Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:35:40 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When movies become too violent « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: When movies become too violent  (Read 13884 times)
No Nukes, The Satanic Pikachu
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2002, 01:49:53 PM »

Violence in movies is OK, and gore's always a plus. Don't get me wrong. But sometimes  people don't always like some parts of movies because they have an unpleasant association with them. For instance, I still can't watch "Indendence Day". No way. You can't make me. Uh-uh. Never in a million years. My aunt had a job in in Tower 2 and only survived because she showed up 3 minutes late for work. She had just gotten inside when the first plane hit and he just stared up at it. Then the second plane it and she ran for her life. She made it out alive, but I'm never going to watch that goddamn movie again as long as I live. Brrrrrr.
John
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2002, 01:17:01 AM »

>. But given the west produces the most amount of films, you have lots of people
>living here who figure it attributes to the violence in our society

I have a theory that parents contribute to this by inisting that anything kids watch has to have, at worst, 'cartoon' violence. Take the Power Rangers for example; lots of fighting, weapons, things blowing up, but not one of them ever gets hurt. Even the bad guys don't get killed. Kids watch it and it makes fighting look safe. Then the parents act surprised when the kids try to copy it. Same thing with shows where nobody ever gets shot or it's just a 'flesh wound'. Maybe if the kids watched a show where someone was playing with a gun and then it showed a little kid get their brains splattered against the wall, they wouldn't be so eager to play with real guns.

>Your kids can sue you for a spanking...lol.

Yup. Now anything a kid dislikes is considered a cruel punishment. Gee, and I thought the whole point was that punishments were SUPPOSED to be unpleasant enough for the kid to never want to repeat it. Look where the non-spanking attitude has gotten us...

>Sounds hokey but I think if they never showed a single school shooting on tv it
>wouldn't have encouraged more kids to "copycat".

Possibly. I also happen to think that, for the most part, they have the cause & effect relationship of media and violence backwards. I don't think the media makes people violent so much as people with violent tendancies like to watch violence. I grew up watching the so-called violent cartoons (Bugs, Road Runner etc), horror movies, cop shows and I haven't killed anyone... Yet. :)

>dozen films in which a half dozen or more children were killed.

There's also the remake of The Blob where one kid gets eaten in the sewers. And of course The Children where the kids not only kill others, they themselves get killed.

>(so I wasn't not THAT disturbed by Spielberg's E.T. tinkering or Carpenter's
>AoP13 commentary that, if he made the movie today, he would not kile the girl)

That kind of thing bugs me. Today's mainstream society has become too obsessed with being 'PC'. Look at the special edition of Star Wars, Lucas couldn't just leave the cantini scene the way it was, he had to have Greedo try to shoot Solo. True, that's what he was planning all along, but he didn't get the chance in the original. It might be PC to wait until the bad guy shoots first, but that can often get you killed (unless you're the star of the movie). I've noticed lots of little PC touches in movies and TV shows;

There's a member of the bad guy's gang who has no fighting ability and so has no chance against the hero. Killing them would make the hero look sadistic, so these characters usually get killed by their own stupidity. Examples; Benny in the Mummy remake, Michael Caine's female assistant in On Deadly Ground.

There's a character who starts out evil, but who has a change of heart and helps the heroes. He can't go free because he's done evil things, but it wouldn't be right to just lock him up because he DID save someone's life. So what do you do? Have him die saving the hero, then there's no messy moral questions to deal with.

All the PC influence in movies makes me sick. Compare Fast Times at Ridgemont High to Clueless (same director), or Animal House to PCU.
Susan
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2002, 02:09:06 AM »

>>Maybe if the kids watched a show where someone was playing with a gun and then it showed a little kid get their brains splattered against the wall, they wouldn't be so eager to play with real guns.<<

I thought you didn't want the kids to watch shows like that? ;-)

>>Gee, and I thought the whole point was that punishments were SUPPOSED to be unpleasant enough for the kid to never want to repeat it. Look where the non-spanking attitude has gotten us...<<

Yeah< i'm all for occasional and rare spanking. I was probably spanked twice but my mother could whip up an "evil eye" that made you run the minute she gave it to you. Now kids have no bounderies so all hell's broke loose and parents have given them too much control and decision-making at an early age. So they decide to scream their head off at wal-mart till mom buys them a toy to shut them up. When I was a kid we never even knew there was a toy section in the store..it was some rumor..because we only ever got stuff on birthdays and christmas..but i digress

>>There's also the remake of The Blob where one kid gets eaten in the sewers. And of course The Children where the kids not only kill others, they themselves get killed.<,

not many horror movies will go that far these days - but "Mimic" had some kids get it by the bugs. Woulda been pointless if the bugs found the kids and went against their own nature and freed them, just to be PC. I don't want to see kids getting the axe in films but..it is a film and what else is a bug gonna do? Be friends with them?

