Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:04:08 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  80's icons on the move! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 80's icons on the move!  (Read 11324 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: July 29, 2002, 01:50:46 AM »

So we've all seen the resurgence of 80's stars.  Mr. T and Alf are both featured in several commercials.  E.T. had his movie re-released.  All those emo kids are putting there money into t-shirts with characters they barely remember pasted onto them.  Truly the 80's are back for their seventeen minutes of glory.

While this could be a worrying trend (Does anybody want to see the two Coreys worm their way back into the spotlight?  You know who I'm talking about.), I don't think it's all bad.  And I'd like to push one celebrity back into the mainstream.

That man, Ralph Macchio.  The Karate Kid himself.  We haven't seen you since MY COUSIN VINNY, Ralph?  Wherefore art thou?

Anyway, who do you want to see back?  The Monchichis?  That blue alien from the Reese's commercials?  Vanna White?  Let us know!

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
yaddo42
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 02:19:13 AM »

Jacko! The Aussie footballer turned actor.
A CGI remake of the THUNDERCATS.
A reunited Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters.
Huey Lewis and The News, remember when these guys were all over the radio and MTV?
Men At Work. I bought a best of CD of their's from a cut out bin a few years ago, they were better than we remember them.

And curse you, MOFO RISING, for putting that stupid Monchichi theme song back in my head! I had supressed the memory of my little sister following me around the house singing that whenever she wanted to really p**s me off.
Steven Millan
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 02:50:03 AM »

80s Icons To Lovingly Welcome Back...
    * Sybil Danning
    * Sho Kosugi
    * any early 80s hard rock/metal bands
    * Cannon Films(give Golan and Globus another chance,and they'll make even  
                                    better films)
    * "Married With Children":The Movie(with the entire TV cast)

80s Icons That Are Most Unwelcomed
    * Michael Jackson
    * "Out of this World":The Movie(the true end of the world arise,if this gets made)
    * Menudo reunion
    * Breakdancing Films subgenre
    * He-Man,Smurfs,or any of those ultra-trashy 80s kiddie cartoons
    * Vinnie Vincent Invasion reunion(the worst in Hair Metal,like Menudo goes
                                                                         rock)
    *The Toxic Georges:Boy George and George Michael
J.R.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 03:56:07 AM »

I'm very displeased with the reemergance of an icon of my youth: Snuggles. He was so sute and cuddly in the '80s, and now he's a brash jerk with a raspy cartoon voice that keeps badmouthing that poor porcupine.

I would like to se:
* Zoid, the Dominos pitchman with the red jumpsuit and bunny ears.
* Real slasher films with heaping amounts of nudity and inventive deaths.
* Rotoscope animation.
* Checkered slip-on sneakers.

I would hate to see:
* Acid wash denim jackets with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows.
* Feathered hair.
* A B-52's comeback.
* Wildly innacurate portrayals of punks and skaters in movies.

And speaking of Snuggles' voice, I've had it up to hear with the voice of the actress who played Dottie in Pee Wee's Big Adventure and now does the voices of Tommy on Rugrats and Buttercup on The Powerpuff Girls. Who agrees?
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2002, 11:56:27 AM »

"Mr. T and Alf are both featured in several commercials"

I'd love to have seen Mike Piazza's reaction when they told him..."Your new co-star is...a puppet"

I'd love to have seen Terry Bradshaw's reation when they told him "You're being replaced...by a puppet"
Susan
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 01:49:01 PM »

All i know is that if the smurfs are revived I heard that is one of the apocolyptic signs

frannie
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 04:58:21 PM »

He-Man is being redone.  There is an entire new set of toys out there
Susan
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 05:13:22 PM »

dammit now i just realized what the movie "Signs" is about. WHat's lurking in those corn fields? Little blue people

o/~ la la la la la la

Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 05:56:36 PM »

The new retroactive fascination with Care Bears baffles me. I didn't think Care Bears achieved wild popularity back in the day.  I know a 20 something with a Care Bear tattoo. Poor thing.

Strawberry Shortcake (Purple Pie Man excluded) sucked, too.

Of all 80's girly toys, I'd like to see the Sea Wees make a striking comeback. They were these little stylized mermaids that you could play with in the bathtub. My years of Sea Wees preceded the years where every toy had a corresponding cartoon.

