Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:26:13 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  new apprectiation « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: new apprectiation  (Read 5237 times)
BadTaste_nz
« on: April 12, 2001, 02:08:24 AM »

after reading so many bad comments about Bad Taste, i mm posting this so that people can hear comments about BT whether you like it or not you BT haters.

1) Bad Taste was filmed on a low budget, what the hell do you expect? massive as special effects, clever ass plots?

2) After being in contact with the guys from BT, they have told me a great deal of effort they put into making this film, it makes BT sound and look way better knowing they didnt do it for a hell of a lot of money like so called 'American Actors'

3)Peter Jackson is a bloody top director now, its awesom as to look back on his earlier film that made him famous.

4)Bad Taste did have marvolus special effects for its time of production, the way it was filmed, adds to its coolness.

5)seeing more New Zealanders on TV and films is great, let us not forget Braindead, Tim Balme is a kiwi, Peter Jackson is a kiwi.

6)You guys just don't know a cool film when you watch it.  Bad Taste is a lot better than some of the films you guys rant about here all the time.

let that sit on your brain for a bit eh?

oh, BTW NZ accents?? we are the only bloody people in the world that are original, unlike you Americans and other country people, you guys have to try to be special and have an accent that people can hardly understand.

FYI !!!!
Abby
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2001, 03:45:08 AM »

I'll respond simply because I know I irk you.

1.) Nobody expressed hatred toward Bad Taste. In fact, I found it refreshing to know that I'm not the only person who doesn't consider that PJ's best offering.

2.) Yes, PJ has made some excellent movies in the years that followed Bad Taste, and he'll probably cross that 'George Lucas' threshold with LOTR. Heavenly Creatures is my all-time favorite GOOD movie. That doesn't mean everyone has to adore PJ's debut. Respect, yes. Adore, no.

3.) I had to rewind a zillion times on first viewing to understand what was being said. It's the only PJ flick with which I experienced a dialect  problem. I've had to do the same with a few Aussie films I've seen, too.  We're all bastards of the English language. Nothing original there. 'The Rain In Spain Stays Mainly In The Plain.'

4.) Kiwis rock. No one implied otherwise. The new wave of New Zealand fim personalities would make Colin McKenzie proud.

5.) I'll blaspheme against Him and say: I enjoy watching the 'Making of Bad Taste' video more than I enjoy watching the film. Seeing PJ cook up alien masks in Ma's kitchen is priceless. Seeing him build fake guns is a riot. More fun than watching aliens and fake guns by themselves.

6.) That said, it seems from what you and others indicate that the stories about how Bad Taste came about might be more interesting than the film itself. Which should bode well for your website. So why the hostile whining?

For the same reasons people enjoy Bad Taste, I currently am keeping my eyes peeled for future offerings from "William Hellfire and Joey Smack" ... two young kids from New Jersey who put together an incredible homemade film titled 'Duck! The Carbine High School Massacre. Like Bad Taste, it drags in spots, but it's fantastically ambitious for a couple of college kids (who wrote, directed, produced, and starred in the feature). Nice homemade splatter effects, too. They didn't aim for low-rent technological achievements like PJ did, but they didn't take three years to make the flick, either. I enjoy 'Carbine High' immensely on those low-budget terms. And there's nothing wrong with that
BadTaste_nz
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2001, 05:29:25 AM »

irk?
Mofo Rising
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2001, 06:02:33 AM »

Well, you certainly won me over with that New Zealanders are gods among men bit.

Now, I haven't been on this message board for too long, but I've been around long enough to realize how dangerous it is to criticize someones favorite movie.  Trust me, for every movie that's been featured on this site there is always one guy who will fight to the bitter end proclaiming that such and such movie is the best movie ever made.

You think people are badmouthing BAD TASTE, while all I've seen is people proclaiming how much they love the movie.  Hell, Andrew, this site's webmaster, gave it five slimes.  He's pretty much a lost soul but he knows good bad movies when he sees them.

I love BAD TASTE, but to deny that it has very serious problems is to remain ignorant.

This board is a group of people who enjoy low-budget, badly acted horror movies.  Each and every one have their own separate opinons.  It's rare enough to find a group of people who are going to give such leeway for cheap movies, let alone know they exist.  Now you're going to lambast these people because they don't love BAD TASTE as much as you do?

