24 PM »

chaoszilla wrote:
>
> Do Americans take Japanese as jokes?!

Let's pray you never watch a World Wrestling Entertainment show with Tajiri on it from 2001...
Joe John
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2002, 12:03:50 AM »

Hey look everybody, its a Godzilla fanboy in denial!!

Listen up, Steve-o:

*Tri-Star's "Godzilla" brought good acting, an interesting plot, good action, good special effects, and everything else that the Japanese movies lack. This was something that had been lacking since the 50's.

*NOT Every Japanese "Godzilla" movie rules. "Son of Godzilla", "Godzilla's Revenge", "Godzilla vs. Megalon", and "Godzilla 2000" were all trash. "Godzilla X Megaguirus" was pretty horrid as well. The Godzilla movies have gone downhill. The only sign of a step forward was the recent GMK, but now it seems with Godzilla X Mechagodzilla, Toho is taking a step BACKWARD.

*Perhaps everyone sees Godzilla's movies to see what frightening and cool monster he fights this time around, but that's because that's all there is to watch. No interesting plot. No good acting. Toho should spend time on their movies instead of cranking out peices of crap that you fanboys will see just because they slap the name Godzilla on it.

*I can see that you must be a "big fan" since you'll make such ridiculous comments in order to defend your beloved Godzilla.

*Godzilla movies should be fun and kickass, but at the same time they DO need to develop charcters, among other things.

And you are in no position to accuse people of whining when you make comments such as "Tri-Star Pictures' "Godzilla" Sucks Big Time,in a
Major League way!!!!!"

As I said at the beginning of my post, you're a Godzilla fanboy in denial of the truth.

Steven Millan wrote:
>
>                     Hey,Tommy,listen up---
>           * Tri-Star Pictures' "Godzilla" Sucks Big Time,in a
> Major League way!!!!!
>           * EVERY Japanese  "Godzilla" movie rules---Period!!!
>           * "Godzilla" is the Hulk Hogan of movie
> monsters,since everyone sees all of his movies just to what
> kind of a frightening,but cool looking monster that he
> heavily fights
>           * You claim you're a big Godzilla fan,but yet
> criticize nearly every one of his movies--and you like the
> ultra-s**tty Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin destruction of the
> Godzilla myth?!? : you ain't no big fan!!!
>            * "Godzilla" movie are NOT about further
> developement,or exploration of charcters(whether human or
> monster);they are kickass,good old fashioned movies to sit
> back,drink a beer,and have mindless fun with!
>                 So,to put it more bluntly:quit whining like a
> sissy jabroni,and accept the movies for what they are,or
> don't bother watching them at all(especially if you demand
> character exploration,and developement)!!!!
>           We REAL "Godzilla"  fans love them endearingly for
> what they are.
>              The End.
Cullen
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2002, 12:41:11 AM »

Joe John wrote:

"Tri-Star's "Godzilla" brought good acting, an interesting plot, good action, good special effects, and everything else that the Japanese movies lack. This was something that had been lacking since the 50's."

Look, I defended Godzilla '98 earlier, but that's going far too far.  The acting, action, and F/X okay, at best, but interesting plot?  Are you nuts?  The cliches are overbounding, and radiation as a cause of growth is the bunk.

(I know Eight Legged Freaks uses the same idiot device.  I've still got my hopes up for it.)

And I'm not about to ask what "everything else" is.  I pray humor was not a part of it.

Joe John also says:

"'Son of Godzilla', 'Godzilla's Revenge', 'Godzilla vs. Megalon', and 'Godzilla 2000' were all trash."

Calling Son of Godzilla and Godzilla 2000 trash was bad enough, but mentioning them in the same sentence as Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla vs. Megalon is just plain wrong .   Son of Godzilla is director Jun Fukuda's best Godzilla (not that that's saying much), and Godzilla 2000 gave me hope for new Godzillas.  That movie was the best Godzilla film in years.

