Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:40:08 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most overrated movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Most overrated movies  (Read 8523 times)
J.R.
« on: July 31, 2002, 02:35:09 PM »

2001: A Space Odyssey- I find this one boring and unwatchable, and I'm an Arthur C. Clarke fan!

The Wes Anderson ouvre- Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. They're not bad movies, I just don't see what the fuss is about.

The Pink Panther films- These are funny? Ooookayy....
Redjack
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 02:47:22 PM »

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon    - watched it twice and can't remember a damn thing about it.

Titanic   - My only regret is that Leonardo and Kate were not on the real titanic when it went down
Brian Ringler
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 03:01:24 PM »

I throw the matrix into this mix, I just don't see what everyone sees about this film
Private Joker
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2002, 03:59:26 PM »

Mean Streets.  And I love anything directed by Martin Scorsece.
raj
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 04:00:39 PM »

You can probably put most Oscar winners down as overrated, only one I can recall offhand is Out of Africa, the alas-woe-is-me-being-a-rich-plantation-owner movie of the year.  Course I saw The Color Purple at the same time, and whatever that movie's flaw are, it at least had characters going through real difficulties.

I like 2001.  Sure it is a bit slow in places, but I like that they got the science right.
A.C. Snob
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 04:46:35 PM »

American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption, and anything by Michelangeo Antonioni
ErikJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 07:25:23 PM »

Anything by Wes Craven-I know I'll get heat for it but I don't think the man has made a decent film....Ever

If God is watching us, the least we can do is be
entertaining.

Brock
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2002, 09:19:53 PM »

Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums are great, Bottle Rocket I can take or leave.

I'm gonna say that Unbreakable is really overrated.  I thought The Godfather was just plain boring.  And everyone on the planet loves The Lion King except me.
Susan
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2002, 10:16:44 PM »

#1 overrated movie: Citizen Kane

I love classic films, I love all kinds of films. This film is ALWAYS #1 or near it on critics most praised lists.

Chris K.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2002, 11:14:48 PM »

The most overrated films to me are:

BRAVEHEART- OK, so it won Oscar for Best Director and Makeup as well as some other ones. Makeup? It was God damn warpaint! And Best Director? Proves that Mel Gibson is as bad a director than he is an actor. And the script, my God awful dialouge abound. But it was written by Randall Wallace, so expect the same historical inaccuracy (i.e. William Wallace DID NOT screw the Princess of Wales) and stereotypical characters (i.e. Gibson is the good guy, everyone else is bad) you will find in PEARL HARBOR. And this film won Oscars? Proves that the Academy Awards wouldn't know a good film if it bit them in the ass.

BLACK HAWK DOWN- I watched it over again and it was a little better, but I still think that it could have had more polish on the script and performances. Otherwise, flat-out dull and drags on too much.

THE MATRIX- Easily proves that if you throw in a bunch of special effects and spend little time on plot, characters, and just abount anything else then the audience will rave about it. Of course, I didn't fall for it. The effects, while not bad, were really nothing special to write home about anyway. I mean, I was impressed but at the same time I was quite bored when it kept going on back and fourth. And the casting? Keanu Reeves also proves that SPEED was a fluke (and I liked that movie too).
Offthewall
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2002, 12:50:22 AM »

like Susan Said with Citizan Kane. One time my friends rented Casablanca. WOW that was boring/dull
J.R.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2002, 02:05:26 AM »

I know we all have opinions, yadda yadda yadda, but anyone who does not see the greatness of The Matrix has something seriously wrong with them. Think about it, have you ever seen a movie that looks like that (up till that point before every movie, warranted or not, ripped it off)? I'd expect a b-movie fan especially to appreciate the melding of sci-fi, Hong Kong style and gunplay.
Jim Hepler
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2002, 02:32:19 AM »

It is Titanic, everyone knows that.
BlackAngel
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2002, 02:50:18 AM »

I have to say Edward Scissorhands.  Maybe because it was after the his first Batman movie that I thought this Tim Burton film would at least think, if not laugh.  It didn't do a thing for me, even if others thought it was good.
J.R.
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2002, 03:38:05 AM »

Some recent overrated movies-

Moulin Rouge- A mess of elements from musicals and comedies apparently edited together by a hypperactive speedfreak with an electric current running through his body.

Shrek- Hardly the subversive laughfest it was made out to be. I chuckled once.

Gladiator- Okay, but it could have been much, much better.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most overrated movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.