Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:18:31 AM
713385 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Kevin Costner's last 10 films/ grosses « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Kevin Costner's last 10 films/ grosses  (Read 3565 times)
J.R.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2002, 08:28:38 PM »

Do you remember the SNL sketch where Sylvester Stallone tries to help a car accident victim, but the guy just tells him how bad most of his films are? "Over The Top? Did you actually go around telling people that was a good script?". I'd like to see that happen to Costner and several other people.
yaddo42
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2002, 11:15:53 PM »

The thought of Costner being on SNL and mocking his recent film career actually sounds promising. He has a good comedic prescence, look at: BULL DURHAM, SILVERADO, TIN CUP and FANDANGO.

Of the films on the list above that I've seen, TIN CUP  and A PERFECT WORLD are good films, and his performances were good as well. Haven't seen 3000 MILES or 13 DAYS, but I've seen all or part (before I gave upon) of the rest. They all stunk for various reasons, usually Costner was one, but he wasn't the only problem. He needs to give up directing, DANCES WITH WOLVES  was beginners luck apparently.

He just doesn't project enough prescence as a leading man for bigger pictures, and is too limited as an actor for smaller or "independent" films.
AndyC
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2002, 12:21:16 PM »

I liked 3000 miles and 13 Days, but Costner had nothing to do with it in either case.

I can't believe anyone let him do that horrible, fake-sounding accent in 13 Days. How much time did he spend perfecting that? Ten minutes?
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2002, 12:27:52 PM »

This kinda raises a question.  It's quite common to have an American actor speaking english with a accent.

Has anyone ever seen a forgein movie in a foreign language with an actor trying to do an American accent?  What does an "American accent" sound like in japanese, or spanish, or italian?

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Susan
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2002, 12:39:12 PM »

Costner is a cardboard actor, I mean he's the guy who's the SAME guy in every film. I think the only movies I probably ever liked by him were "A Perfect World" and..i hate to admit it but..."American Flyers". If nobody remembers that movie than i'm too old, i went to the theater to see it. ;-) It was probably one of the only 2 80's movies dealing with bicycle races.

AndyC
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2002, 12:47:33 PM »

Actually, Costner was doing an American accent, or one of them. It was just the worst New England accent I've ever heard.

I've heard some British actors Playing Americans. Cary Elwes in Twister, Michael Caine in the Cider House Rules, to name a couple. Carry On Cowboy had British actors playing old west characters.

In most cases, at least those I've seen, the "American" accent is usually from the south or from New York or Chicago. The easy ones.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2002, 10:34:47 PM »

My first Costner experience was "Robin Hood: prince of thieves"  I usually rent movies, but i randomly went and saw this one.  I remember trying to fight the suspension of disbelief thing with his accent.  He's kind of an insane little bastard now that I think of it.  I mean "for the love of the game" is a deeply satanic movie on some level.  I've never seen it, but I could easily see it being used to brainwash people or something.  Wasn't Bull Durham the one where he wears women's underwear under his uniform?  See that's an intersting tension, to have this normal type guy doing that.  it's like a parody of "for the love of the game".   I think someone could make a really good indy type movie about him. He's like the "safe" guy.  But he's so safe that no one can relate to him and he's completely boring!!!
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2002, 11:21:11 AM »

> Wasn't Bull Durham the one where he wears women's underwear under his uniform?

That was a different character, the pitcher

Kevin Costner loves baseball, and supposedly plays pretty decently.  Since he can't really be a pro player, he makes as many movies as he can about baseball ("Field Of Dreams", "Bull Durham", "For Love Of The Game")

My favorite Costner character is still the lanky goofy guy from "Silverado"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Susan
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2002, 01:55:17 PM »

The list i have shows Costner's #1 grossing movie as "dances with Wolves", and "The bodyguard" comes in second. From the looks of the list that's when he hit his peak for big grossing films. He shoulda quit while he was ahead.

yaddo42
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2002, 04:30:05 PM »

Didn't Sam Raimi direct FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME? Costner can even drag down a film by one of the masters. That's one that I only saw parts of, it felt like one of those sappy Hallmark TV movies with a big budget. Utter dreck.
GypsyTRobot
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2002, 05:13:24 PM »

Aren't you talking domestic grosses?  Waterworld has pulled in a lot of money in the international market.  See http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/3.htm which claims that Waterworld is the  141th top grossing movie in the world, having pulled in over $250 million which covers the cost of making it, and then some.  

Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves which must have cost less to make, is at spot 47 with $390.5 million.  Titanic is the all-time winner having made $1,835.4 million (that's almost 2 billion, yo.)  At least Lord of the Rings is at #5 with 860.2 million.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2002, 07:51:03 PM »

I forgot Costner was in The Bodyguard.  All I can think of is that horrible f**king song
J.R.
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2002, 07:54:57 PM »

Actually I've seen many movies with British actors trying American accents. Take a look at Black Hawk Down. I love that movie, but why are so many of the soldiers British/Scottish? Ewan McGregor and Legolas from LOTR do decent jobs, but then Spud from Trainspotting shows up. I found it funny that he was the one who went deaf, which would explain why you can't understand more than two words of every sentence he says. He did the exact same thing in Pearl Harbor, playing a guy with his mouth wired shut. Is this a new war movie trend?
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Kevin Costner's last 10 films/ grosses « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.