John
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2002, 03:31:26 AM »

>Yeah< i'm all for occasional and rare spanking. I was probably spanked twice

I never got formal spankings, but when mad my father was known to grab me and whack my butt a few times. A spur of the moment kind of thing.

>decide to scream their head off at wal-mart till mom buys them a toy to shut them

My mother's friend's son was like that. I remember we were in one store and the kid was screaming his head off until his mother agree to buy him a toy, a cheap plastic train set. He opened it and had the pieces all over and then screamed even louder when she wanted to put it back in the box to pay for it. Now he's like 20 and has a daughter by his ex-girfriend.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2002, 12:04:19 PM »

Chadzilla and John are perceptive enough to pick out some of the most disturbingly, violent films, which I'll expand on.
"Jaws": I think Spielberg was a better director earlier in his career, when he was less PC, then he is now, when he has become more PC,
"Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" It is not only that death of a child that is disturbing, but the whole portrayal of violence in the film, which is probably one of the most realistic portrayals of violence ever seen in a film. That, and there is no justice at the end of the film. Henry is left to continue to kill until he's caught. Which is probably true to life, but rare to see in a film. That, and a standout performance by Rooker as Henry.
"The Children" Haven't seen it. Can't comment on it.
"The Blob" There again it is not only the death of the child in the sewer, it is the whole
gratuitous nature of that scene and most of the other violence in the film, whichi is disturbing. At least in relation to the original, which had a much smaller body count, but, was just as effective.
"Assault on Precinct 13." There again it is not only the death of the child that is disturbing, It is the way that Carpenter plays with the expectations of the audience. Just when you expect a character to survive, the character is killed.
And if I may add one . . .
"Fargo" With few exceptions death is never funny in a film, and the death of a child is never funny. But, here you not only have a death of a child at the beginning of a film, but a great number of other deaths, which are suppose to be humorous,
Susan
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2002, 12:42:46 PM »

>> never got formal spankings, but when mad my father was known to grab me and whack my butt a few times. A spur of the moment kind of thing.<<

I could sense it was coming and run and hide. Tho once in public I remember I acted out (yeah..just once!) and instead of leaving the store right then and there (or buying me a present to keep me sedated like most parents now do) My mother let out the dreaded 11 words:

"You just wait till we get to the car young lady"

So the next hour or so was terrifying..lol. I got a pop on the behind and that was that. I just learned that you can't push your parents around, that I was a child and they were the parent and I couldn't do whatever the hell I felt like. I'm not traumatized by it and I am not an abuser like everybody on tv claims happens. In fact I helped raise my godson the first 2 years of his life and around his mother he was a complete screaming mess of a misbehaved child since she had no bounderiess but in my care he was so well behaved, helpful, nice. I never spanked him. I just taught him right from wrong. I think there's a fine line between the occasional spanking and just doing it ALL THE TIME as punishment...then it becomes non-effective. (just like the parent who screams all the time just to hear themself scream)

John
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2002, 06:22:13 PM »

>"The Children" Haven't seen it. Can't comment on it.

Bus full of school kids (most all the kids in the town) passes through a radioactive/poison cloud and go missing. The kids turn up later one at a time as little zombies with black fingernails. They hold their arms out to adults and when they hug them, the adults get roasted. The only way to kill them is to chop off their hands.

>So the next hour or so was terrifying..lol. I got a pop on the behind and that was

Hehe. :)

>that. I just learned that you can't push your parents around, that I was a child and
>they were the parent and I couldn't do whatever the hell I felt like. I'm not
>traumatized by it and I am not an abuser like everybody on tv claims happens. In

Neither am I, although I haven't really don't any babysitting. My mother's friend's son used to stay with me some times when they'd go out, but he was older by then and we'd spend the time playing video games.

