Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:36:18 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hmm..subject? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hmm..subject?  (Read 4815 times)
Susan
« on: July 22, 2002, 01:35:07 AM »

I was just thinking how modern day technology has changed a popular movie cliche. For one, the phone was always dead in the movie...so the person can't call for help. But now we have cellphones, so that cliche is out the door - because even if the cell phone is lost there's always somebody elses or the regular phone. Of course it is amusing that they'd even want to call anyone - exactly who do you call about zombies, maniacs, corpses, demons on the loose? It's not like they're gonna believe you! I can only imagine that 911 call going through.  Of course times have changed, whenever there's a major crisis people don't call 911 - they call Fox news or CNN! They love a good story, so maybe that would be the best bet.

You know what i would think is funny is if the car wouldn't start so the person tries to escape on those electric scooters (you know, that talked about recent invention where it moves with you..knows where you wanna go) heh..i'd just like to see it...I don't care if it would work. Now with electric cars (hybrids really) I think they wouldn't have as many startup problems since they store solar energy. Of course not everybody has one of those...yet.

One thing that always bugged me. During a chase scene where the bad guy is driving and the good guy is running...they can always outrun a car. Huh? Humans can run at best..what..8mph? How is this logical? Closeup shot of those headlights..reving car engine as you sense it speeding up and it's gonna get him..look! wait! no! The guy doesn't get run over..he makes it!

And way off topic...that commercial where the guy keeps repeating "Can you hear me now?" has GOT to go. Bet if he was in a b-movie the connection would get lost.

Also after a recent viewing of "return of the living dead 3" it's come to my attention that filmmakers of today just cannot make a good campy horror spoof.  Tho I had to marvel at a scene where they boarded up a door and zombies arms are breaking through from the other side and waving inside how they were trying to beat them back with hammers and malots. But they were ever so lightly tap tap tapping those mallots on the BOARDS and not the arms...ack!

raj
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 09:21:52 AM »

With cellphones I can see the protagonist trying to call and, oops, the battery just died.  Or he calls and "we're sorry, but your provider has just filed for bankruptcy and has discontinued service for the present time.  We apologize for any inconvenience." Heh heh heh.

People outrunning cars has always bothered me.

And while we are rambling, I finally got around to seeing Reign of Fire yesterday.  While it was ok, I left feeling kinda disappointed.  I'm not sure why, the story just didn't grip me.  While I can forgive a lot of plot holes, the helicopter was just too painful.  The world is in a Mad Max situation, with gasoline being very scarce, and this group can drive a 2-gallons-to-the-mile tank all over England?  Not too mention having enough aviation fuel to keep a helicopter up? The dragons were very cool though.
Callysto
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 02:00:03 PM »

You have hit the nail on the head with every thing mentioned.

The out running of the car has got to be number one. And what amazes me even more with this is that they either never trip or when they do they get back up and still out run the car.

With the cell phone how about getting the message the customer is away please leave a message at the beep and maybe he will get back to you.

Yes in a horror movie it would be a miracle if 911 actually answered on time. We have problems here with it all the time.

The phone guy. OOOOOOOOH he is so annoying. I would love for him to go underwater and try that and DROWNED!!!

Or one even better in the movies if a cop accidently showed up to a butcher scene in action and stopped him with one shot. Course there goes the whole stupid ending theory.

""I always try to save the best for last, but in my opinion you need to jump NOW!!!!""
Susan
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 02:23:32 PM »

>> but your provider has just filed for bankruptcy and has discontinued service for the present time. We apologize for any inconvenience." Heh heh heh.<<

Out of range could be an issue, or the ol' "phone got knocked out of my reach" bit, but there's ALWAYS the housephone..payphone..etc. (tho payphones require more than a quarter now and who has that kind of time) Then some cars have ONSTAR..which is..i believe, that service where you can call up that company in an emergency. Palmpilots, those little pagers where you can page other people using it..etc. It never ends!

I can't see "Reign of Fire", After the seaon connery talking dragon movie I have given up on hollywood makingi any decent dragon movie. (My only favorite being Dragonslayer)

>>And what amazes me even more with this is that they either never trip or when they do they get back up and still out run the car.>

Right, and sometimes they roll over the car, but they ALWAYS make it, they manage to turn that corner in time or dive into a ditch (where I point out "Why didn't they just run in the ditch anyhow? Car can't go there!) basically in real life a car can plow down a man running in probably 2.3 seconds.

>>The phone guy. OOOOOOOOH he is so annoying.<<

Yeah, so many scenarios i'd like to see that guy in. Mostly involving shark tanks, lion pits, deep space.....
How about he gets eaten by a whale! "Can you hear me now? Hello? Oh god..HELP! HELLO?!"

raj
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 02:58:23 PM »

Put the phone guy in a small, sound proof room with that Dell guy.  The one who comes out alive gets a small reward. . . made of lead.
Susan
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 03:05:11 PM »

>>Put the phone guy in a small, sound proof room with that Dell guy. The one who comes out alive gets a small reward. . . made of lead.<<

yeah! You know what I miss about commercials is jingles. Corny I don't care but I loved all the commercial jingles they used to have. Most tv shows had jingles too..today tv commercials & shows are mostly music (w/o lyrics) and more often than not..very irritating. In fact the only commercial right now I can think of off the top of my head is that pull-ups for kids (o/~ and I can pull em off and on..mommy wow! i'm a big kid now). hmm..just what we need is a kid who's able to yank their diapers off and on by themself...heh..but you know jingles stick in your head better than anything a commercial could do to be witty or memorable. I still remember the commercial jingle for the Dallas Times Herald Classifieds (phone number was in the jingle) and that paper has been out of distribution for YEARS..lol

But IMO the commercial spokeman are becoming aggresively annoying. Can you hear me now guy and Dell guy examples. We are not amused.

ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 07:47:01 PM »

But there have also been catch phrases. "How do you spell relief? R-O-L-A-I-D-S" Tell me you forgot that?
And Susan as soon as you mentioned jingles the first things that came to my mind was the McDonalds Big Mac jingle, Oscar Mayer(just you try and get that one out of your head), the Coke-Cola one(Teach the world to sing, oh God I'm showing my age) and then Empire Carpets(for those in the Chi-Town area).  Jingles are still out there and it short supply but please no one contact Barry Manilow. Another guy I found anoying was the 7-Up guy

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

Chadzilla
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2002, 08:02:56 PM »

The remake of House on Haunted Hell had a nifty cellphone gag.  Everybody whipped their phones out at once when the house locked them in, but none could work...

Eight Legged Freaks also had cellphone moment.  David Arguette climbs up a tower to get a signal (the mountains block it off, I guess).  He gets one, calls 911 and screams out the GIANT SPIDERS ARE ATTACKING THE TOWN.  The 911 operator promptly calls him a prankster and hangs up on him.  He risked his life for NOTHING!  (If it were my movie he'd get eaten right then).
Susan
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2002, 09:54:04 PM »

Any commercial that came up with a jingle did themselves a favor. Like or hate them - they are stuck in your head for LIFE. What better way to advertise than in a song? Oscar meyer weiner, my bologne has a first name, alka seltzer to the rescue, mr. clean mr clean, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too - even a short little line like "oh what a feeling..toyota!". To emphasize the strength in jingles I have local stores here put to memory from a jingle i heard 15 years ago.
o/~ when you need a boot and you need a deal that'll fit you right from toe to heel..get your boots at..western warehouse!" ahhhh!

But even back to tv shows, almost all older shows had jingles..probably starting somewhere in the late 50's to early 60's I'd say. Even the ones that just had the catchy tune were good because I can still hum "I dream of jeanni" (I couldn't even begin to hum any modern day tv show..most you CAN'T hum to). But Yeah..i like singing gilligans island, love boat, my god I even remember the words to "grizzly adams". I miss that, because even if you didn't like the show you tuned in to sing the opening song and then turned the station.

>>remake of House on Haunted Hell had a nifty cellphone gag. Everybody whipped their phones out at once when the house locked them in, but none could work...
<<

One thing I couldn't understand was why in "Jurassic Park III" the cellphone worked - even in the dinosaurs stomach, in it's poo, and not to mention on some distant island in the middle of nowhere. There are times when I'm at the grocery store or just a bit out of town and the stupid thing won't work. They musta had a good service.

>>GIANT SPIDERS ARE ATTACKING THE TOWN. The 911 operator promptly calls him a prankster and hangs up on him. <<

That's why you call FOXNEWS instead. Whether they believe you or not they'd have a chopper there in 10 minutes..nobody wants to take the chance of not being the first station to bring that news coverate to you live. And didn't anybody in the movie have a can of raid and a match? See..I have a plan of action if I ever end up being attacked by giant spiders. ;-)

Callysto
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2002, 06:54:13 AM »

Hey Susan you like annoying catchy little jingles that you just can't get out of your head. I have one for you. Back on 4-09 of this year Private Joker posted on this site the web address for a catchy little tune. I to this day still cannot get it out of my head, so I thought I would pass it on to you.  

www.simarena.com/const.swf

It takes a little bit too load, just sit back and relax then enjoy. Just remember Private Joker sent the site this post not me.

""I always try to save the best for last, but in my opinion you need to jump NOW!!!!""
systemcr4sh
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2002, 12:16:35 PM »

thats one catchy ass song!

-Dan

"Evil will always triumph, because good, is dumb"
-Spaceballs

"Now life's like a b-movie, That no one wants to see,
Here comes the zombie, Portraying me."
     - Dillinger Four
Chadzilla
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2002, 01:23:14 PM »

Susan wrote:
>
> That's why you call FOXNEWS instead. Whether they believe you
> or not they'd have a chopper there in 10 minutes..nobody
> wants to take the chance of not being the first station to
> bring that news coverate to you live. And didn't anybody in
> the movie have a can of raid and a match? See..I have a plan
> of action if I ever end up being attacked by giant spiders. ;-)
>
>

That's what happens, seriously.  

SPOILER

Don't peek if you want the joy of Eight Legged Freaks unmarred by foresight...

Okay, turns out nearby law enforcement are big fans of Harlan the Art Bell radio talk show host.  They hear the broadcast of the attack on his trailer and show up just in time to...congratulate the hero and get excited about cocoons.
Susan
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2002, 03:56:01 PM »

I like catchy tunes Callysto. But after that I'm gonna have nightmares...lol.  It actually sounds like a good song for the next Return of the Living Dead movie (as i'm sure there will be one) image the video of dancing zombies for that one.

ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2002, 06:24:45 AM »

WHY? Why did you have to dredge that up again? ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHH
That's just about as bad as that Lambchop song
This is the song that doesn't end
Yes it goes on an on my friend....DAMN IT
Now I have both of them in my head......STOP IT
Must kill....need blood...arrrrrrgggghhhh

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

Flangepart
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2002, 11:10:58 AM »

D'oh! Spoiler, Chad! should have warned us! Though the "Hero" getting eaten by bugs doews sound ...appitising. Seriously, the phone guys should be locked in a room with a lit fuse on a stack of C-4. The one who calls up his provider and gets the combination to the door lock first, gets a chance to get out before the big boom. Now....just how do you block a cellphone call,  anyway?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hmm..subject? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.