Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:21:22 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Barbarian Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Barbarian Movies  (Read 43929 times)
Gerry
« on: April 11, 2001, 05:20:55 PM »

What's your favorite barbarian/swordnsorcery b-movie and why:

Could it be one of the Deathstalker movies?
Barbarian Queen?
The Sword and the Sorceror?
Beastmaster?
Red Sonya?
The Warrior and the Sorceress?
Ator?
Hearts and Armor?
The Long Swift Sword of Siegfried?
Abby
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2001, 07:06:36 PM »

Hawk The Slayer is classic ... I genuinely loved it as a kid, so it's still hard for me to diss. My VHS tape recently broke, which was devastating. Jack Palance. Need I say more?

I still love first and third Beastmasters. The first Beastmaster was among the first movies I ever purchased ... that and Spinal Tap. So it's near and dear to my heart.

I also have a soft-spot for Conan the Destroyer. Grace Jones cinches it for me ... Grace on love: "You TAKE him!!!" Grace kills me.

And oh ... what's the name of the flick with the twin barbarian dudes ... and the bad guy who looks like Gene Simmons on a bad day? It had a Road Warrior feel to it ... I watched it a zillion times on cable when I was in college, but I can't remember the name now.
Scott
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2001, 09:15:25 PM »

I know that this is cheating, but CONAN THE BARBARIAN is the best movie period. It can stand up to all genre's of filmmaking (not conan the destroyer).
Scott
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2001, 09:26:08 PM »

I've just read Abby's coment on Grace Jones(wish she would do more). She is without a doubt the only redeeming element in Destroyer. She is great. The original Conan is the only good film though (my opinion)
Mofo Rising
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2001, 12:28:31 AM »

I haven't really seen too many, so I'm going to have to go with the original BEASTMASTER, which is a childhood favorite.  I went back and watched it recently, and thought it held up relatively well.
Flangepart
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2001, 01:01:29 PM »

If you mean an effective one, i guess Conan the Barbarian. Still leaves room for riffing, yet has its moments. Conan's main squeese in that film,btw, was one believable warrior woman. Next best W-M to Xena. By that i mean she looks genuienly tough and focused enough to be realy dangerious. Think about how many "W-M's"...no, not Women Marines,Andrew, i know better...Think about how few of these chicks look as if they could pull it off. Since real world women are about 40% weaker in upper body muscle mass compared to a same size male, you can see how hard it would be to do, from a purely praticle point of view. Still, approprite tactics and training could do much to compensate for this. What say you, Andrew?
Will
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2001, 04:30:11 PM »

I love Hawk the Slayer....in fact, Abby, if you e-mail me a snail mail addy I'll send you a dub of it.

I'm also a big fan of Deathstalker II.  Jim Wynorski's best work, in my opinion.  Hilarious music, outtakes, and dialogue.  5 slimes
Gerry
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2001, 05:41:39 PM »

Sandahl Bergman who played Valeria in Conan the Barbarian was a classically trained dancer which explains her magnificent physique.  Before Conan she was in All That Jazz.  And upper body musculature isn't the most important thing in her style of fighting; it's all about agility and finesse.  Conan wouldn't have been the same movie without her.  Compare it to the other Ah-nold barbarian flick, Red Sonya, with it's less believable heroine.

Oooo, and don't forget about the red headed chick in Willow.  She was hot and pretty tough too.  But Sandahl could still kick her ass with her eyes closed.
Andrew
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2001, 06:43:13 PM »

Abby, you are thinking of "The Barbarians."  Funny you should mention this one; I'm going to start working on a review for it in the near future.  Expect it sometime in May.  Probably late May, but May.

Andrew
Andrew
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2001, 07:03:29 PM »

Sandahl Bergman does a fantastic job in "Conan the Barbarian" as a female warrior.  She is probably going to be my favorite as well.  The woman from "Willow" fit well, but we really didn't see her fight a whole lot.

Check out Sybil Danning, she is fairly imposing as a gladitor in "Seven Magnificient Gladiators."

I'm really looking forward to seeing Liv Tyler as Arwen in "Lord of the Rings."

Andrew
Gerry
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2001, 12:42:20 PM »

I think Liv Tyler might work if they only let her speak in Elvish and subtitle her.  In fact, dub her.  For some reason that broad's voice just grates on me like moldy cheese.  She is the =only= thing about LOTR that I am not looking forward to.  I'm just hoping against hope that Peter Jackson can salvage her performance in the editing room.  I have faith in you Peter, don't disappoint me!!!!
jackson
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:36 AM »

Hi i just want to ask if any of you guys know the title of the movie that was set on a barbarian type and with a competition and the champion has a pig head more like a bore.  thanks
Classic Camp
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

I like the Steve Reeves Hercules movies best, personally. I think Reeves fit the image of Hercules best, and wasn't a bad actor to boot.

BTW, nice to see you stopping by once in a while, Gerry!

"To a new world of Gods and Monters!"
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »

Jackson that might have been one of the Death Stalker movies. i can't remember which one.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »

Hi i just want to ask if any of you guys know the title of the movie that was set on a barbarian type and with a competition and the champion has a pig head more like a bore.  thanks

BTW, nice to see you stopping by once in a while, Gerry!

This post is one that Jackson resurrected from the 2001 archives.  I would say that he is probably looking for the first "Deathstalker" movie.  A review:

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/deathstalker/

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Barbarian Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.