Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:14:02 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent Viewings  (Read 14025 times)
Andrew
« on: February 14, 2001, 09:11:04 PM »

A Chinese Ghost Story
First off, some of the shots were just beautiful.  Watching the lovely ghost twirl out tendrils of white fabric toward the camera just knocked my socks off.  The movie has plenty of action, plus some humor and (of course with an alluring female ghost) romance.  My only complaint is that the plot seems to take off at the end.  I was running to keep up with everything happening.
The Plot:  A young man meets a beautiful young woman and falls for her, never suspecting that she is actually a ghost.  Every night she is forced to find male victims for a 1000 year old evil tree spirit.  With the help of a brave Taoist swordsman he must find a way to free her soul and destroy the evil.  Don't miss the stop-motion zombies that are created when the tree spirit kills someone.

Cannibal!  The Musical
Watched this for an upcoming reader review, so I won't spoil much here.  Trey Parker stars in his own film about an expedition from Utah to Colorado that goes bad.  Half the fun is just watching them play off musical numbers with a straight face.  Especially when they are about hanging or, even better, the timeless love song about "when I was on top of you."  (Trey singing about his lost horse.)  Good fun for people who like films like "Oklahoma" or "Brigadoon," though you need a warped sense of humor too.

Dead Space
Marc Singer stars in this remake of "Forbidden World."  A scientific outpost on a remote planet has been working on the cure for humanity's latest killer plague.  Unfortunately, the fools have no safeguards in place and create a killer organism.  Why don't they have airtight clean rooms equipped with robotic arms?  Where is the monster getting all the mass from?  Did anyone else think about snapping off a few of its appendages, then steaming the legs and eating them with a little butter?  I couldn't help but wonder about their protective suits.  Somebody says the atmosphere will break them down after a short time (it is full of caustic chemicals I guess), but nothing is covering parts of his face!  Well, it was just as bad as I remembered it.

Andrew
Mofo Rising
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2001, 12:28:38 AM »

I really liked A Chinese Ghost Story.  I've got the sequels in my queue at Netflix, but they won't be coming for a while.  They also made an anime using this story.  The Chinese must view their movies quite differently than we do, at least judging by the speed-freak pacing in this and other movies.

Cannibal: The Musical was hilarious.  Definitely a better than average way to pass 90 minutes.  I personally like the tasteful way they portrayed the traveller's decision to resort to cannibalism.  Makes the director of Alive look like a butcher.
Matt
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2001, 01:05:15 PM »

I bought Chinese Ghost story from itchee.com for $8.78, but it hasn't arrived yet. After reading both your comments, I really want to see it now!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.