Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:52 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Help Please « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 5656 times)
Fritz
« on: April 12, 2001, 04:12:42 PM »

I have this bet with a friend of mine that I cannot come up with actor or actress that hasn't been in a terrible film ( and when I say terrible I mean at Xanadu's level or Ishtar). I've only got till 8pm saturday and I know this is semi cheating but I need some help.

Exceptions can be Batman Movies and The Actors first films.

Thanks

F
BadTaste_nz
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2001, 04:58:15 PM »

Arnold Swazennegger?
Didn't he do Conan first?
that was pretty good
Josh Leman
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2001, 04:58:42 PM »

All of the following suggestions are based on my opinion based on movies that I have actually seen.  Some of these people may have been in genuinely awful films that I've never heard of.  Some of these people have been in movies that COULD be considered that bad, but that I personally don't think were at the level of Ishtar or Xanadu.  But here goes nothing.

Morgan Freeman.  Anthony Hopkins.  Ed Harris (Knightriders was the worst movie ever made, but it was his first film so it doesn't count).  Geoffrey Rush.  Edward Norton.  John Malkovich.  Willem Dafoe.  Kirsten Dunst.  Johnny Depp (unless you count his brief cameo in Nightmare on Elm Street 6).  Haley Joel Osment.  

Does it have to be big name actors?  Do they have to be working now?  Do they have to be American?
Josh Leman
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2001, 05:02:18 PM »

Schwarzenegger's first movie was Hercules Goes to New York, otherwise known as Hercules Goes Bananas.  He's credited as "Arnold Strong," and he made it back before he knew English so his voice is dubbed!!  It's amazingly hilarious.

But I think Jingle All the Way and Last Action Hero pretty much rule him out.
Apostic
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2001, 05:37:59 PM »

I think Josh came up with some good names.

But how well some of these may fly may depend on how the other party feels about some movies.  Movies at the Xanadu and Ishtar level are astoundingly rare, unless one has a bone to pick with certain movies.  And toward that end, the following actors were in some questionable features.

Malkovich.  I've heard people put Messenger at the Xanadu level.

Morgan Freeman?  Two words:  Hard Rain.  Not one of the worst movies made, but again, some people thought it was horrid.

Hopkins?  Freejack and Road to Wellville

Ed Harris?  Walker (1987) may have been his worst, and it ain't that bad.  I'd call him a good candidate for an answer.

Rush?  Lot of people hated House on Haunted Hill and Mystery Men

Edward Norton?  Relatively short film resume, and another good candidate answer.

Dafoe?  Body of Evidence, and some people will rate Flight of the Intruder even lower.  And then there was that Speed sequel.

Dunst?  Bonfire of the Vanities may have been the worst thing she was in, and that was a first movie credit.  Opinions may vary on The Crow: Salvation.

Depp?  With stuff like Private Resort and Astronaut's Wife in his resume, there may be stronger choices elsewhere.

Osment?  Depends on how badly people feel about Mixed Nuts and Bogus.

regards,

Apostic
Fritz
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2001, 05:51:25 PM »

Nice one Josh, it doesnt matter what nationality the person is or if there still working, they have just got to have done more that 5 films.

Freemans out because of Chain Reaction. A film I had the misfortune of seeing again on Channel 5 this week.

Depp has done so many cameos, he's a big fan of English culture and turns up in a few British Stinkers eg LA without a map (although part of the film was shot near where I live,Bradford, England)

But Geoffrey Rush is a good one (I've got Steve McQueen and Paul Newman on my list so far)

Willem Dafoe: Speed 2, I can't slip that one by anyone and John Malkovich did a soppy flick with Andy Macdowel ( My friend a movie database, like myself and knows 1000's of real obscure movies.)

Thanks
Fritz
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2001, 06:02:33 PM »

Thanks Apostic, your right about Walker and Freejack, Crow salvation isn't out here yet (but having seen what they have done with the Crow series so far apart from the fantastic 1st film i'm not realy expecting it to be any good.)

I was one of the few people that thoght Mystery Men was fantastic, I'd even say it was better than X-Men.

House on Haunted Hill takes Rush off my list (you see my predicament, i've had a month to think about it so far and I hate to lose this bet !)

Thanks again
Josh Leman
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2001, 08:50:44 PM »

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't have even mentioned Dafoe if I had seen Speed 2.  And I LIKED the House on Haunted Hill remake, dagnabit...

But if you can use foreign and classic actors it's somewhat easier, especially since your betting friend is probably less familiar with them.  Name a bad movie starring, let's say, Jimmy Stewart, without referring to IMDb... you can't do it, because the only old movies anybody knows about are the good ones.  

And foreign actors are even better.  Try Toshiro Mifune, Michelle Yeoh, or Tatsuya Nakadai (he has a good record--his lowest IMDb-rated film is the live action Wicked City, which is actually a pretty popular cult movie).

It's a pretty good question, because just about everybody has at least one splotch on their filmography.  Brando has The Island of Dr. Moreau, Gary Oldman has that ghastly Scarlet Letter movie, Julianne Moore has the Psycho remake, Jodie Foster and Chow Yun-Fat are wiped out by Anna and the King... it goes on and on.
Fritz
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2001, 05:13:17 AM »

I know,it's real stinker of a question. I'm  gonna go with Steve McQueen and Paul Newman. The only film that is relatily cheesy for them both is Towering Inferno,it's a good job that everyone,including myself loves that film, it even has OJ "I've whatched too many slasher flicks" Simpson in it.
Nathan
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2001, 10:09:24 AM »

I dunnno about Hopkins -- The Road to Wellville may disqualify him, although I'm not sure it approaches Ishtar's level.

Nathan
Flangepart
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2001, 11:15:38 AM »

Don't forget, if the movie was bad, does the actors performance have to be bad too? Lots of actors do good, or at least workman like service, in some pretty cheesy stinkers. If its the overall films you need to define it, then Steve McQueen would seem to be your best bet, so far.
Scott
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2001, 12:08:58 PM »

Johnny Depp?
BadTaste_nz
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2001, 04:27:30 PM »

JAMES GARNER!!!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Help Please « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.