Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:05:55 AM
714307 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stop poking me! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stop poking me!  (Read 1311 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: August 09, 2002, 05:43:39 PM »

At long last I was able to watch my "20 Million Miles to Earth" DVD.  The print is awesome for such a movie.  It also made me sad for the poor Ymir.  It just wanted to be left alone, but every few minutes a human was either prodding it or shooting it.  No wonder it went on a rampage.  The other Marine watching and I kept yelling, "Stop poking me!" at the various humans.  Even the elephant was told to conduct "no pokage."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Chris K.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2002, 07:52:37 PM »

I have fond memories of 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH. I still enjoy this flick for it's effective acting, original storyline, great locations, and best of all fantastic special effects from Ray Harryhausen. Can you believe that Harryhausen was one of the original dudes to inspire effects related features (Yet, filmmakers today use the theme of effects-related features way to often. In a Harryhausen film the storyline would stay in place and show the monster when it needed to be shown, not the other way around). The Dynamation effects are still quite solid and well done. How Harryhausen pulled it off is really quite a feat, and I applaud him. Ray Harryhausen certainly belongs next to the effects masters Eiji Tsuburaya, Willis O'Brien, Jim Danforth, and David Allen.

Also, Harryhausen is quite confused by the creature being called "Ymir" by his fans even though the monster has no name in the film (and never had a name in the original script treatment)! I guess fandom creates the names themselves.
Haze
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2002, 08:01:29 PM »

This is one of the better stop motion movies, although, I like Beast From 20,000 fathoms better, this is still loads of fun for me.

"I am a master of quack-fu"
Ken Begg
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2002, 10:58:08 PM »

Fans of Harryhausen should watch out for Mysterious Island, one of Harryhausen's best movies, when it comes to DVD this fall.  That giant crab is one of his shining moments.

Unfortunately, Beast from 20,000 Fathoms is owned (I think) by Warner Brothers, who are notoriously stingy with DVD releases, especially in terms of older genre stuff.  The best thing you can do to push this along is to buy the recently released Them! disc == which is positively smashing, by the way -- and show them that classic sci-fi sells.  In fact, just buy the Them! DVD for its own sake.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2002, 01:53:19 PM »

Love it, for the same reasons, Andrew. Poor monster! Dude just wants to eat sulfer and be left alone. Hey...if he eats sulfer...do his farts smell like roses? Alien biology, anythings possable! This film has a kenny in it...but, thank all thats Holy, he don't stay for the whole run!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stop poking me! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.