Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:47:18 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I can't believe Hollywood is so out of ideas. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I can't believe Hollywood is so out of ideas.  (Read 3694 times)
Akira Tubo
« on: July 28, 2002, 10:29:48 AM »

Do any of you remember the episode of Married, With Children in which a French exchange student came to live with the Bundys and subsequently took over being #1 school slut from Kelly?

Now there's a movie based on that!

Before Goldmember (in my theater anyway) there was a preview for a movie called "Slap Her, She's French!"  It's about an unintelligent, boy-obsessed cheerleader (hmm, kind of like Kelly!) who has all aspects of her life stolen by a . . . French exchange student.

I'm sure Married, With Children wasn't the first to use that plot but "Slap Her, She's French!" looks like it was determined to be as similar to the MWC episode as possible.

I can only shake my head and weep.
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2002, 11:15:50 AM »

Ah Hollywood. The day has come that they are running out of ideas and either have to remake an older film with their so-called "new ideas" or result in an idea that is less satisfactory. It's amazing that in the independent department, they are coming up with ideas that are new and yet when shown to Hollywood moguels they are either unimpressed or complain that it's not "big budget". Then the next year or so, Hollywood comes up with a new film that's the same as the independent product that they have alreadly seen!
Nick
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2002, 12:26:38 PM »

I think the real problem now is that the hollywood machine has been on automatic to long and now they are afraid to shift down and take the wheek again.  They are so paranoid to try something new that they are only looking with tunnel vision toward the ideas that they know will be a success to the masses.  Actual value in an idea is side stepped so that they can get "public appeal", or for that matter critical aclaim (from critics whom I am convinced watch movies with their hands over eyes and ear...something about 3 monkies?) and that is now what gauges what a sucess their half-assed creation was.  I have seen better movies lately that are HBO produced straight to Cable or for that matter just watching old movies...because as the first message indicated it is more or less the same ideas, movies and I am not out the ticket cost.
Susan
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2002, 12:57:53 PM »

Hollywood fears something new. A sequel of a famous movie guarantees perhaps the same profit ballpark. It's about money. Taking a chance of a movie with A. unknown actors B. risky topic or C. no special effects is way too much for them to even conceive. Leave that for smaller studios..who can make better films but don't have the money to really market it.

Then you have to compete with mass merchendising. Before a movie is even comitted to paper I can bet you that execs sit around a table and first contemplate how much money they can make in merchendising the Soundtrack, if the movie can be sequeled, toys, mcdonalds or burger king deals..etc.

It's always been about trying to make money but substance is being sacrificed for "formula" way too much these days by trying to play it -safe-

John
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 06:40:15 PM »

>Then you have to compete with mass merchendising. Before a movie is even
>comitted to paper I can bet you that execs sit around a table and first
>contemplate how much money they can make in merchendising the Soundtrack,
>if the movie can be sequeled, toys, mcdonalds or burger king deals..etc.

There was a commercial like that a year or two ago. I forget what it was for, but they were discussing a movie called Death Slug. The execs were showing the boss the music video, the toys, etc. and when he asks about the movie itself, one of them replies "We don't have a script yet, but we can bang one out by Friday."
Steven Millan
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 02:57:07 AM »

A pre-fame Milla Jovovich was that French exchange chick,on that very episode,proving to Al Bundy that she was the stupidest girl in the world,as Kelly was the stupidest girl in America(and damn proud of it).
Neville
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 09:43:35 AM »

Not the only case of TV-to-movie plagierism I have heard of, the main idea of "40 days and 40 nights" was taken from a Seinfeld episode, as many people have noticed.

Anyway, it is common practice these days. Can't remind how many movies I have seen where terrorist assault any type of buildings and are defeated by people who shouldn't be there, or how many dumb action movies involve stolen nuclear weapons.
Kyla
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 11:53:06 AM »

Milla was that girl!??!
wow ! would i love to see that episode!
or better yet... get a copy of it...
i have WAY to many guy friends obecessed with her...
ahhahaha
Private Joker
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 12:27:43 PM »

John wrote:
>  There was a commercial like that a year or two ago. I forget
> what it was for, but they were discussing a movie called
> Death Slug. The execs were showing the boss the music video,
> the toys, etc. and when he asks about the movie itself, one
> of them replies "We don't have a script yet, but we can bang
> one out by Friday."

Slug burger: You put salt on it, it SHRIVELS.
Akira Tubo
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 10:39:06 PM »

I thought it was a slug taco.
John
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2002, 02:38:09 AM »

>wow ! would i love to see that episode!
>or better yet... get a copy of it...

FX airs Married With Children weeknights at 11pm.
yaddo42
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2002, 09:05:05 AM »

Or if an original idea appears in a foreign film, Hollywood buys the rights and remakes it as typical Hollywood boilerplate crap. I'm trying to imagine how watered down an American version of AUDITION would be. I haven't seen RING  yet, but I've heard about the remake. Hmmm.

Or a talented overseas actor or director comes to America and either gets stuck making crap (Ringo Lam) or is ruined by their exposure to America (John Woo). I wish Jean Reno would make more films in America like RONIN and THE PROFESSIONAL, instead of ROLLERBALL or GODZILLA. A French flick like THE CRIMSON RIVERS proves that he can carry a mainstream actioner or thriller even when the story is not so great.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I can't believe Hollywood is so out of ideas. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.