Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:52:32 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dagon « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dagon  (Read 2552 times)
Will
« on: July 27, 2002, 04:12:09 AM »

Got Dagon, the new Gordon/Yuzna/Paoli Lovecraft adaptation, from Netflix today. It's pretty damn good. The lead actor, whose name escapes me, looks very similar to Combs......I won't give spoilers or even tell you guys about it. Just see it.  It has some humor but it's mostly just intense and atmospheric.

4 1/2 slimes is my first reaction. We'll see if it stands the test of time for me.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 10:16:00 AM »

Curses!  I am still waiting for my order to ship, so mine will not be here for at least another week.  I envy you.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Neville
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 10:52:43 AM »

Saw it on the big screen months ago. I don't use to like Gordon's stuff, but the atmosphere really catches you and everything looks great for such a low budget. The shipwreck scene, though, is hilarious. What did you though of Paco Rabal's performance? He is a legend, but I've been told that his "english" is sometimes hard to decipher.
Will
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 01:41:27 PM »

Andrew: Nyah, Nyah!  :)

As for Paco, yes, quite hard to decipher, but mesmerizing nonetheless......I didn't think much of the boat wreck or anything in that opening scene at all. It took off when they get to the town. That's when it all went nuts and I started having a hella good time.
haze
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2002, 04:39:10 PM »

Yeah Dagon was pretty good, I liked how it used its finale but besides that it's another zombie like movie with a a twist ending. Everything was fun for me though and I have to say its better than either humanoids of the Deep.
                              * * */ 4 stars
Future Blob
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2002, 01:59:58 PM »

Now that everyone has hopefully had a chance to see it.. :)

I really enjoyed it, it was dark and bloody and very atmospheric (good makeup). I think Lovecraft would have felt right at home in Gordon's Innsmouth. The creep factor there was pretty strong, more so than I've felt in higher budget movies. The ending was good too, and not what I was expecting/dreading. The casting was quite good, though the resembelance that others have mentioned of the leading man to Jeffery Combs was distracting. I thought maybe they were related. (Or a very subtle homage to Re-Animator?)

I'd love to have a Dagon t-shirt :).
Gerry
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2002, 05:39:34 PM »

Man, I've been wanting to see that one for months and months, but I've already spent my allotted DVD budget for the month.  I may have to make a budget-breaking trip to Best Buy and see if they have a copy.  (Hmmm.  I think I have enough cash in my wallet to pick it up.  The wife would never even have to know...)
Neville
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2002, 12:10:18 PM »

I just found the original poster in a big JPG. Its gonna look great in my desktop with some adjusting!

Grab it here: http://gkaplan.iespana.es/gkaplan/Enlaces/Pelis/dagon/a.html

Hope somebody does a desktop theme soon.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Dagon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.