Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:35 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DVD Prices « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DVD Prices  (Read 5515 times)
Fritz
« on: April 15, 2001, 07:18:01 PM »

I know DVD movies are still a bit pricey at the moment.
But what has been the cheapest DVD you've bought and how much was it ?

I bought Class of Nuke Em High last week for 5 whole pounds, beat that.
Scott Davis
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2001, 07:32:41 PM »

I bought Leprechaun 4: In Space for 6 bucks canadian!
Ken Begg
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2001, 10:12:33 PM »

Actually, unless you buy speciality DVDs, like those from Criterion, the effective (i.e., street price) on discs is less than what video tapes generally sold for at their heyday.  I've hundreds of DVDs, and probably paid under $20 for over 90% of them.

I especially like MGM's cult movie DVDs.  These list at $15, and can often be found pre-selling for under $10.  (In fact, 800.com is currently pre-selling the June set for about $8.50 each.  Including The Thing with Two Heads!)
littlenemo
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2001, 11:12:03 PM »

I recently found a Vincent Price double Feature for $9.95. "House on Haunted Hill" and "Last Man on Earth". I was truly suprised at the picture quality for "House" considering that another distributer sells the same movie by itself for $15.95. They should have found a better copy of "Last Man on Earth", but as hard as it is to find that movie on video tape, it all makes for a great deal.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2001, 01:40:13 AM »

I bought FRANKENHOOKER for $7.  It doesn't beat $6 Canadian, but it's close.

The one area that DVD's beat VHS, is in recently released movies.  While tapes are priced at around $80-$100 for the rental market, most DVD's are at $20.
Fritz
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2001, 04:16:39 AM »

Most rental/retail DVD's are around $20, but i've seen some production companies release DVD at £80 (scream 3 is an example.)

I find this is pretty disgusing as the disks are the same quality as their retail counterparts and usually have no extra features.

Rental tapes on the other hand last years longer than retail tapes, so $80-100 is fair (plus after a few weeks of release you can pick them up for £10 ex-rental)
Apostic
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2001, 04:48:09 AM »

Bought five Mexican horror flicks - Night of the Bloody Apes (1972 - sort of), Doctor of Doom (1962),  Bloody Vampire (1962), Man and the Monster (1958), Wrestling Women vs the Aztec Mummy (1965) - plus Teenage Zombies.  Price?  Three dollars each.  Scored them at a liquidation sale.  As DVD's, they suck, but I've gotten well over three dollars entertainment out of each of them.

regards,

Apostic (who is damned pleased he has a wife who can find him bargains like this)
Apostic
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2001, 04:50:57 AM »

Oops, I mispoke.

They were three dollars each; five dollars for two.

regards,

Apostic (the unjustifiably smug)
Josh Leman
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2001, 12:30:53 PM »

My friend got Fists of Fury and The Chinese Connection on one disc for five bucks, though it's absolutely the worst DVD I have ever seen--I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by some guy in his garage working off 20-year-old VHS copies.

And you get good deals buying used rental copies.  A DVD doesn't deteriorate the way videotape does, so you get the exact same quality.
Brian Ringler
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2001, 05:49:28 PM »

Troma had their 25 cent dvd sale a while back.  Took a couple months to get the movies but for 25 cents it was worth it
Jim Hepler
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2001, 09:16:00 PM »

I bought Reefer Madness for $4.  Standard price is $5, I think.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DVD Prices « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.