As with "My Little Pony," one of my biggest issues with Sea Wees was that they all eventually came with a baby Sea Wee. I never understood that. I mean, apart from the fact that your favorite Sea Wee or My Little Pony character was now burdened with the responsibility of single parenthood ... like, who was the father of all of those baby ponies and sea wees? I know they eventually came out with a male My Little Pony. His name, not surprisingly, was "Lucky."

I digress ... here are some random 80's thoughts:

* I want 80's alternative dance styles (minus breakdancing) to come back. Mainly because it's still the only way I know how to dance and I could be dangerous on the dancefloor again.

* I'd like to see week-long marathons of all the classic ABC Afterschool Specials. I'd also love to see marathons of Not Necessarily The News -- just because they would be so perfectly dated now.

* I might hang myself if Huey Lewis makes a comeback. Or his evil twin Joe Piscipo (sp). As music goes, I never stopped loving goofy 80's new wave tunes, so that's fine. I appreciate the cheese of 80's hair metal now more than I did in the day .

* A  thought which often spurs my deepest fits of depression is the knowledge that I will hear "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves every summer for the rest of my life. Same thing with "Summer of '69."

* Anyone else see shades of The Karate Kid in the trailers for the new teen chickie surfing movie?
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 06:15:44 PM »

Abby wrote:
>
>
> * Anyone else see shades of The Karate Kid in the trailers
> for the new teen chickie surfing movie?

That's probably because the trailer features the Bananarama song "Cruel Summer", which was also in THE KARATE KID.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Abby
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 06:22:39 PM »

Well, that and the whole "new kid (s) in town defies the odds by winning a competition they should be locked out of" motif. I doubt it'll have anything as memorable as "wax on, wax off," but the trailers smelled like teen Macchio spirit.
Babydoll
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2002, 06:38:24 PM »

I would to see the these shows ( no remakes the originals)

Battle of The Planets
 Voltron
Arc 2 ( I think that is the name of the show.)
Kid Video ( I just liked the music)
yaddo42
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2002, 07:22:28 PM »

Actually I hate Huey Lewis, it's just the thought of his style of music somehow regaining popularity in this day and age of Jimmy Eat World, Nelly, and Pink.

Maybe Puff Daddy could do a remix of "Heart Of Rock 'n' Roll" or "The Power Of Love". The results would probably be so lame that it could induce anyone listening to commit suicide.
AndyC
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2002, 08:42:42 PM »

Noticed the Transformers are back, although the latest show sucks. I actually didn't mind the season of Beast Wars that featured the original Transformers. We just need some GI Joe. Hey, after last year, Americans are ready for their daring, highly-trained special mission force to battle terrorists once more.

Would definitely like to see more 80s music - AC/DC, GNR, Def Leppard, ZZ Top etc. Also wouldn't mind more early 80s British pop as well.

Couldn't have an 80s revival without Dave Thomas and Rick Moranis reuniting as Bob and Doug MacKenzie. That'd be cool, eh. As long as it was a better movie than that Blues Brothers 2000, cause that really, like, sucked, eh. I almost opened my jar of moths.

Hairstyles might be another matter. I prefer my current shaved dome to the mullet I wore in the 80s.
John
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2002, 02:10:26 AM »

>That man, Ralph Macchio. The Karate Kid himself. We haven't seen you since >MY COUSIN VINNY

He was in an episode of the new Outer Limits. If I hadn't seen his name in the titles, I never would have known it was him.

>And speaking of Snuggles' voice, I've had it up to hear with the voice of the
>actress who played Dottie in Pee Wee's Big Adventure and now does the
>voices of Tommy on Rugrats and Buttercup on The Powerpuff Girls. Who
>agrees?

I never watch either show, but I've always liked Elizabeth Daily, or E.G. Daily as I believe she calls herself now.

>I'd also love to see marathons of Not Necessarily The News

I second that. Remember "sniglets"? Who can tell me what "tremblemblamation" was? :)

>Battle of The Planets

This turned up on a local channel a few years ago as Saban's Eagle Riders with all new dubbing. Also, I seem to recall seeing it announced that you could watch an episode of it online in the DivX showcase at www.divx.com.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  80's icons on the move! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.