>fact I helped raise my godson the first 2 years of his life and around his mother
>he was a complete screaming mess of a misbehaved child since she had no
>bounderiess but in my care he was so well behaved, helpful, nice. I never

The son was like that. My mother used to babysit him and at the start she spanked him a couple times, then he learned that he wasn't going to get away with the same kind of stuff that he could pull on his mother. With her, he'd scream his head off, and she'd scream at him.
Susan
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2002, 06:32:32 PM »

All this talk of parental punishment reminds me of "Bill Cosby as himself" - the routine of the kids misbehaving and his wife screaming at teh ceiling "All right up there". Then he knew she had had enough when she screamed "I have had enough..let the beatings begin" - and the kids had the nerve to look suprised. ;-)
I don't believe in the modern way of raising kids with sending them to the corner or buying them food and gifts to keep them quiet, we're putting them on a pedistal so much that giving a child too much control can ..in effect..make a child who is totally out of control. Remember the days of going to bed without supper? Eat whats on your plate or that's all you get? I have a friend who makes her child a seperate meal from the family so he gets what he wants (which is usually pizza, hot dogs or macaroni)

Or "wait till your father gets home"? Since we as kids only got presents twice a year my mother would sometimes throw in the "Santa" factor of being good vs. naughty, tho by age 5 the rumors had spread and we knew santa was a ficticious lie created by the parent machine! Then I saw "silent night deadly night" and began to question the whole concept. An acronym for Satan, he wears a red suit, lives in an isolated place with little minions ..oops...elves. He watches you..ooo..he watches.

Not to mention his favorite thing to say is a female prostitute

but i digress

TC
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2002, 06:45:06 PM »

I remember a little boy getting killed in Robot Monster, a schlock black and white movie.  I was really surprised that a movie that old would kill off a main child character, even offscreen.  

As for children acting up, I work at a Blockbuster Video and witness it everyday.  It's not the children's fault though.  Moms and Dads simply do not discipline.  Well, to be accurate, they aren't even paying attention most of the time.  Appararently, in recent years, parenthood develops some kind of tunnel vision syndrome in Moms and Dads.  Therefore, while the kids generally do things they shouldn't do (knocking over movies, running around the store, running behind the counter where they obviously don't belong) Mom and Dad are in their own little oblivious world.  I fondly remember one incident where a little girl was playing with my scan gun.  I told her she couldn't do that since her Mom was right there next to her and was saying nothing.  She left it alone for a few seconds and continued to play with it after a minute.  I said nothing and came up with a cruel idea.  As I cashed out the woman, I slammed my cash drawer shut loudly, which scared the little girl who was standing next to me at that point and made her jump a foot away.  It's not my job to preach to that children that she shouldn't touch things that don't belong to her.  Oh, and I have not a bigger pet peeve than a mother buying her child a toy, after the child throws a big screaming hissy fit in the store.  I used to be scared of my father as a child, even though he never hit me.  He had a temper though and would yell like a son-of-a-b***h.  I was scared to act up.  And I am a better man now for it.
John
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2002, 07:20:23 PM »

>All this talk of parental punishment reminds me of "Bill Cosby as himself" - the
>routine of the kids misbehaving and his wife screaming at teh ceiling "All right up
>there". Then he knew she had had enough when she screamed "I have had
>enough..let the beatings begin" - and the kids had the nerve to look suprised. ;-)

Hehe. I remember that. :)

>I don't believe in the modern way of raising kids with sending them to the corner
>or buying them food and gifts to keep them quiet, we're putting them on a >pedistal so much that giving a child too much control can ..in effect..make a child

The friend's son's father was a state trooper who spoiled him. At one point he told him "Don't worry, if you get in trouble, I'll take care of it"! Of course when he got in trouble just a couple years ago for (I think) buying pot, daddy had retired and couldn't do anything about it.

> who is totally out of control. Remember the days of going to bed without supper? >Eat whats on your plate or that's all you get? I have a friend who makes her child

I wish my mother had been like that. She'd make stuff that I absolutely hated and make me sit there till I ate it or a couple of hours had passed.
Susan
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2002, 07:27:58 PM »

Eat mush or starve! Worse for me, no lectures about kids in third world countries who were starving since for 3 years we lived in a third world country..lol. Thank god my mother was a good cook

Yeah, about the dad thing. I feared my dad. He was military, never hit us but was stern and expected alot. They have that way of sitting quietly in a chair reading a newspaper and if you are driving on their last nerve, sort of jumping in their chair and shaking the paper open ...it would startle you so much since for a split second you thought they were going to get up and beat the crap out of you..lol. Just their way. Mostly all I ever heard was "You do what your mother says". And the infamous line "Don't make me pull this car over."

Although once..just once..he actually DID!

Lee
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2002, 09:09:41 PM »

I know what you guys mean. My parents are great. They've been great to me and my brother and sister. But, they also let us know they were incharge. My parents have never been abusive but they dish out punishment on the kids when neccassary. About the dinner thing. My parents knew that we needed to eat(not a problem really we love to eat). But they did have a back up plan for when we would complain about a dish, "You don't like it then don't eat it, but don't whine to me about being hungry."

