Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:57:40 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I see a dead parrot - Eight Legged Freaks « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I see a dead parrot - Eight Legged Freaks  (Read 2478 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: July 21, 2002, 08:32:16 PM »

Took in "Eight Legged Freaks" today with Katie, at the twilight show.

I enjoyed it, though the movie has some obvious problems.  First was that the spiders actually seemed to talk at times.  In fact, this may be the only movie in which I have seen a spider in need of a question mark.  With all the arachnid talking going on, there was no need to explain their excellent coordination.  There are some genuinely funny moments though and, heck, we all go to see a movie like this for lots of big spiders running amok.  The movie delivers.

Lessons Learned:
Humans are better at climbing than spiders.
What Elizabeth Taylor calls "perfume" is actually brute enough stuff to stop a giant spider.
Dirt bikes move faster than exploding methane.
A stun gun can be used in place of a generator.

PS:  The parrot getting eaten was a hoot.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 12:08:29 PM »

loved it loved it loved it.
JohnD
New Visitor

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 09:15:25 PM »

dead parrots freek me out...... the only way to get em to move is to put 50,000 volts through em.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 12:53:35 AM »

I loved it, too. The spider voices reminded me of Gremlins. The spider hanging from the back of the police car made me giggle.

Was it me, was it coincidence, or did I sense a lot of nods to Tremors (among other films, I know). Like the Ostrich farm.
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 12:06:19 PM »

I saw Eight Legged Freaks last night at the late show. There was about 8 people in the theater including the people I went with. It was a blast, probably the most fun I've had in the theatre. (My town doesn't get anything good in the movies). We were yelling at the screen, and MSTing it the whole way through. It was a blast! For the fun factor I think the movie delivered big time.

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
Future Blob
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 02:42:25 PM »

I liked it, though I wish someone other than David Arquette for the hero. Also, some pointless nudity wouldn't have hurt. Aside from that, it was a lot of fun (the spider in the tent made me laugh out loud) and I learned something about spiders. I was surprised that there weren't any black widows or ballooning spiders (they can, you know.)
Chadzilla
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 02:52:17 PM »

The spider coughing so cutely on the motorbikes exhaust had me giggling.  It just worked for me.
Tor
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2002, 08:11:00 AM »

I enjoyed it.  Had some nice references in it. The whole "Let's take shelter in a mall." thing brought back fond memories of Dawn of the Dead. There was one thing that irritated from about halfway through to the end though: I found that the main  hero role was just BEGGING for Bruce Campbell. He could have added some much-needed 'tude to this movie!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2002, 11:04:19 PM »

Yeah, I just got done watching EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS a while back.

I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Like much of the rest, it reminded me strongly of GREMLINS.  Of course, a bunch of malicious monsters attacking a small town is pretty much what both movies are.

But what I really liked was that this movie stopped for every cheap gag it could get and got away with it.  Check out the soundtrack apeing "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" when the tarantula walks by the police car.  Prank phone calls, moving tents, they're just piled on.

Quick bit of trivia, the mall scenes were filmed at the old Manistee Town Center in Glendale, AZ, which is about ten miles from my house.  Don't bother trying to visit it, though.  It's not there anymore.  (No, they didn't actually blow it up like in the movie, it's just been torn down.)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Lee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2002, 11:53:44 PM »

This movie rocks!! The spider attack on the bikers was great. That guy who got attacked while watching tv reminded me of my Dad. The thing about this kovie that really cracks me up though is that this town is even more pathetic than mine! The ostirich farm scene was another high-light, it brought a little creepyness to all the insane hilarity.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I see a dead parrot - Eight Legged Freaks « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.