Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:37:09 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nutscraping « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nutscraping  (Read 3843 times)
Nathan
« on: April 13, 2001, 10:17:02 AM »

Off-topic, but it's been brought up here before.

Netscape has "quietly" released 6.01 ("quietly" as in "yeah, yeah, we know 6.0 sucked rocks"), which is supposed to fix at least a significant portions of the flaws of 6.0.

Has anyone wasted the download time to find out?

Nathan
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2001, 03:29:11 PM »

Nutscrape can feel free to eat me. I now belong to the Evil Empire. All Hail Emperor Gates! Huzzah!

...see what happens when you screw up something badly and release it anyway?
Gerry
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2001, 04:44:29 PM »

There is another solution.  Just stick with good old fashioned Netscape 4.7.  It seems to work just fine.  Then once they get all the kinks from 6.X straightened out, you can switch over.  Trust me, this is far preferrable than giving in any more to the evil empire.
Abby
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2001, 12:46:21 AM »

I tried it ... don't bother. The stuff it fixes were features I'd never use anyway. It still sucks on all fronts. They didn't fix the major Java bugs. You still can't uninstall Netscape 6 without wreaking havoc with your system.

Gerry's right ... stick to older Netscapes if you must. While I never would have imagined I'd say this back in 1998, I think IE is the current king of all browsers. Netscape screwed up big time with 6.
Abby
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2001, 12:58:25 AM »

And you know what's worse? I believe I shared the story with this message board of how I spent eight hours designing the site for old Netscape and IE ... then it took me 100 hours to get it to work in Netscape 6.

Except for me (when I'm testing), a total of 10 different people have viewed my site with Netscape 6 since February. I see heaps of older Netscapes ... tons of IE,  healthy numbers of Mozilla and Opera users. No Netscape 6. Not even the Mac users are bothering with N6

I will admit, "beating" Netscape 6 became a trial of will, and I did experience a sense of satisfaction when I finally won. Still, 10 people could have lived with that white space at the bottom of the page WITHOUT the need for 100 hours of HTML fiddling on my end.
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2001, 04:31:01 AM »

Well, at least you gained some troubleshooting experience from it. Probably a lot.

I liked Netscape 4.7x well enough, but frankly, I can customize IE5's features to take up a bare minimum of screen space and make it look the way I want. No glitches, no hangups, no problems. There were some features I loved passionately in Netscape 6--Japanese bookmarks didn't have to be changed, for example, lest they look like gobbledegook, and the customizable toolbar was sweet--but it wasn't worth the friggin' nightmares it caused me. I couldn't find a way to customize that big, hulking buttfugly Netscape 4.7x toolbar without spending money or using programs that fugged my system, so I said to Hell with it.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nutscraping « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.