As for the ORIGINAL topic, I rarely have seen movies that were too violent. However, I'm not a big fan of movies that are violent just to be violent. I like violent movies as much as the next guy but don't show a guy getting disembowled just to be doing so. It should fit intothe context of the movie. If you want to make a really gross violent movie, go for it, I'll come see it. Just make sure all this is happening for a reason and not just to be gross and violent(*cough cough*Troma *cough cough*).
glamdrummer
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2002, 11:43:26 PM »

I dont have any problems with violence in movies, but man o man, there is a scean in TRUTH OR DARE that just p**ses me off. A psycho killer runs over a baby carrage,with the baby still in it, on purpose. I find violence against children in real life ,and MOVIES, to be totally distastefull. I dont understand who even wants to see such a thing!
John
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2002, 01:50:51 AM »

>Eat mush or starve! Worse for me, no lectures about kids in third world countries
>who were starving since for 3 years we lived in a third world country..lol. Thank
>god my mother was a good cook

I never understood that; "Eat your food, there are kids starving in other countries". Of course I understand it now; "Be glad you have food, other kids are starving", but at the time I thought, "Great, if they're starving, send them this, then I won't have to eat it!"

What were some of my least favorites? Mashed potatoes (wallpaper paste), asparagus (yucky tasting green mush on pieces of fishing line), broccoli (so-so tasting stuff with pieces of plastic in it), veal cutlets (breaded pieces of rubber), and cube steak (plain hamburger that you'd have to chew 5-600 times before you could even think about trying to swallow it, not to mention the little bits of rubber in it).

>Yeah, about the dad thing. I feared my dad. He was military, never hit us but was

Me too. Except for the few smacks on the butt, my father never hit me or my mother, but he's always had a terrible temper, and when he gets mad, he likes to break things and literally *SCREAM* at the top of his lungs. The thing is that he would never give any sign of being annoyed and the least little thing would set him off. You'd say something you thought was completely innocent, get no immediate reaction from him, turn your back, and then hear something smash as he starts screaming about something. Actually, he's like a little kid, he likes to tease people, but getting teased, no matter how good natured it is, p**ses him off. Disagreeing with his opinions on anything he considers important p**ses him off. Not following his advice p**ses him off. Forgetting to do something he asked you to do, no matter what the reason, p**ses him off. His idea of recreation is sitting in a bar after work getting p**sed off at all the stupid people there (basically everyone in the world but him) and then coming home to rant about something that happened 8 hours ago.

Back in the early 80's, he had a CB and we had one at home, mounted under the shelf of one of those pressboard stereo shelf units and my mother would talk to him on the way home each night. One day he came home and my mother made a comment about hearing him talk to his 'girlfriend'. He didn't  say a word, just walked into the living room, grabbed the CB with one hand, ripped the shelf right off the top of the unit, slammed it down on the floor, almost hitting my mother's little dog, and started stomping on the CB with his heavy work boots while screaming something like "I CAN'T EVEN F****** TALK TO A SINGLE GODDAMN F***** PERSON WITHOUT GETTING F****** S*** FROM YOU!!! EVERY SINGLE F****** DAY ALL I GET IS NOTHING BUT S*** FROM EVERY F****** PERSON I TALK TO!!!"

>the infamous line "Don't make me pull this car over."
>
>Although once..just once..he actually DID!

Well don't keep us in suspense...? :)
Susan
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2002, 02:17:05 AM »

My dad was the opposite. He was very quiet. And you always fear the quiet ones more because they're not as predictable. Mostly it was just a grab of the arm and would send us to the chamber. (which was our room. Back then it was punishment..we didn't have tvs, vrcs and game systems in them to keep us occupied..it was hell! Plus we practically lived outdoors as kids.)

>>>stomping on the CB with his heavy work boots while screaming something like "I CAN'T EVEN F****** TALK TO A SINGLE GODDAMN F***** PERSON WITHOUT GETTING F****** S*** FROM YOU!!! EVERY SINGLE F****** DAY ALL I GET IS NOTHING BUT S*** FROM EVERY F****** PERSON I TALK TO!!!"<<

o/~ memories..out of the corner of my mind, misty water colored memories..of the way we were

>>Although once..just once..he actually DID!
Well don't keep us in suspense...? :)<<

I don't really remember much..lol. I think he threated for us to get out of the car and he was leaving us but i think they calmed him down and we moved on. ;-) thank god or i'd probably still be somewhere in arizona.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When movies become too violent « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.