I admire your dedication, but BAD TASTE is not the be-all end-all reason for living.  I'm sure if you talked to Peter Jackson he would say the same thing.

Call off your dogs, BadTaste_nz.  We love the movie, but you're taking it one step to far.
Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2001, 12:10:24 PM »

BAD TASTE (1987), DEAD ALIVE (1992; New Zealand title: BRAINDEAD), and THE FRIGHTENERS (1996) are my all time favorites from Peter Jackson. He is like George Romero, Herschell Gordon Lewis, and Andy Milligan when it comes to making a film that entertains an audience rather than wow them with overblown special effects and big name actors.

His film BAD TASTE remains to be my favorite because the film was made by living breathing people who put something we would like to call "effort" in his films. So he is not like Steven Speilberg or George Lucas. So what. Speilberg and Lucas are both hacks who pass off a film with big budget effects and little else. Jackson put effort in both acting, camerawork, story, script, production values, and special effects to create a film that IS ENTERTAINING. Jackson's films are way better than Hollywood garb that wastes too much money on a simple audience.

As for Bad Taste_nz's comments, I remain neutral and cannot argue on either side. I am just here to talk about Peter Jackson's tallent towards filmmaking, not to argue.
Scott Davis
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2001, 01:55:39 PM »

I don't mind Peter Jackson.

Bad Taste and Dead Alive (Brain Dead to some) are great classic horror movies.  

Frightners was pretty good, not bad mainstream horror really. I say mainstream cause Micheal J Fox is in it.

Heavenly Creatures was alright. Everytime its on TV, I'm half asleep and don't know what the hell is going on, and I keep  thinking, "Why hasn't Kate Winslet taken her top off yet?"

Meet The Feebles was a mind blower. I grew up on the muppets and thus hold them in high regard. Hell, Kermit still rocks today!

There was one movie he did, that was a fake documentary on a fake director. Anyone know the name of that one?? I really want to see it.

And Lord of the Rings. I have a feeling that it might suck (I didn't like any of JRR Tolkiens books, Sorry) but I'll probably go see them anyways. Hope They do really well, and then PJ might make the sequel to Bad Taste.

I don't think I've missed any other movies. I give all of PJ's movie I've seen to date 4.5/ 5. He's a great director thats massively underrated.
Abby
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2001, 04:10:21 PM »

Forgotten Silver is the PJ mockumentary.
Josh Leman
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2001, 04:32:25 PM »

The hardest thing about being a movie fan is learning to accept other people's opinions when they completely contradict your own.  I mean, there are people who don't like Bad Taste running around out there, and there's nothing we can do about it.  Hell, I showed Dead Alive to one of my friends and, unbelievably, he hated it!  Two weeks later I asked him what the worst movie he had ever seen was, and he answered, "Oh that one, like, Australian movie you showed me with the ninja priest... what was it called?"  I wanted to hit him in the face.

What's even harder for me to accept is the simple, unflinching hatred that so many people feel towards The Blair Witch Project.  Even if you didn't think it was scary, I don't see how anyone could have thought it was THAT bad.  On the other hand, there is a certain horror film from the late seventies that I consider to be one of the worst movies ever imagined, but which most horror fans regard as one of the greatest classics in the genre.  And there's nothing I can do about it.

My point is that, for some reason, sometimes people who should like a movie see it and end up completely hating it.  It's almost completely random.  There's no easy explanation for it, but it's there and it's not going to go away.  

There are times when people hate a movie essentially because they misunderstood it.  I had a lengthy argument with a guy who thought that American Beauty was just a disgusting movie about a guy who found happiness through pedophilic lust.  And way too many movie critics thought Fight Club was a glorification of masochism and anarchy, when clearly it was not.  But sometimes people just don't get into the movie for some reason, even though they basically understand everything it's saying.  

I'm getting off into a tangent that has nothing to do with Bad Taste, but basically what I'm saying is that people don't have control over what they like, so it's wrong to go around attacking people for their movie opinions.  Am I making any sense?
Scott Davis
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2001, 04:34:43 PM »

no text!
BadTaste_nz
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2001, 04:56:26 PM »

I was posting my opinion like everyone else here on badmovies.org to see if anyone at all aggreed with me, of course more people would have dissagreed.

Thanks, Scott, Abby, Mofo Rising, Chris K, Josh Lewman
later
BT
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  new apprectiation « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.