There.  Got that out my system.
Lee
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2002, 01:40:01 AM »

Tommy, Joe, I'm not gonna waist time on you dumbs**ts. Why you trash cool movies starring the one and only Godzilla, I don't know. How you could not enjoy them, I don't know. But you guys could probably see the movies better if you would remove your heads from your ASSES!!! But like I said, I'm not going to waist time on you idiots, I got better things to do. LIKE WATCHING KICKASS GODZILLA FLICKS!
chaoszilla
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2002, 02:42:32 AM »

Oh what is funny is that GxMG may be better spfx wise than GMK.  Suzuki quit GxMG for personal reasons and Higuchi(gamera 3 spfx guy's)prime student is doing spfx for this film.  I agree that there are bad G films.  But also KONG was technically the inspiration for Godzilla 1954.  Originally it was going to be an irradiated octopus but then they used a dinosaur, becoz of the dinosaurs from KING KONG.  G'98 is beast from 20,000 fathoms not G.  And it's an insult to the Japanese!

> Hey look everybody, its a Godzilla fanboy in denial!!
>
> Listen up, Steve-o:
>
> *Tri-Star's "Godzilla" brought good acting, an interesting
> plot, good action, good special effects, and everything else
> that the Japanese movies lack. This was something that had
> been lacking since the 50's.
>
> *NOT Every Japanese "Godzilla" movie rules. "Son of
> Godzilla", "Godzilla's Revenge", "Godzilla vs. Megalon", and
> "Godzilla 2000" were all trash. "Godzilla X Megaguirus" was
> pretty horrid as well. The Godzilla movies have gone
> downhill. The only sign of a step forward was the recent GMK,
> but now it seems with Godzilla X Mechagodzilla, Toho is
> taking a step BACKWARD.
>
> *Perhaps everyone sees Godzilla's movies to see what
> frightening and cool monster he fights this time around, but
> that's because that's all there is to watch. No interesting
> plot. No good acting. Toho should spend time on their movies
> instead of cranking out peices of crap that you fanboys will
> see just because they slap the name Godzilla on it.
>
> *I can see that you must be a "big fan" since you'll make
> such ridiculous comments in order to defend your beloved
> Godzilla.
>
> *Godzilla movies should be fun and kickass, but at the same
> time they DO need to develop charcters, among other things.
>
> And you are in no position to accuse people of whining when
> you make comments such as "Tri-Star Pictures' "Godzilla"
> Sucks Big Time,in a
> Major League way!!!!!"
>
> As I said at the beginning of my post, you're a Godzilla
> fanboy in denial of the truth.
>
>
>
> Steven Millan wrote:
> >
> >                     Hey,Tommy,listen up---
> >           * Tri-Star Pictures' "Godzilla" Sucks Big Time,in a
> > Major League way!!!!!
> >           * EVERY Japanese  "Godzilla" movie
> rules---Period!!!
> >           * "Godzilla" is the Hulk Hogan of movie
> > monsters,since everyone sees all of his movies just to what
> > kind of a frightening,but cool looking monster that he
> > heavily fights
> >           * You claim you're a big Godzilla fan,but yet
> > criticize nearly every one of his movies--and you like the
> > ultra-s**tty Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin destruction of the
> > Godzilla myth?!? : you ain't no big fan!!!
> >            * "Godzilla" movie are NOT about further
> > developement,or exploration of charcters(whether human or
> > monster);they are kickass,good old fashioned movies to sit
> > back,drink a beer,and have mindless fun with!
> >                 So,to put it more bluntly:quit whining like a
> > sissy jabroni,and accept the movies for what they are,or
> > don't bother watching them at all(especially if you demand
> > character exploration,and developement)!!!!
> >           We REAL "Godzilla"  fans love them endearingly for
> > what they are.
> >              The End.
Steven Millan
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2002, 03:25:36 AM »

