Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:59 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Big Guy and Rusty the boy robot. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Big Guy and Rusty the boy robot.  (Read 5259 times)
Flangepart
« on: April 12, 2001, 02:28:06 PM »

Has anyone else been watching this toon' ? I like it, and so recomend it. And with that in mind., am i the only one who thought Iron Giant was cool as well? What is the image that comes to mind when i say, "Cool Robot"?   Conciter the field of play...MechaGodzilla mk1 and 2, Tobot (design wise), Robby of corse, Robot from Lost in Space, Terminator, the Macross Vreitechs....what type turns you on, and what would you like to see a robot do, thats not been done before?
Stefan Robak
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2001, 02:35:54 PM »

Rusty is kind of annoying.  But in a way that's kinda the point.  Rusty wants to be cool but he's most assurdedly not.  The best is Big Guy's hilariously cheesy patriot speeches and one line.  It's actually based on a comic written by Frank Miller (Sin City, The Dark Knight Returns, Daredevil: Born Again) and drawn by Goef Darrow (the guy who did a good amount of the designs for the Matrix).
Flangepart
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2001, 02:49:54 PM »

True. Darrow's art style is great. The detail he pulls off is mindboggeling. Did youever wonder what Rusty will think when he finde out that Dwane is realy "Big Guy"? if Rusty is ,Essenchuly, a young child, and thinks Big Guy is a fully functioning 'bot, what happens then? I wish Dwane yould get credit for his hard work. Besides, if Rusty wants to "Grow up", when the time comes...move his Mind into Big Guy! If puberty is all in the mind....hummm.
Josh Leman
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2001, 04:37:47 PM »

The Iron Giant was one of the best movies of 1999.  It's like taking all the best parts of E.T. and making them three hundred times better, with dozens of '50s B-movie references to boot!  Everyone should see that movie.

But when someone says "cool robot" I think of Gort, from The Day the Earth Stood Still, and the Fuchikomas from the Ghost in the Shell manga.
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2001, 05:15:25 PM »

Clunky, weird-looking but highly-versitile MOGERA from "Godzilla vs Space Godzilla" remains my all-time favorite robot. The original Moguera from "The Mysterians"--the Martian War Machine translated as a rubber-plastic monster suit--comes in second; Tom Servo comes third (Sorry, Crow).

In the doorway of a bookstore in Akihabara, Tokyo, there stands a lifesize replica of R2-D2, built entirely of Legos--complete, unfortunately, with sound effects. The beeping and screeching is loud and incessant. I don't know how the staff can stand it; it drives me berzerk after about two minutes.
Gerry
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2001, 06:00:37 PM »

There is a really cool robot in Voyage to a Prehistoric Planet.  Practical too.
Warren H.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2001, 09:05:06 PM »

I LOVE Big Guy & Rusty.  Why?  Big Guy doesn't screw around.  "Uh-oh, a menace to the people of the good ol' US of A.  Time to kick ass!"  He doesn't hesitate to pop a cap in they asses if that's what it takes.  It's been so long since a cartoon hero did something like that!  Plus, I like the portrayal of the military as competent, something also sorely lacking from most of today's sci-fi/adventure shows/movies.
El Chupacabra
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2001, 04:49:59 AM »

Has anyone noticed that Rusty and Bobby Hill
(from King Of The Hill) have the SAME VOICE?
As a long-time KOTH viewer, it's a little
disconcerting.
Scott Davis
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2001, 10:48:59 AM »

Thats because they're both voiced by the same person.
Flangepart
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2001, 11:03:30 AM »

Hear,hear! I'd love to see the General tell Rusty about Courage. From a soldiers point of view. Remember when Rusty found out, thanks to the Living Bots, what pain was like? "No pain receptors". Then we seen Dwane, in Big Guy, wraping his arm in a sling, and we remember that courage means more...when you overcome your natural instinct for self preservation, and would rather preserve other people. Thats what being an honorable warrior is all about.
Stefan Robak
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2001, 01:52:21 PM »

Well, the theory is that if Rusty found out the truth his human emotion grid would crash, meaning he'd either shut down, lose his emotions or go nuts.  Personally I think he'd go into a deep depression.  It's like telling a 5 year old that there is no Santa.
El Chupacabra
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2001, 11:48:08 PM »

Yes, but the acting is identical.  If I
closed my eyes & paid no attention to the
dialogue, I'd swear it was KOTH. ;)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Big Guy and Rusty the boy robot. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.