Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:23:22 PM
714379 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Black Hawk Down surprised me. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black Hawk Down surprised me.  (Read 2336 times)
Akira Tubo
« on: July 16, 2002, 03:56:47 PM »

Being a war movie directed by Ridley Scott, I thought it would be arty and self-important.

Hell no!

It's nasty and gritty, with small artistic touches only where they're inobtrusive.  The only thing that might be wrong with it is it's too intense, too relentless.  I had to take several breaks while watching it.  But that only means Scott and co. did their job.

I'm impressed.
Lee
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 07:04:58 PM »

I agree Tubo. BHD is one heck of a movie. Really well done. Here's what I'm trying to figure out. How does Josh Hartnet go from doing an amazing movie like this to something like 40 days and 40 nights?
Neville
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 06:17:16 AM »

While I have defended this movie several times in this phorum, I have to say it doesn't look that intense too me. Actually, I found that Ridley's mistake is to apply a documental feel to the movie, and this kinda reduces  the dramatism, at least for me.

On the other hand, I agree: Ridley Scott work here is impressive. I can't erase from my mind the last minutes of fighting, with those soldiers running after the UN vehicles and the inmediate contrast of them being welcomed at the stadium.
J.R.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 07:31:10 AM »

I saw it in the theater so I couldn't take breaks. I loved the intensity. It was directed and edited (Oscar winning, BTW) so well that even when things get super intense you sill know what's going on.
nick
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 01:10:14 PM »

I don't if you guys have read the book but after reading it i didn't think it was possible to make a movie of. it's quite hard to follow with everything going off everywhere but the movie really does it justice.

on a completely unrelated point (sorry) how come there isn't review of cannibal holocaust (or have i missed it) and does anyone remember what that stephen king film was called about the comic book stories with leslie neilsen in?

anyway black hawk down is excellent.

NICK
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 04:34:11 PM »

Actually, it is a George Romero film with Stephen King serving the scriptwriter chore. The film with Leslie Nielson you are thinking of is CREEPSHOW, a film about 5 stories in a comic book.
nick
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 04:42:37 PM »

thanks chris, i really need to watch it again :-), there was a sequel too wasn't there? with a raft trip or something as one of the stories, never seen the 2nd one but told it was good.

NICK
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 05:11:17 PM »

There is a reader review, written by Cody, for the first Creepshow:
http://www.badmovies.org/othermovies/creepshow/index.html

"The Raft," the mentioned short from the second movie, is plain awesome.  It makes for an excellent short film.  I wish that we could see more movies like "Creepshow" and its sequel.

"I beat you!  I beat you!  Oh HECK!"

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
John
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2002, 12:31:48 AM »

>I wish that we could see more movies like "Creepshow" and its sequel.

If you're referring to anthology movies in general, SFC is playing one this Sat. called Shadow Realm, with Malcom McDowell and Thora Birch.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Black Hawk Down surprised me. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.