Hey,Joe John,
                Your bashing of me is so laughable,that not only am I speechless,but try telling what you told me to both "Long Island Cannibal Massacre" maestro Nathan Schiff(one of the biggest Godzilla fans),and my good buddy Tom Simmons,over at Video Junkie.
                To the others who wrote supporting posts(that bashed back at Joe John),thanks an awful lot for having my back,and telling Joe John just how it really is(Godzilla-wise).
                 As for being a "fanboy"(I'm so tired of hearing that word),that's what one part of the internet is for,celebrating your love of anything "fanboy" style.
              And I'm in no denial of enjoying Godzilla:Nathan Schiff strongly feels the same way as I do,and grew up on Godzilla movies as much as I did.  And,by the way,an awful lot of people I know hate Roland Emmerich/Dean Devlin/Tri-Star's "Godzilla" movie,and I'm not whining when I say that. And next time someone makes another big studio Godzilla film,let it be either Paul Verhoeven or Peter Jackson that makes that film,for they would add the character development,further exploration of Godzilla,and artistic intelligence that the Big G would really need(as you and Tommy want to endearingly see.Maybe that would make a Godzilla movie much more interesting).
                  Hasta La Vista, Double J.!!!!
Luke Bannon
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2002, 05:16:49 AM »

I still like Godzilla movies. True, they can be accussed of being predictable, but all I watch them for is a guy in a rubber suit kicking the crap outta models of cities, fighting other guys in suits and puppets and stomping on toy tanks and toy aeroplanes. I think I got my interest in Godzilla when I was still in the womb as my mother said when she was pregnant with me a channel showed Godzilla movies every night and she stayed up to watch them!
Flangepart
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2002, 11:57:33 AM »

Realy? Luckey you. My mom always wondered what was wrong with me........she still does....not that i blaim her,,,,,,,,,,,,,
NCE
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2002, 11:01:28 AM »

> Oh what is funny is that GxMG may be better spfx wise than
> GMK.  Suzuki quit GxMG for personal reasons and
> Higuchi(gamera 3 spfx guy's)prime student is doing spfx for
> this film.  

Suzuki did not quit. He was not asked back.
GMK's Kamiya was Higuchi's prime student.

Where do you get your information?

NCE
chaoszilla
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2002, 01:35:26 PM »

ryu from MZ said so.  he's an insider.  and it was posted that suzuki was going to do effects, but in middle of production he quit.NCE wrote:
>
> > Oh what is funny is that GxMG may be better spfx wise than
> > GMK.  Suzuki quit GxMG for personal reasons and
> > Higuchi(gamera 3 spfx guy's)prime student is doing spfx for
> > this film.  
>
> Suzuki did not quit. He was not asked back.
> GMK's Kamiya was Higuchi's prime student.
>
> Where do you get your information?
>
> NCE
NCE
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2002, 08:47:51 AM »

Who is Ryu? I'm at Toho everyday and I don't know anyone named Ryu. As for Suzuki, he was never announced as FX director on GxMG. It has been Kikuchi since day one.

Norman England
Anonymous User
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2002, 01:51:03 AM »

I agree with those who say G98 was an OK giant lizard movie, but not a Godzilla movie. It needed three things, IMHO, to make it worthy of the Godzilla name:

1) Radioactive fire-breath.

2) Invulnerability (No running from small-arms fire or being killed by a few missiles.)

3) Prehistoric roots (Godzilla is a mutated dinosaur, not a modern lizard.)

The lack of these is why the movie is called Godzilla In Name Only, or GINO.

I want to emphasize that I am NOT of the "Godzilla must be played by someone in a rubber suit" school of thought. I was excited when I learned that they were going to do a Godzilla movie in CGI. Done right, it would have been spectacular. (Just imagine the scene from G2000 where he is hit with the armor-piercing missiles done in CGI, showing huge wounds being torn in his flesh. Then they heal right before our eyes like Wolverine's forehead in X-Men.) I had no real problem with the design either.

If they do a sequel, they should mutate the hatchling into a more powerful creature, possessing at least the first two of the three attributes I listed above. One way to do that is put him in a situation where he is exposed to more radiation.

Too bad they didn't go with the original 1993 script by Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio. That would have been a dynamite movie! It can be accessed at
www. rodansroost.com  specifically in the "Kaiju Scrap Yard" section.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Godzilla Movies Suck!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.